Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Would you get upset if someone calls you a racist? (even jokingly?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    After reading the thread about Why is Britain such a racist country?, and how this could occur or be experienced differently in different parts of the society in the UK, would you get upset if someone calls you a racist? (even jokingly?)

I know that someone's race is not something to make fun of, but this sort of thing happens and if that occurs, some people may (rudely or politely) tell you off (perhaps).

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably laugh, my boyfriend is black. Race is so insignificant to me that the fact that people are racist is puzzling.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I would only be affected if I felt a person genuinely believed I was racist, at which point I'd consider that the reason why must be to do with my behaviour and that I therefore ought to amend it.

ReputationRep:
    As a joke it doesn't matter to me, I would get annoyed if they meant it seriously though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    As a joke it doesn't matter to me, I would get annoyed if they meant it seriously though.
    Such as? (just curious)

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Nah, amount of racial banter in my school is untrue, you get called racist loads, only ever in a joking way. Not entirely sure how I'd react if someone said it seriously. I'd probably just have to laugh it off, it'd be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Such as? (just curious)
    Such as what? :s

ReputationRep:
    No, i would be happy

If they'd come over here, taken our jobs and swindled the taxpayer then yeah. (i kid i kid)

ReputationRep:
    Only if the person accusing me of being racist was black.

ReputationRep:
    I would be very offended. How can you "jokingly" accuse someone of being racist anyway?

ReputationRep:
    lol how can racism ever be a joke? UK is the worst ever racist country, the white brits here think they're all rich and upper class, funny how i had a lad tell me i wasnt british even though i was born here and lived here all my life, them people will get far in life, as far as 6 feet under anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atemukay)
    lol how can racism ever be a joke? UK is the worst ever racist country, the white brits here think they're all rich and upper class, funny how i had a lad tell me i wasnt british even though i was born here and lived here all my life, them people will get far in life, as far as 6 feet under anyways.
    Can you link me to your evidence please? Or are you basing the former on that we actually acknowledge our racism whereas most other countries ignore their and are you basing the latter on the testimony of one person? That makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at school, some douchebag tried to make people believe I was racist because I didn't want to sit next to him in French (yes, really :lolwut:) The truth was, I just couldn't stand him and the fact that he was black was irrelevant, he was just a ****. That upset me though because my French teacher was black, and I hated the thought that she might actually believe him!

ReputationRep:
    not annoyed, but I would probably be like 'What are you going on about' as I don't say racist remarks

ReputationRep:
    You should only feel bad if there is a element of racist ideology within you, if you accept the human race as one with different cultures and lifestyles, you can chill

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not in the slightest, as it couldn't be further from the truth.

ReputationRep:
    No. In many cases, if someone is really offended by an insult, there must be some degree of truth in it.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.