Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Lonesome, alone, lonely, secluded, frightened of crowds. Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I was just a bit younger, I was a very lonesome person. I pretended that I just am a loner, and that I liked being alone.
    That I don't like people, that I actually despise most of them.
    Some things happened which made me change, but that's off topic.

Being in this forum, I have read so many posts by people who regard themselves as loners, who don't view themselves as sociable and suffer from feeling alone in crowds, or who simply find it extremely hard and frightening to make friends.
    I have been astounded, and a bit shocked maybe, by the amount of people who seem to be feeling this way. But maybe more importantly, I can identify with it.

So with this thread, I would like to bring together all the loners out there.
    I hope you will share your story, your biggest fears, your character.

Because you might feel alone - but you're not alone with that feeling!

I used to be exactly like you.

But now I'm perfectly fine. Still hate people and crowds, but it's not as if I'm scared of those situations.

On a side note, isn't bringing together loners quite an anti-loner thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    On a side note, isn't bringing together loners quite an anti-loner thing?
    I real life, yes. But I feel it's different in virtual places such as TSR.
    People aren't afraid here.

Also, some years ago, I felt like I'm the only person in the world who is weird.
    I thought I don't fit in, but everybody except me is 'normal'. (What an awful word, btw!)
    When I watched films like Amelie for example, it was eye-opening and I loved the movie, because I thought there is this wonderful girl who is just as weird as I am.

So I think if people knew they were not alone, it wouldn't necessarily change their situation. But it certainly gives them a bit more self-respect.
    For me, at least, I am positive that it would have made me accept myself more.

(Original post by serendipidista)
    I real life, yes. But I feel it's different in virtual places such as TSR.
    People aren't afraid here.

Also, some years ago, I felt like I'm the only person in the world who is weird.
    I thought I don't fit in, but everybody except me is 'normal'. (What an awful word, btw!)
    When I watched films like Amelie for example, it was eye-opening and I loved the movie, because I thought there is this wonderful girl who is just as weird as I am.

So I think if people knew they were not alone, it wouldn't necessarily change their situation. But it certainly gives them a bit more self-respect.
    For me, at least, I am positive that it would have made me accept myself more.
    I know. I was just trying to be funny.

I recall watching the Amelie film. It's about the French girl, right? Although that's a sort of over the top version for me, it's still highly applicable to people like me.

I think being alone is a positive thing because it shows you can live without others. Many of those people you see with huge groups of friends without them wouldn't last a few days along. I believe it makes us more malleable.

ReputationRep:
    Self confessed loner. Crowds and people don't necessarily make me uncomfortable, I just prefer not to have to deal with them. It gets extremely tiresome after about 20 seconds.

Would much rather curl up with a book, play video games or spend quiet time with my girlfriend/dog. (Yes, I categorize them together, the dog doesn't mind.)

ReputationRep:
    I originally thought this was a supplemental review of the latest piss-poor thriller best-seller.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.