Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, i made friends with a really nice girl off my course who was starting an anime society at uni here. I went along to one meeting when there were just 4 of us and didn't go since cos I don't know all that much about it (I've watched Ghost in the Shell, Vandread, Spirited Away and thats about it!)... anyhoo, she caught up with me and really laid the guilt trip on me about not seeing me in a while and persuaded me to go tomorrow - but its now a proper society with lots of people, and I'm scared.....

...long story short, any major facts/info peeps can spare so I won't look so fresh at this whole thing?

thank you a million times in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    OK, i made friends with a really nice girl off my course who was starting an anime society at uni here. I went along to one meeting when there were just 4 of us and didn't go since cos I don't know all that much about it (I've watched Ghost in the Shell, Vandread, Spirited Away and thats about it!)... anyhoo, she caught up with me and really laid the guilt trip on me about not seeing me in a while and persuaded me to go tomorrow - but its now a proper society with lots of people, and I'm scared.....

...long story short, any major facts/info peeps can spare so I won't look so fresh at this whole thing?

thank you a million times in advance
    Yea, start watching Naruto. It's the best anime out there at the moment. The last episode shown was Episode 74. Hopefully, we should get to see Shino vs Kankuro and Sasuke vs Gaara in the next episode.

Other anime you might wanna check up are: Initial D, Love Hina, Kimi Go Nozomu Eien, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, Full Metal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin, Scrapped Princess and Hunter X Hunter. I dunno if all will be to your taste but they are certainly some of my favourite anime.

And yea, don't talk about Dragonball Z or Yu-Gi-Oh, because they became crap the moment it was dubbed in English. Actually, don't watch Toonami at all because it's all fake.

If you need any other info or help on anime, just ask me or Egan1.

And you are so goddamn lucky to have an anime club at your uni. And even more lucky that you have met a girl who likes anime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    And you are so goddamn lucky to have an anime club at your uni. And even more lucky that you have met a girl who likes anime.
    Thank you very much - she keeps askig me to come and I couldn't run away when she cornered me in Tesco's earlier.

The only made it this year, only just been formed - so you could do it at your uni too My boyf keeps saying how I should widen my interests, and I like the art of anime and manga so I may as well give it a go.

Oh, and I may pester you for more knowledge seeing as you offered

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much - she keeps askig me to come and I couldn't run away when she cornered me in Tesco's earlier.

The only made it this year, only just been formed - so you could do it at your uni too My boyf keeps saying how I should widen my interests, and I like the art of anime and manga so I may as well give it a go.

Oh, and I may pester you for more knowledge seeing as you offered
    You're a lady then? Sorry for being so sexist since I initially thought you was a guy! Well, that's a rarity then. I hardly find girls who are interested in anime. The only ones I know are either Japanese or goes by the name of Egan1.

Oh yea, if you don't have broadband, then forget about all those anime I mentioned there before.

ReputationRep:
    You're a lady then? Sorry for being so sexist since I initially thought you was a guy! Well, that's a rarity then. I hardly find girls who are interested in anime. The only ones I know are either Japanese or goes by the name of Egan1.

Oh yea, if you don't have broadband, then forget about all those anime I mentioned there before.
    s'ok, i guessed you thought i was a guy lol. I'm just so damn manly- there are a few girls into it down here, come to pompey on a tues night at six and I could fix you up with one

Other anime you might wanna check up are: Initial D, Love Hina, Kimi Go Nozomu Eien, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, Full Metal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin, Scrapped Princess and Hunter X Hunter. I dunno if all will be to your taste but they are certainly some of my favourite anime.
    Ahhh... Rurouni Kenshin. The best anime ever created! There is and never will be anything better IMO.

ReputationRep:
    s'ok, i guessed you thought i was a guy lol. I'm just so damn manly- there are a few girls into it down here, come to pompey on a tues night at six and I could fix you up with one
    Portsmouth ey? Ah...an anime soc. so near Hardly anyone I know, apart from my also-anime-loving siblings, actually knows what it is. Well, they have a faint idea now due to my obsessive rants, but apart from that.

There's not really anything you should know before watching anime. It's just like watching anything else, there's not a guide you need to read first. Just enjoy. If there are any specific cultural (or other) references then they'll probably be explaned with subtitles or may be adjusted for a western audience if you're unfortunate enough to be watching it dubbed.

I would however strongly urge that you encourage the group to watch a subbed, rather than dubbed version. Far more enjoyable and you learn a lot as you go. I love the language and intend at some point to learn it properly.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's the same thing but my bf has a cool Akira book that reads from back to front and in a funny order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I don't know if it's the same thing but my bf has a cool Akira book that reads from back to front and in a funny order.
    That'll be the manga. Japanese read the opposite way to us, so even when the manga is translated they still publish it in its original 'direction'.

ReputationRep:
    id say dragonball wasnt a bad placce to start, provided its jap subbed, as its generally better that way. then work ur way progressively into more series such as gundam wing, then maybe inuyasha. after this, watching some well known series such as hunter x hunter, naruto and kenshin are recommended.
    then if u do become a fan (u may hate it by this point), watch some series like onegai teacher, berserk, full metal alchemist + panic, gto and the 1000's of other series that exist!

ReputationRep:
    Some of the best series I've seen so far are cowboy bebop, trigun, hellsing and love hina.

cowboy bebop

a ship with bounty hunters on, gains more characters as the series progresses.

Fav characters; Ein and ED

Trigun

An outlaw named vash the stampede moves around planet, choas ensues.

fav character: milly thomson

Hellsing

The hellsing institution is a government organisation that hunts and kills vampires, mostly using their secret weapon, alcard, a vamp.

Fav character: alcard

Love hina

A boy wants to get into tokyo uni, but fails the entrance exam, do moves to an all girl boarding house to act as caretaker. Choas and lots of misunderstandings ensues.

fav character: all of them

There are also a couple of others you may like, such as slayers on Read or Die.

ReputationRep:
    Let us know how it went and what you watched.

And out of curiosity, what are you studying (at uni)?

---

On a slightly off topic, but anime related note- 'waaa', someone has gone and licensed a good series I was watching. Damn them.

ReputationRep:
    Anime is cool! My boyfriend sent me some Neon Genesis Evangelion tapes and I've been hooked ever since - there's an anime society at Liverpool Uni that I am *so* going to join I'd love to watch some of the others I've heard about such as Sailor Moon and Cowboy Bebop - I've seen plenty of DVDs but they're ever so expensive I did pick up End of Evangelion and Death and Rebirth for £20 at a sci-fi shop though!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.