Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA PSYA3/PSYA4 Psychology Revision Thread 10th/17th June 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smarti94)
    Can someone please give me all the IDA points they would use if a question came up for explanations of institutional aggression?
    Application - in terms of making prisons better i.e. better staff, management, more freedom for prisoners etc. I think somebody called Loosen found that giving prisoners drugs reduced their aggressive behaviour (don't quote me on this though.)

Deterministic - I guess you could argue it just assumes that aggression is due to institutions, but then again the findings are really only generalisable to those in the prison setting.

Gender bias - you could talk about how research focuses mostly on males and a beta bias is formed in which psychologists often assume that male behaviour is similar to womens and ignore the differences.

Alternative explanations - just waffle on about others

Nature vs Nurture - probably the best IDA to use as the importational model is solely nature, but situational is nurture so you could discuss that further

hope this helps!!!

ReputationRep:
    For the 'Genetic factors in Aggression' essay... if I've included too much for AO1, would I be allowed to include the MAOA (Monoamine oxidase A) gene stuff in AO2 just before the Brunner study to do with the MAOA deficiency in Dutch family??

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please give me all the IDA points they would use if a question came up for explanations of institutional aggression?
    I would do socially sensitive research - it's difficult to research and dispositional is a deterministic view of how someone will behave in prison
    It also has practical real life applications - such as strategies to reduce prison violence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunil_karan)
    Hey guys

Im doing relationships, aggression and eating behaviour.
    correct me if im wrong but i dont think Parental Investment has ever come up for relationships, so a high chance of this coming up im guessing?
    Yeah it hasn't come up since Jan 2010 so could be likely!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am currently revising PSYA4 - DEPRESSION AND ADDICTIVE BEHAVIOUR

Just wondering if anyone knows whether on the specification when it states "for example" .. and lists some topics e.g. "psychological explanations for example behavioural, cognitive, psycho-dynamic and socio-cultural"

When it refers to them as "examples", can I just pick say two, and learn them well, or can it specifically ask you about the examples it has suggested, and therefore do I have to learn all of them?

The reason I am questioning this is because in other sections of the specification it states "including" rather than "for example" which I understand to mean they can be asked about explicitly.

If I can just pick a few, how many do you think is reasonable for a 24 marker

Thanks a lot, hope to hear back soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillbachir)
    Hi everyone,

I am currently revising PSYA4 - DEPRESSION AND ADDICTIVE BEHAVIOUR

Just wondering if anyone knows whether on the specification when it states "for example" .. and lists some topics e.g. "psychological explanations for example behavioural, cognitive, psycho-dynamic and socio-cultural"

When it refers to them as "examples", can I just pick say two, and learn them well, or can it specifically ask you about the examples it has suggested, and therefore do I have to learn all of them?

The reason I am questioning this is because in other sections of the specification it states "including" rather than "for example" which I understand to mean they can be asked about explicitly.

If I can just pick a few, how many do you think is reasonable for a 24 marker

Thanks a lot, hope to hear back soon!

No, they're just examples so pick a couple!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an essay example for outline and evaluate the SLT as a social psychological theory for aggression?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJBM)
    No, they're just examples so pick a couple!
    Thank you,

So just to clarify, when it says "example" I just pick a couple but when it says "including" I need to know these all?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any research methods notes, or good ways to revise this, seem to be finding it quite difficult!

ReputationRep:
    For PSYA4, I know that you do not have to use IDA points for the evaluation (but you can still be credited!)

I am doing depression and addictive behaviour.

So what type of evaluations would I use if not IDA and how many evaluative points are needed for an (8+16) mark answer, so 16 marks for evaluation

Also does anyone know how much research (supporting or against) in a 16 mark evaluation, we should be using?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spanishovenfork)
    Hi guys,
    Not sure if I'll get much help here.... but for the essay 'Role of genes + hormones on Gender development' i.e. XX/XY chromosome essay for Gender PSYA3. Anyone know of any effective challenging evidence I could use? Majority of research I'm using is supporting evidence on it so I could do with creating some sort of balanced argument on it. Any help will be widely appreciated. Cheers!
    Theres not much criticising research on chromosomes but you could go as far as saying that xy is the function to start the increase in male hormones (prenatal development usually after 3 months) which lead to the external genitals, therefor if they have insufficient hormones or the individual is AIS , insensitive to the testosterone the appear female when there internal is male, the cases are imperato-mcginley which is a family from the Dominican republic who where all AIS and female, when they hit puberty their male genitalia appeared and berenbaum and baily about mothers who were on make hormone drugs whilst pregnant. Hope this helps, the case studies are always good for a02 as you can say there unique and lack population generalisation and therefore is it not valid to say that everyone's gender is used on the role of genes and hormones as there are other approaches (biosocial -which suggest the impact of psychological factors )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillbachir)
    Thank you,

So just to clarify, when it says "example" I just pick a couple but when it says "including" I need to know these all?
    "Example" may be included in a question but you just pick any couple that you know! Yes "including" you need to know all about as they could possibly ask a specific question on them.

ReputationRep:
    Ive used free will vs. determinism...the two model (deprivation and importation) are deterministic but in the view of the court of law, people do have free will over their behaviour. The free will argument is supported by the fact some prisoners are not aggressive but they would still experience the same deprivations and have similar characteristics.

I think you could also use nature vs. nurture because the importation model suggests it is nature whereas the deprivation more nurture. But I find this harder to discuss.

hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N.1995)
    Think my teacher said maintenance came up in Jan 2013

No formation came up in jan. i checked the paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manika.t)
    No formation came up in jan. i checked the paper
    I sat the paper, tis correct.

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anybody have an good websites for psya4 model answers so does anybody have any?
    Also is psychoanalysis still on the spec, as on the mark scheme is says its not creditworthy but we have been taught it?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any decent A02 points for biological explanations of schizophrenia. Ive got some evaluation for Dopamine hypothesis i.e. support from L-Dopa etc. But I am pretty stumped on evaluating twin/adoption studies or neuro-anatomy or evaluating bio explanations of schizophrenia as a whole besides the usual doesn't account for nurture crap. If anyone could help ...

ReputationRep:
    If I were on about an artificial lab setting vs real world situation, would i say it lacked ecological validity or external validity?

ReputationRep:
    To anyone who has already done psya3, how easy is it to gain marks? I only need 66 UMS marks for an A overall, but this exam is really stressing me out purely because of how much content there is. Is it easy enough to gain marks??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leanneee95)
    To anyone who has already done psya3, how easy is it to gain marks? I only need 66 UMS marks for an A overall, but this exam is really stressing me out purely because of how much content there is. Is it easy enough to gain marks??
    I did this exam in January, and I found the exam very hard too. There is so much content to memorise in very little time at all. But I wouldn't worry too much, the grade boundaries are extremely low. In January, it was 36/72 (50%) for a B, which would be the equivalent of 70 UMS, it's a very stressful exam for many, don't worry

I got a D in the January exam, because I got 27/72. Which is nothing like what I was being marked in class, but that was because I struggled with so much information and had time management issues. As long as you can get a lot of content down in the time given, you should achieve at least 50% which will give you the UMS you need And I feel your pain, because I need an A overall to get to the uni I want to go too :P

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.