Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA PSYA3/PSYA4 Psychology Revision Thread 10th/17th June 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    What do you predict will appear for Depression and Addiction on PSYA4?
    I think one of the therapies might appear for Depression, no idea which
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know all the models of prevention like can we learn 2/3 for psychological 2/3 for biological instead of learning them all ? and the same for public health interventions and legislation do we need to know them all? ): I genuinely don't hve enough time to revise everything !

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing schizophrenia and addictive behaviour and wondered if anyone had any decent studies for cognitive explanations of schizophrenia and studies for cognitive explanations for smoking addiction as i can't seem to find any and any good synoptic points for the explanations to schizophrenia would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by las1995)
    i'm doing schizophrenia and addictive behaviour and wondered if anyone had any decent studies for cognitive explanations of schizophrenia and studies for cognitive explanations for smoking addiction as i can't seem to find any and any good synoptic points for the explanations to schizophrenia would be much appreciated
    The research support for cognitive explanation of Schizophrenia is rubbish. But there is:

Meyer-lindenberg (2002) described schizophrenic mothers and families that are rejecting, overprotecting and dominant as a main influence in schizophrenia

Yellowlees (2002) have developed a machine that produces virtual hallucinations. The intervention is to show schizophrenics that their hallucinations aren't real
    However this has no research support as a successful treatment yet

For smoking I only have one study

Nicotine patches reduced relapse rates when accompanied by CBT to change their positive expectations of smoking

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by las1995)
    Here's a grid of theories etc, cognitive is on there with some good ao2... I'm not studying addiction though, sorry!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Schizophreniagrid.doc (126.5 KB, 441 views)

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got any research methods notes that has helped them? Much appreciated

ReputationRep:

Could someone give me a detailed answer

Design a study to test whether there is a difference in the musical ability of left-handed students and right-handed students. You have access to a sixth form of 200 students.
    You should:
     identify the design that you would use
     explain an appropriate sampling method and justify your choice
     describe the procedure that you would use, including details of how you would
    assess musical ability
     write a suitable debrief for these participants.

It'll be much appreciated thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any predictions for Media, Anxiety disorders (Phobias) or Research Methods?

ReputationRep:
    could someone explain the difference between directional and non directional?
    isit that directional thats a CAUSE so one causes the other
    but non directional is just that theres a relationship but one doesnt cause the other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fhs2013)
    could someone explain the difference between directional and non directional?
    isit that directional thats a CAUSE so one causes the other
    but non directional is just that theres a relationship but one doesnt cause the other
    Directional (or one-tailed) hypotheses are when there is a certain effect going in a certain 'direction'. For example for a non-operationalized hypothesis,

'The accuracy of memory recall worsens as age increases.'

Non-directional (or two-tailed) hypotheses are when there is an effect present, but you are unsure or do not wish to state a 'direction'. For example for another non-operationalized hypothesis,

'Age has an effect on the accuracy of memory recall.'

'Worsens', 'decrease', 'lessens', 'increases', 'improves' etc are all words within a hypothesis that state a direction, therefore making them directional. Often the phrase 'has an effect' or 'changes' or something along those lines, indicates that there is an effect present, but the angle of which is unknown, making it non-directional

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...th_and_Safety/ If anyone is doing the Anomalistic Topic in PSYA4 there's a bit in this Qi episode about Out of Body Experiences at 21:00

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone even attempted any predictions for schizophrenia or anomalistic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJBM)
    Has anybody got any research methods notes that has helped them? Much appreciated
    I have some notes on what to include when designing research if that helps :') I need notes on the rest of RM too though :'(
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: doc Designing research sheet- ideas for method writing.doc (44.0 KB, 169 views)

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have notes for types of intervention thats literally the only page that is confusing me right about now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meldon94)
    Directional (or one-tailed) hypotheses are when there is a certain effect going in a certain 'direction'. For example for a non-operationalized hypothesis,

'The accuracy of memory recall worsens as age increases.'

Non-directional (or two-tailed) hypotheses are when there is an effect present, but you are unsure or do not wish to state a 'direction'. For example for another non-operationalized hypothesis,

'Age has an effect on the accuracy of memory recall.'

'Worsens', 'decrease', 'lessens', 'increases', 'improves' etc are all words within a hypothesis that state a direction, therefore making them directional. Often the phrase 'has an effect' or 'changes' or something along those lines, indicates that there is an effect present, but the angle of which is unknown, making it non-directional
    Ohh right okayy i get it now thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fhs2013)
    Ohh right okayy i get it now thank you
    No problem, glad I could help ^_^

ReputationRep:
    any of you guys know how whats the diff in ao1 and evaluation in models of addiction, ah seems like a stupid question but i dont get it!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone share some help for Addiction........ it's the only topic I don't understand..... anyone have any likely predictions? Really worried :confused:

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing schizophrenia, addiction and research methods
    does anyone have any essay plans for the reliability/validity on the classification of schizo?
    Also any other essay plans will also be helpful
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any ao2/ao3 points on addictive behaviour, it's so difficult and can't find any relevant info on the A.I.D?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.