Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm going to be starting an MA come September, and I'm looking into possibly finding a house/flat share in the general locality.

I'm just wondering if there's anybody who could tell me about their experiences of living in QM associated private accommodation? I specifically would like to know more about how people went about going through the process of finding a suitable place, if landlords are agreeable, and if signing tenancy agreements and other such things are straightforward and comprehensive in comparison to commercial estate agents.

I'd also like to know more about the general area. I have visited the campus and surrounding areas a couple of times during term time for interviews and meetings, and I felt comfortable walking about the area. I have lived in large cities before, such as Manchester and Leeds, and I currently live in Oxford for the moment; but I would like to hear some testimonials regarding living in the east end, as well as some general advice for living there safely.

Thanks in advance to any responses.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know too much about this as I am from Canada and actually haven't gotten a chance to view the campus - BUT I have been using a website called Gumtree to search for accommodations and it is really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebeccaErose)
    I don't know too much about this as I am from Canada and actually haven't gotten a chance to view the campus - BUT I have been using a website called Gumtree to search for accommodations and it is really helpful!
    Have to be careful with gumtree, some properties listed on their aren't quite as they seem. And I've heard that scams are quite prevalent as well.

I've been looking at http://www.moveflat.com and http://www.spareroom.co.uk for possible places to stay. My friends rate these as being more reliable than gumtree for finding decent places.

ReputationRep:
    Unite is really good for private student accommodation

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.