Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone, my name is James Fewtrell and I'm new to this forum. I'm currently an undergraduate studying Accounting and Financial Management at the University of Hull business school.

I’m currently conducting a research study as part of my final year dissertation. I'm attempting to get accountants/senior managers, preferably an internal accountant/member of finance to take a couple of minutes of their time to complete my questionnaire.

However, after spending the last week or so phoning and emailing tens if not hundreds of companies/business', I seem to be getting nowhere. It seems that people are either unwilling or don't have the time to fill in my very short on-line questionnaire.

A few details about the questionnaire:

The study explores the reasons why accountants/managers/directors select the choice of depreciation method’s they do. You will be asked five brief multiple choice questions relating to your industry, your choice of depreciation method(s) for differing non-current assets, your reasoning for your choice and whether your company/business utilises a bonus scheme for managers.

The Questionnaire should not take longer than a couple of minutes to answer. Please answer questions at your own pace but, as the survey will not save your responses, it must be completed at one sitting. Participation is voluntary and you can leave the study at any time by closing your browser. If you leave early, your data will be discounted.

This is an anonymous questionnaire. Please ensure that you do not write your name, or any other comments that will make you identifiable, on the attached questionnaire. By completing the questionnaire you are consenting to take part in this research. You are assumed to have read the preceding notes outlining the purpose and nature of the questionnaire.

I would be very grateful if some of you could take a couple of minutes to complete my questionnaire, my dissertation and therefore whole degree is dependant on getting these results. I would be grateful if you were to complete it, if you could post on the thread, so i can get an idea of the number of respondents.

As you will most likely be practicing accountants rather than business owners/managers, then you may answer in relation to one of your clients? i.e. the method and reasons why either you choose on their behalf their accounting method, or the clients reasons if they have provided input into the decision.

Thanks, James.

Questionnaire:

surveymonkey.com/s/WHGHHHK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J1M1)
    However, after spending the last week or so phoning and emailing tens if not hundreds of companies/business', I seem to be getting nowhere. It seems that people are either unwilling or don't have the time to fill in my very short on-line questionnaire.
    Perhaps because you are trying to see whether they choose depreciation methods based on effect on profits rather than the correct and proper way of choosing an appropriate depreciation method; so they wouldn't want to admit that in case it comes back to them in some way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)
    Perhaps because you are trying to see whether they choose depreciation methods based on effect on profits rather than the correct and proper way of choosing an appropriate depreciation method; so they wouldn't want to admit that in case it comes back to them in some way!
    That may be true, however it is stated that the questionnaire is anonymous, and so i cannot see who has replied, secondly, if that were the case, they would just give 'no importance at all' for that reason.

Anyway, thanks for your comment!

Any chance you could fill in the questionnaire?

Thanks, James.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J1M1)
    That may be true, however it is stated that the questionnaire is anonymous, and so i cannot see who has replied, secondly, if that were the case, they would just give 'no importance at all' for that reason.

Anyway, thanks for your comment!

Any chance you could fill in the questionnaire?

Thanks, James.
    I know that it is anonymous but I'm just saying that might be the perception of some of the people you ring up

I'm afraid I'm not a current accountant in industry so it doesn't apply to me!

But good luck with the survey

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.