Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying for a Business and Management degree at The University of Exeter Business School, on a 4 year With Industrial Experience Program.

I am looking to spend this year in industry at one of the large consultancy firms. I order to get into such a company, besides the rigorous application process, where can i get some RELEVANT work experience to bolster my CV?

I have currently undertaken a week at a small marketing business, and have had part time jobs in retail and door to door sales. However, i am looking for experience more relevant to consultancy. Any ideas?

Cheers guys!

ReputationRep:
    It's more about what have you learnt from those experiences. During your week did you add any value to the company or anything you worked on?( I'm guessing not since it was only a week.) How did you cope interacting with customers in the sales job, were you empathetic etc. and able to sway them to see your point of view?

You need to think about what they are looking for, then consider if your existing experience can be used to demonstrate those qualities. If not, then time to start looking for other things to add that will.

"large consultancy" is quite vague. Large means different things to different people. If you are targeting MBB then you may struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    It's more about what have you learnt from those experiences. During your week did you add any value to the company or anything you worked on?( I'm guessing not since it was only a week.) How did you cope interacting with customers in the sales job, were you empathetic etc. and able to sway them to see your point of view?

You need to think about what they are looking for, then consider if your existing experience can be used to demonstrate those qualities. If not, then time to start looking for other things to add that will.

"large consultancy" is quite vague. Large means different things to different people. If you are targeting MBB then you may struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, thank you, this is what i was expecting. I have already begun to associate desired qualities to roles that i have had experience in. I am just worried that these roles are not explicitly linked to consulting, and week/fortnight placements within consulting seem to be near impossible to find.

What areas would a consultancy firm like to see that i had experience in? Accountancy? Finance?

By Large, i mean your Deloitte's, KPMG, Capgemini etc.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.