Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I graduated with a 2.1 in Graphic Design in 2010. Since, i have struggled to get into the field. I came out of Uni, perhaps naively thinking i could take some time out and then look for a job. Little did i realize the need to a minimum of 2 years experience (the classic catch22) The thing is, now i am soo out of the loop with all things design that I'm not sure if I even want to get into the field. When i was at Uni, it was mainly print based design, now it's all web/Digital based and i get put off applying by the need to know HTML, CSS, Java script etc...

I know a lot of people don't end up using their degree and i would like to know how they get into other fields, and what fields are good to get into? The only jobs that seem to be advertised are Admin or Trainee Recruitment consultants. I guess, I'm just lacking a clear career path.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Jone5, are the parameters on your query a bit wide? Unless I am mistaken, you are asking about ALL possible jobs you might get into?

Make sure you REALLY don't want to be a graphic designer, as you might be at the best point to get into it now (and learn the software stuff) rather than after you've been doing something else for ten years! good luck.

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth doing some free work for small businesses/bloggers/friends/parents of friends to build up a portfolio, get back into it, build your confidence, and get some testimonials? Then you could apply for more jobs or freelance?

ReputationRep:
    The world of Graphics Design is a nightmare. I have freelanced quite a bit over the last 6 years and its not easy
    ; basically its one big competition between all of us graphics designers. The winner is usually the one with the most skills and experience. Although it should really be about the most attractive portfolio.

Its tough. You need to want to do this, and know its what you want to do with your life. If your half assed at it like I was/am, then you won't make a career out of it. You will need to know about the newest technology, the newest code and software available. Print design is becoming obsolete these days unfortunately
    You are obviously a creative person, and might be young and eligible for new business grants. So why not use your creativity that way, and be your own boss!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.