Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is it better to run before or after eating? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a lot of people say it's better to run before eating because that way you burn off more fat, but whenever I try it I just feel really low on energy and almost as if I'm going to faint. I seem to run best and with most energy when 1.5-2 hours after eating dinner, but I'm not sure whether this is good for burning fat, although to be honest that's not my major concern anyway as I'm pretty skinny as it is.

ReputationRep:
    It makes no difference with regards to fat burn. You'll burn the same number of calories regardless. Everyone is different. Personally I prefer having breakfast and then running perhaps two hours later, but others could run for over an hour on an empty stomach and be fine. Swap things around, see how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    Run after eating. If you have more energy after you eat then you'll work harder and burn more calories than if you were to run with less energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siman89)
    I've seen a lot of people say it's better to run before eating because that way you burn off more fat

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    It makes no difference with regards to fat burn. You'll burn the same number of calories regardless.

it's incredible that people still push this kind of crap. you only need to think about it for 5 seconds to realise that it makes absolutely no sense.

ReputationRep:
    I personally eat a smallish meal before cardio which I do in the morning, so a small bowl of porridge. Then I'd eat something straight after like a mix of nuts/dried fruit. Just 2 small portions either side of cardio work is best for me.

If I try anything on an empty stomach I feel absolutely horrendous, faint dizzy and a bit whurly and often can't carry on so I never get a proper cardio session. But the same applies with a meal that's too big, trying to run with a full breakfast sloshing around in your stomach isn't pleasant.

So for me, just a small serving of porridge beforehand (literally just porridge oats and cold milk) and then another small portion of something like dried fruit/nut mix after.

Don't run on an empty stomach if it can't manage it.
    Don't run on a full stomach if you can't manage it.

Do whatever gives you the longest and most explosive workout.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever feels best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Never workout before breakfast. You won't burn more fat, doing cardio a couple of hours after breakfast speeds up your metabolism and you will burn more calories and have more energy. On cardio days I eat breakfast at 9am, do cardio at 11am for 1 hour and a half and then drink a recovery shake

(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    it's incredible that people still push this kind of crap. you only need to think about it for 5 seconds to realise that it makes absolutely no sense.
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    urgh. sod running on a full stomach, makes me feel sick. do it the other way round, work up an appetite.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever works for you, you don't necessarily have to eat breakfast beforehand - on weekends I workout in the morning on an empty stomach and I'm fine. Weekdays I leave at least 2 hrs after I eat to digest before and I can run a solid 7k no problem.

ReputationRep:
    I usually eat something small like an apple or a cereal bar. (probably not the best foods but it works for me!)
    If I eat a big meal beforehand, I just don't have a good run. My stomach tends to feel horrible. I can't run on empty though... You've just got to test things out really. I believe a lot of people like to eat a banana before a run... It's something light and easy on the stomach. (I hate bananas D: aha)

I eat a proper breakfast when I get back from my run!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siman89)
    I've seen a lot of people say it's better to run before eating because that way you burn off more fat, but whenever I try it I just feel really low on energy and almost as if I'm going to faint. I seem to run best and with most energy when 1.5-2 hours after eating dinner, but I'm not sure whether this is good for burning fat, although to be honest that's not my major concern anyway as I'm pretty skinny as it is.
    I tend to not eat immediately before it but will never go on a completely empty stomach. If I'm going a very long distance, I will take something to give me some energy because after 15 miles or so you have lost a lot of energy.

ReputationRep:
    I think running before eating is much better than running after eating even after 2 hours cause it takes almost 4 to 5 hours to digest food fully.

ReputationRep:
    Your body diverts most its energy on eating so naturally you feel tired after eating - particularly since blood flow to stomach etc increases, in addition insulin levels rise causing glucose to get stored, so eating AFTER exercise is most advantageous

Dont know about running but long distance cyclists eat small but frequently over their route. Also a decent meal 1-2 hours before any endurance cant be too bad for you. To avoid bonking out you gotta get energy from somewhere. Hydration is absolutely critical also.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard its better to run before because that way you are burning the fat you have. If you run after you are burning what you have just eaten and it doesn't make much difference.
    I personally don't think it will make much difference, if you burn 200 calories and then eat 300 or eat 300 and then burn 200, you have still gained 100.
    If you were bothered about burning fat, don't go to bed hungry because your body goes into 'fat storing' mode to save energy, drink lots of water because it makes you feel full and you don't eat as much, and eat a big breakfast even if you're not hungry because the morning is when your metabolism is fastest and a big breakfast stops cravings throughout the day
    That's all I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.moi.x)
    I've heard its better to run before because that way you are burning the fat you have. If you run after you are burning what you have just eaten and it doesn't make much difference.
    I personally don't think it will make much difference, if you burn 200 calories and then eat 300 or eat 300 and then burn 200, you have still gained 100.
    If you were bothered about burning fat, don't go to bed hungry because your body goes into 'fat storing' mode to save energy, drink lots of water because it makes you feel full and you don't eat as much, and eat a big breakfast even if you're not hungry because the morning is when your metabolism is fastest and a big breakfast stops cravings throughout the day
    That's all I know
    If you eat when you get back, then you just replace the calories you've burned.

Exercise and eating is an ongoing thing, rather than an item by item thing. If you eat 30,000 calories over a certain time period, and burned 33,500 over the same period, you will have lost a pound. It makes little to no difference whether you ate all of those calories before, after or during (not that I'm advising that obviously, lol) exercise.

ReputationRep:
    Just do whatever is comfortable. Some people don't cope well with a full stomach, others manage better.

This is a complete non-issue. The only time there is going to be an issue is if you get someone who is an athlete or otherwise very active and burns through energy at a rate that would mean they risk being depleted if they don't eat around training.

Otherwise, if you live an average lifestyle and eat enough in total, you are going to have enough energy in your body to cope with a 5 mile run or whatever.

I mean, if you have a big plate of rice for tea, sit around and then go to bed and wake up and go for a run without breakfast - it may be 12 hours or so since you ate but that energy is still there; your muscles and liver are still full of glycogen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    It makes no difference with regards to fat burn. You'll burn the same number of calories regardless.
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)

It's incredible how wrong you are. You burn up to 20% more fat if you don't eat before you run. This means running in the morning. Not eating before a run in the afternoon doesn't count...as you've already eaten that day hence your body is not in a carbohydrate reduced state.

Reason? Quite simple. If you exercise after an overnight fast, you will use a high proportion of fat as a fuel source since your carbohydrate stores are low.

Evidence? All over the internet:

A team from University of Northumbria asked twelve active men to perform a bout of treadmill exercise at 10am, either after they had eaten breakfast or in a fasted state having not eaten since the evening before. Following the exercise all participants were given a chocolate milkshake recovery drink. Later in the day, participants were provided with a pasta lunch which they were asked to eat until they felt 'comfortably full'. Those who had exercised in a fasted state burned almost 20 per cent more fat compared to those who had consumed breakfast before their workout.
    Researchers at the University of Birmingham and elsewhere assigned seven people to cycle three days a week, followed by an intense session an hour later without eating. Another seven people followed the same regime, without the instruction to fast. Though members of the group that didn't eat performed worse on the intensive training, they burned a higher proportion of fat to carbohydrates than the group that ate. The results were published by Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, the journal of the American College of Sports Medicine.
    In a 2008 study, Hespel and colleagues tested the effects on men who did endurance training without eating versus those who ate. In the athletes who hadn't eaten, the researchers found a spike in the amount of proteins needed to process fat, meaning their bodies had been primed through fasting to burn more fat. Hespel recommends people do this kind of training before breakfast, since eating carbohydrates interrupts the process of metabolizing fat for about six hours afterward.
    All fat burning processes in your body are controlled by your sympathetic nervous system (SNS). The SNS is inherently activated by exercise and lack of food.

The combination of fasting and exercising maximizes the impact of cellular factors and catalysts (cyclic AMP and AMP Kinases), which force the breakdown of fat and glycogen for energy.

So yes, training on an empty stomach is actually a very effective way to force your body to burn fat.

It's also important to realize that eating a full meal, particularly carbohydrates, will inhibit the SNS and reduce the fat burning effect of your exercise. Instead, eating lots of carbs activates your parasympathetic nervous system (PSNS), which promotes energy storage—the complete opposite of what you're aiming for.

You are correct that you don't burn more calories. But that is only half the story. Our bodies aren't that simple. Do the same exercise, same intensity without eating before hand (i.e. exercise in the morning) - you burn more fat. Not calories, fat. However if not eating is going to make you a pansy and do less exercise, it is probably worth eating before.

Also important to note:

Fasting exercisers had a smaller appetite later in the day, and did not consume more calories to compensate for early-morning hunger, compared to their peers who had eaten before their workout.

tl;dr?

Exercising before eating does encourage the body to burn more fat. Not calories however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by one2three_abc)
    It's incredible how wrong you are. You burn up to 20% more fat if you don't eat before you run. This means running in the morning. Not eating before a run in the afternoon doesn't count...as you've already eaten that day hence your body is not in a carbohydrate reduced state.

Reason? Quite simple. If you exercise after an overnight fast, you will use a high proportion of fat as a fuel source since your carbohydrate stores are low.

Evidence? All over the internet:

You are correct that you don't burn more calories. But that is only half the story. Our bodies aren't that simple. Do the same exercise, same intensity without eating before hand (i.e. exercise in the morning) - you burn more fat. Not calories, fat. However if not eating is going to make you a pansy and do less exercise, it is probably worth eating before.

Also important to note:

tl;dr?

Exercising before eating does encourage the body to burn more fat. Not calories however.
    It absolutely makes sense that your body would burn more fat if there aren't food sources to give it the energy that it needs. But it also makes sense that, although the fat may have been burned, the food you eat after the exercise will get stored straight back because you're not doing any exercise to burn it.

It it was as easy as that, and it genuinely did burn 20% more fat, permanently, then everyone would be doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I usually have breakfast at say 9-10am then an hour later I will do my cardio.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.