Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Ever since I visited KCL last year, I've been in love with it, thinking I would firm it no matter what. However... now that it's getting close to making my decision, I'm worried...

It's between KCL and Exeter, and a worrying thing to choose between them is if KCL ACTUALLY feels like a University since it is located in London and everything is so spread out.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I've been wondering (I haven't visited yet).

Or does it just feel like you live in some flats, catch a bus to a building, then catch a bus home...?

ReputationRep:
    i'd be interested in finding out what current students would say to this question too

ReputationRep:
    I would say that it does still have cohesion even though there are multiple campuses and things are somewhat spread out. For most courses you will be based at either the Strand, Waterloo, Denmark Hill, or Guys campus, each of which are pretty self-contained themselves (though some departments I think use both Strand and Waterloo). But campuses have their own dining options and both Guy's and the Strand campuses have student bars.

It's definitely not self-contained in the sense you'll have to travel from halls to the academic buildings. It won't be right next to unless you're in Stamford Street and based at Waterloo or in the halls on the Guy's campus. It'll be similar to when you move out of halls and mainly a London-based thing.

I would recommend visiting to get a sense of it if at all possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same predicament!

I love King's but I keep thinking it'll be just like school/sixth form.... I couldn't see any obvious sense of community like I did when visiting other universities.

ReputationRep:
    The classic campus vs city uni dilemma! Do you know which building you'll be based at? King's is a little odd. I always thought it was clumped together with the Bloomsbury lot but actually the only building I've seen is on the Strand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hormonal)
    Ever since I visited KCL last year, I've been in love with it, thinking I would firm it no matter what. However... now that it's getting close to making my decision, I'm worried...

It's between KCL and Exeter, and a worrying thing to choose between them is if KCL ACTUALLY feels like a University since it is located in London and everything is so spread out.
    One of the factors in my decision to leave UCL was an unbearable sense of not being part of something. Meaning absolutely no sense of community. If community is what you want I would urge you to seriously reconsider London - I thought it was for me and it definitely isn't.

Consider your options and think carefully about what you want.

Jak good luck!

ReputationRep:
    as a current kcl student, i very strongly feel like part of a community. yes, we're across different campuses, but those in themselves feel like a community; and the student body is incredibly active, with more societies than i could ever list. i've made some amazing friends in my time at kcl from different year groups, different courses, and different halls, and i'd wholeheartedly recommend it

in my first year i didn't get stuck in per se, and it didn't feel as community-based then (although it certainly did within my course and my halls) - if you get stuck in to the social side e.g. societies, extra-curriculars, there's a great community feel

(sorry for ramble, i'm a final year and i'm going to miss it loads when i graduate!)

ReputationRep:
    The open day felt like going into a car dealer.

ReputationRep:
    I am in exactly the same position! I was set in kings, but loved Exeter and now cannot make a decision! I really can't pick, so difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Kings isn't very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    Kings isn't very good.
    Like to expand on that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDUK)
    Like to expand on that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They rejected me. Therefore I hate it now.

ReputationRep:

Sorry to hear that; what did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, you can't argue with that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDUK)
    I am in exactly the same position! I was set in kings, but loved Exeter and now cannot make a decision! I really can't pick, so difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The "University experience" is extremely important. Nothing beats spending it on a campus such as Exeter! It is virtually a small village with only kids your age, not only studying and living together, but practicing sports, pub, cinema, theater,etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your all your responses, I'm even more confused now >.< is the experience that bad? I'm not terribly fussed with it feeling like a university or not, but will it affect me making friends my age or not?

If Kings only had a worse reputation than Exeter, this decision would be much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hormonal)
    Thanks for your all your responses, I'm even more confused now >.< is the experience that bad? I'm not terribly fussed with it feeling like a university or not, but will it affect me making friends my age or not?

If Kings only had a worse reputation than Exeter, this decision would be much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is there any way you could visit again before making your decision? That's the only real way you can get a better feel of it, because although you're getting other people's opinions, it's yours that matters most with a decision such as this.

As a side note though, I'm at Imperial and I love living in London - it's expensive, but it's a great city to live in, so I am really enjoying it! You get quite a unique university experience here, from what I can tell from my other friends at universities not in London. IMO, benefits of London outweigh the disadvantages of a non-campus uni.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the same exact dilemma. I've always been set on Kings but now I actually have to choose and I've got Nottingham as a second choice, but I'm leaning towards it more and more.
    I've always loved Kings and I really don't want to make a choice based on a sudden impulse (as I've been known to do that) but Nottingham has more of a community feel..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll be able to visit again, and I (stupidly)never even considered visiting Exeter as I didn't think I'd ever want to firm it over Kings. FML.

I think I will be firming Kings, will decide at the end of the week, so any more responses are very much appreciated.

@Brighteyes1994, the money doesn't worry me too much (wish I could say the same of my parents) but thank you, you've tipped me back towards Kings

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.