Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Should I drop A Level Economics and take Literature? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, the title says it all. To do, or not to do?!

Firstly, I sat for my Edexcel IGCSE's, not GCSE's. I'm sitting for GCE A Levels, and I'm from South East Asia. I stated that clearly because a lot of people have been telling me that the syllabus is different for students in UK and for international students.

Keeping that in mind, I currently have 4 subjects - maths, physics, chemistry and economics. I really really WANT to take Literature, but taking five subjects would be really difficult, and frankly just a lot of added pressure. So I was thinking about dropping Eco and taking Lit instead. I checked the requirements for a few universities on taking up courses based on Economics, and none of them actually ask for Economics in A Levels - they just ask for 3 A's.

The thing is, I'm still not sure what I want to study later, so I want to keep my options open. BUT I really love Literature, and my IG's were pretty good too (54/60 in Paper 1 and 37/40 in Paper 2). So, keeping the "I'm an international student so might have a different syllabus than the one you follow in UK" in perspective, what do you guys think? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-know-who)
    Hey guys, the title says it all. To do, or not to do?!

Firstly, I sat for my Edexcel IGCSE's, not GCSE's. I'm sitting for GCE A Levels, and I'm from South East Asia. I stated that clearly because a lot of people have been telling me that the syllabus is different for students in UK and for international students.

Keeping that in mind, I currently have 4 subjects - maths, physics, chemistry and economics. I really really WANT to take Literature, but taking five subjects would be really difficult, and frankly just a lot of added pressure. So I was thinking about dropping Eco and taking Lit instead. I checked the requirements for a few universities on taking up courses based on Economics, and none of them actually ask for Economics in A Levels - they just ask for 3 A's.

The thing is, I'm still not sure what I want to study later, so I want to keep my options open. BUT I really love Literature, and my IG's were pretty good too (54/60 in Paper 1 and 37/40 in Paper 2). So, keeping the "I'm an international student so might have a different syllabus than the one you follow in UK" in perspective, what do you guys think? :/
    If you really want to take it, at the end of the day you don't want to regret anything, so take it. The other subjects that you have done are really good for getting into university with, and they LOVE you to show that you can vary subjects. Also, having an essay-based A Level is good to have as you write LOADS of essays in uni

you're right about not taking 5 - I tried doing that and ended up dropping not one but two of mine in order to get the grades I wanted to make up the time universities don't really care about your AS anyway, so i think you should go for it it's always nice to have a change! and if you want to keep your options open, it would be really, really good to do the variety

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.