Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    This year (my 3rd UCAS cycle) I have been rejected from 3 medical schools. Still have 1 more, but I have resigned to accept that I am probably going to get rejected.

So I have decided that I will take the GAMSAT this year and ensure I have more option and choice when applying to medicine (again!)

So I ask you, fellow TSR members, how does one best prepare for the GAMSAT exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oz40)
    This year (my 3rd UCAS cycle) I have been rejected from 3 medical schools. Still have 1 more, but I have resigned to accept that I am probably going to get rejected.

So I have decided that I will take the GAMSAT this year and ensure I have more option and choice when applying to medicine (again!)

So I ask you, fellow TSR members, how does one best prepare for the GAMSAT exam?
    Hi, I have sat the GAMSAT twice now, once as a dummy run (I know, a bit mental) where I did no work what so ever. This gave me a good idea of the endurance needed and the type of questions you will be asked.

From that dummy run I realized I needed to scratch up on my sciences and practice writing essays. I didn't go on any formal courses but employed a chemistry tutor. In hindsight I should have hired a physics one too as this is my weak area.

I sat it again in September and got really good marks in my first two sections but again my science was below the 55 cut off (by 2 marks). The big difference for me was the amount of mental maths questions. It is no good just studying a science and knowing it inside out. You need to be able to apply it and like the first section, you need to be able to apply critical analysis.

My starting point was the Griffiths GAMSAT review which tells you all the good text books to use, gives advice on the essays and how to do the first section well. If you don't have a science background and are willing to part with some money, I would invest in a good a- level tutor who is flexible enough to cover the types of questions in the GAMSAT.

Good websites to check out are: http://e-gamsat.com/ (a bit out dated as you are no longer allowed to use a calculator)

http://www.gamsat-prep.com/GAMSAT-Free which has some free questions as has
    http://www.gamsatpreparationcourses....FUnMtAodIk4Ahw

And finally, don't forget to use the official ACER practice questions. The more you practice the more comfortable you will be with the type of question. However, they have not renewed these practice tests in two years so keep the full length practice ones for closer to the exam and use them for your timing (another big issue in the exam).

Hope this helps and good luck.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.