Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    There is no point in trying to impress tutors by reading stuff you aren't really interested in; also it will be balls-achingly tedious for you. Look around until you find one or two things that grab your attention / imagination, then go into them in depth.

But if you want a fun general chemistry-related text for starters, try "Periodic Tales".

:sheep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    There is no point in trying to impress tutors by reading stuff you aren't really interested in; also it will be balls-achingly tedious for you. Look around until you find one or two things that grab your attention / imagination, then go into them in depth.

But if you want a fun general chemistry-related text for starters, try "Periodic Tales".

Ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Basically what the person above said: browse the science section in a library and find what interests you. I would suggest that you look for something that is maybe a little challenging for you, but obviously tutors won't expect you to be reading university level texts at this stage.

A lot of non fiction books have lists at the back which recommend similar books, so once you've found one that you like, it shouldn't be difficult to go from there and just explore your interests. If you're really looking for something to impress/challenge, try looking around for chemistry reading lists set by universities. Again, it's not really worth attempting to read something just because it sounds good; make sure you are interested in the subject. Also don't read something that is too far above your level (you can work up to it by first reading more accessible books): if you are asked about it during interview, the tutors will know immediately if you don't know what you're talking about.

Don't forget things like online articles/science publications and magazines!

ReputationRep:
    This looks good, too - I've just ordered it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncle-Tungst...ef=pd_sim_b_32

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend having a look at new scientist/scientific american magazines putting in how you read about up to date research is good, interesting and the articles are shorter so easier to read. I also suggest picking something that looks interesting from the reading list, I did this for my subject and the book I got was fascinating and definitely confirmed that I want to study it at uni.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.