Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Work/Uni Related Help Needed! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm looking for some guidance on the below if anyone has any ideas!

I temporarily withdrew from the University of Leicester in 2011 after completing my second year and (somehow) managed to land a job as a Financial Crime Investigator for quite a big bank. I then decided in 2012 to withdraw from the university entirely on the basis that I felt that I did not need a degree to succeed in my career.

To cut a long story short, I have decided to go back in October to complete my third year of my English and History (BA) course. I have only been in this job for about 6 months so it was hard to tell my manager that I was planning on going back as I work in a small team, I know that I provide valuable input and I have put her in quite a difficult situation.

I have asked that my employer release me on study leave from October - June 2014 (unpaid) to allow me to complete my course, and I intend to put this in writing as per the guidelines under Section 63D of the Employment Rights Act 1996. See:https://www.gov.uk/training-study-work-your-rights

The problems that face my manager are mainly the difficulty of finding and training a new member of staff for an 8 month secondment, the worry that I am not going to come back after completing my course, and the fact that she is unable to justify how having the degree will benefit my role and the company as a whole.

In order to submit my request, there are a number of questions that I need to answer, namely:

1. How will the proposed study or training improve your effectiveness in the business?
    2. How will the proposed study or training improve the performance of the business?

Does anyone have any ideas on how best to approach these questions? I clearly already have the necessary skills and knowledge to do the job that I am doing, but I need help with pinning down what - in terms of skills - having a degree will prove?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.