Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Employment agencies - how do they work? Watch

• PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for temporary employment to fit in alongside my permanent job. I applied for a temporary admin role which was a 3 month contract or something, which was advertised by an employment agency. They invited me for an interview on Wednesday, but how do they actually work? Am I being interviewed for the actual job, or do they just want to know what I'm looking for so they can send me "jobs that match my skills"?

Also, if it is an interview, do I need to go for another interview with the company that the employment agency are hiring for? I'd like to know what to expect because I have friends who registered with an employment agency and they just took their details and said they'd "keep them updated" and never got in touch again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mythtakes)
    I'm looking for temporary employment to fit in alongside my permanent job. I applied for a temporary admin role which was a 3 month contract or something, which was advertised by an employment agency. They invited me for an interview on Wednesday, but how do they actually work? Am I being interviewed for the actual job, or do they just want to know what I'm looking for so they can send me "jobs that match my skills"?

Also, if it is an interview, do I need to go for another interview with the company that the employment agency are hiring for? I'd like to know what to expect because I have friends who registered with an employment agency and they just took their details and said they'd "keep them updated" and never got in touch again.
    Its an interview to impress the employment agency or to find out more about yourself and you will than register with them. If they decide that they want to send you out for the job interview than they will sort that out.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vibenation)
    Its an interview to impress the employment agency or to find out more about yourself and you will than register with them. If they decide that they want to send you out for the job interview than they will sort that out.
    I thought so. Do you have any experience of employment agencies? I'm not sure if it'll just turn out to be more hassle than it's worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mythtakes)
    I thought so. Do you have any experience of employment agencies? I'm not sure if it'll just turn out to be more hassle than it's worth.
    I don't have much experience when it comes to employment agencies but I had phone conversations with them and they exampled to me the full idea on this issue. Its is not worth the hassle and you will just end up getting your hopes up for nothing. Stick to 1 or 2 agencies for this, but avoid vacancies where you see an employment agencies name on it and apply directly to employers.

ReputationRep:
    same here, don't really know what reed and other similar agencies actually do

do you just register with them and they'll do the work of finding a job for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    same here, don't really know what reed and other similar agencies actually do

do you just register with them and they'll do the work of finding a job for you?
    Basically they will have your CV than they will register you with them. They will ask their clients which is the employer about the interviews. So you will have an interview with the agency, if you pass that than you will have an interview with employer.

The employment agency will have a set of criteria for each vacancy, but that will be discussed with you.

Source: 3 agencies

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.