Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to know this for OCR A2 chemistry:

the earliest examples of stereoisomerism involved Co3+ complex ions. In 1889, Sophus Mads Jorgenson, a Danish scientist, observed that some complex ions could form salts that had different colours.

Chemistry tends to name drop alot in the textbooks but I never learn the names but I'm worried it might be different in A2 and that we actually do need to know the names now.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celina10)

the earliest examples of stereoisomerism involved Co3+ complex ions. In 1889, Sophus Mads Jorgenson, a Danish scientist, observed that some complex ions could form salts that had different colours.

Chemistry tends to name drop alot in the textbooks but I never learn the names but I'm worried it might be different in A2 and that we actually do need to know the names now.
    Do not learn the names unless you want to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celina10)

There are some rules named after chemists (e.g. Markovnikovs rule), but you don't really even need to know the name so long as you know the rule.
    You definitely won't need to remember any names like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMaydom)
    There are some rules named after chemists (e.g. Markovnikovs rule), but you don't really even need to know the name so long as you know the rule.
    You definitely won't need to remember any names like this.
    I think Markovnikov is one of the few you do need to know for A level mark schemes. Potentially also Arrhenius/Bronsted-Lowry/Lewis as well when it comes to acid/base theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    I think Markovnikov is one of the few you do need to know for A level mark schemes. Potentially also Arrhenius/Bronsted-Lowry/Lewis as well when it comes to acid/base theory.
    Yeah, but you could probably get away with just knowing the result for markovnikovs rule. (not for the acid theory though as they will want the different definitions named)

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.