The Student Room Group

Should I drop maths?

I'm doing my AS's at the moment in Maths, Business Studies, ICT and Geography.

I've decided over the past 6 months that I want to do computer science at a good uni.

Now, I'm planning to drop maths because it's a pain in the @rse and to get decent grades I have to work extremely hard, unlike all my maths classmates who seem to learn and understand things very quickly. I just about got a C in Core1. The thing is, by me having to work so hard in maths to get good grades, i'm spending less time in the other subjects which I feel I can get A's on and I feel it could bring down these grades.

Should I drop maths so I can do well in my other subjects and free myself of misery? Or would it be best to keep it because it's important for computer science?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by QPRboy

I've decided over the past 6 months that I want to do computer science at a good uni.

Now, I'm planning to drop maths because it's a pain in the @rse and to get decent grades I have to work extremely hard, unlike all my maths classmates who seem to learn and understand things very quickly. I just about got a C in Core1. The thing is, by me having to work so hard in maths to get good grades, i'm spending less time in the other subjects which I feel I can get A's on and I feel it could bring down these grades.

Should I drop maths so I can do well in my other subjects and free myself of misery? Or would it be best to keep it because it's important for computer science?

Well, at the respectable universities, maths is considered necessary for computer science.
I wouldn't recommend that you drop it. Most good unis require Maths for a Computer Science degree. If you're stuck I could help you, just message me, I love Maths!
Reply 3
Original post by QPRboy

Business and IT aren't considered nearly as strong as maths, and thought geography is respected and facilitating, it's not going to help you huge amounts. If you're aiming for top 10/20 universities, keep maths and drop business or IT. If you struggle that much with it, are you sure computer science is right for you? It requires much of the same analytical thinking and logic that maths does, even if it's applied in different ways. It's very different from IT.

Look up the requirements of the particular university you're interested. I know Birmingham simply require people who haven't done maths to take a maths module in first year, and I think Surrey are the same. You might be able to get away with it, but you'll have a much stronger application if you carry on.
Reply 4
I don't know too much about computer science as I applied for medicine but if maths is important for it then I think it would be best to stick with it as it'll put you in better stead for when you go to uni.

At the very least get your AS in it and then as long as you don't require it to A2 for your uni choices you could drop it then to make getting your A's in your other 3 subjects.
Having said that, after C1, the modules get progressively harder but I see no reason why you can't improve your scores with enough practice. My method for doing A-Level maths was to go through the chapters in the book and learn of what you need to and become familiar with the methods of answering each question type. A-Level maths (at least for my exam board - Edexcel) is very repetitive in that you get the same question types on every paper so if you can master the method for the questions then you can get higher marks.

If you have any problems ask your teacher to explain or even post up the question on here. TSR is filled with people like myself who have done A-Level maths and people who go on to do maths degrees etc so there will always be someone happy to help out if you're struggling.

Another thing, make sure you do all your homeworks. I may be alone in thinking this but I think doing homework is a VERY effective method of revision because to answer certain questions you have to look up the various bits and pieces you can't remember from class a few days ago (revision) and put that into use in answering the questions (practice).
I used to be quite lazy and never did my work but when I went into A2 I completely changed my attitude and did all my work and I really found that it helped my understanding and learning when doing the homeworks and it enabled me to revisit everything covered in class and become comfortable using it in questions. (This applies to all my subjects not just maths)
However, most important of all, past paper practice is vital. When you've done several past papers you'll know how they like to structure the questions and you'll have the methods to answer them pretty well drilled into your head.

So overall, I say stick at it for a while longer. If it's just not coming together for you then I agree there's no point jeapirdising your other subjects and you should drop it but give it another go and try to get everything to make sense in your head and hopefully you will see improvements. Don't forget, use your teacher, TSR, Textbook/Revision guides etc for help. That's what they're there for. Also, don't worry about your classmates and whether or not they seem to catch on quicker, you just need to focus on yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Even if you're the one who always asks the teacher to clarify something, you'll be one of the one's who gets it right on the exam. (Such a cliché thing to say but IT IS TRUE)

Hope I helped.
Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks everyone, great advice. I'll see how I do in C2, S1 and the C1 retake. If I get at least C's in all of them then I'll strongly consider continuing it in A2, and drop ICT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending