Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi I want to study film at uni and I got a b init. But would uni let me on to the course has my other grades are not to good

ReputationRep:
    probably not a "good" course that would be worthwhile doing

I know I will probably get negged for this, but I believe an honest answer is only appropriate

However, can I please add that nothing in life is impossible, if you did alevels again and worked you butt off you could be sitting in oxbridge this time 4 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madfish)
    probably not a "good" course that would be worthwhile doing

I know I will probably get negged for this, but I believe an honest answer is only appropriate

However, can I please add that nothing in life is impossible, if you did alevels again and worked you butt off you could be sitting in oxbridge this time 4 years
    lol what are the chances of that.

Let's be honest, a BDD will never turn into A*AA. Most resitters don't even improve because people don't change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heizenburg)

Let's be honest, a BDD will never turn into A*AA. Most resitters don't even improve because people don't change.
    If he really wanted to, he could

but yea, the chances are that he actually would pursue with it and get A*AA Is very unlikely

ReputationRep:

I went from BBDD to A*AAA then got offers at top 10 universities. OP, anything is possible if you want it enough and are willing to work for it.

ReputationRep:

People don't change? I got CCDU in my first year of college.

Now I have an A2 in economics at grade A, and by the end of this year I'll have an EXTRA 3 A levels at A*AA minimum.

Oh, and got all 5 offers from York, Loughborough, Sheffield, and Birmingham. 3/4 Russell Groups. For economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timikji)
    I went from BBDD to A*AAA then got offers at top 10 universities. OP, anything is possible if you want it enough and are willing to work for it.
    (Original post by Turty)

Now I have an A2 in economics at grade A, and by the end of this year I'll have an EXTRA 3 A levels at A*AA minimum.

Oh, and got all 5 offers from York, Loughborough, Sheffield, and Birmingham. 3/4 Russell Groups. For economics.
    Cool story you two. Now let's look at the other 90% of people who resit.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but all the resitters i've seen are doing just as bad second time round.

ReputationRep:

Utter rubbish. Sorry if that sounds abrupt but it needed to be said. People choose the wrong subjects for them all the time/get health problems/don't put the effort in then realise the error of their ways, just because you didn't do as well as you hoped the first time round doesn't mean you can't alter your path and get much better grades later on.

OP your best bet is to focus on universities that require UCAS points as opposed to grades. Currently you have 220 UCAS points, but you could apply to unis asking slightly higher and have a chance of getting an offer if your personal statement and reference are decent.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what kind of uni you want to go to, if you are happy going to any old uni that will take you, then you will probably find one doing your course somewhere.

But if you really want to aim higher and achieve the best possible grades you should look into re sitting your a-levels, i know it doesn't sound appealing but it could be the best decision you ever made, i got CEUUU in my first year of sixth form and was nearly kicked out of college because i needed 3 E's to progress, so i literally begged my head of college to give me another chance because i knew i had the ability to do better. Three years down the line I have grades AAB in the same subjects I failed in my first year, and i have unconditional offers from, Loughborough, UCL and Cardiff.

so it's all down to you really, if you do choose to re sit your A-levels you have to be very motivated because it means you are being given a second chance at getting good grades, so you have to make the most of it buddy, because there is no point doing it all over again with the same attitude, because that would be a waste of your time and money.

Think about how bad you want to go to a DECENT uni before making a decision.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Cool story you two. Now let's look at the other 90% of people who resit.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but all the resitters i've seen are doing just as bad second time round.
    Well obviously not everyone does it. But those people are idiots, who listen to people like you saying 'it's not possible' or whatever. Everyone said to me that there was no point resitting and doing different ASs, but I knew I could prove them wrong.

Maybe the OP just doesn't know that it IS possible, and needs someone to tell them that it is. Me and the other guy who had a similar story were showing them this, instead of judging their abilities and telling them they can't do what they want to do.

Yeah the OP may be in the other 90%, but you don't know this, and I don't know this. Had I come on tsr two years ago in this situation, you would have said the same to me. And I'd be coming back here to you now going'Told you so'. So I hope the OP does come back at the end of next year with As, just to prove you wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turty)

So in essence you have nowhere better than AAA? York is ranked 15th for Economics, so you haven't even got a top 10 place...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JOR2010)
    So in essence you have nowhere better than AAA? York is ranked 15th for Economics, so you haven't even got a top 10 place...
    Well no because I did 3 years at college (with different ASs in the first year), and all my teachers told me that that would go against me. They said I was even being too optimistic with my choices!

Plus L'boro is my firm regardless. Employers might like the look of a better uni on my cv in the future, but when they see I have A*AAA and a top honours degree, I'm sure this will not be a problem. I originally had Durham down as well, but I couldn't stand the look of the business campus, so whilst uni prestige may be everything for you, I'd rather spend 4 years where I'll be happy than have a 'better looking degree' and be miserable.

Besides, I've only just changed my course to economics. Originally it was Accounting and Financial Management, and this picture illustrates why I chose L'boro (it's in order of graduate prospects).
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

OH, and another thing. Had I decided to go to York, and it being sooooo low on the league tables as you pointed out, this shows that league tables aren't everything.

27 for economics.

6 for graduate prospects. Hmmm, yeah the employers must really care about league tables.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    One more point.

Let's take Manchester, for example.

Is it top 10 for economics? No. Top 20? Nope. Not even 30.

It's 40.

So you'd think by your logic that this means the rankings say Manchester isn't the best uni you could go to. Yet what is it in the world, I hear you ask?

49. 49 in the world! This is higher than:

Warwick (9th for economics, 124 in the world).
    Kent (6th for economics, yet not even in the top 400 list!).
    Dundee (7th for economics, 201-225 section in the world).
    Surrey (joint 7th for economics, 351-400 in the world).
    Herriot-Watt (10th for economics, but also not in the top 400 in the world).

Very reliable. I wish I had listened to you and gone to a top 10...

Oh wait, York's 103 in the world! Above all that list.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

You're clueless.

ReputationRep:
    OP by the sounds of it you would qualify for the unis special courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turty)
    One more point.

Let's take Manchester, for example.

Is it top 10 for economics? No. Top 20? Nope. Not even 30.

It's 40.

So you'd think by your logic that this means the rankings say Manchester isn't the best uni you could go to. Yet what is it in the world, I hear you ask?

49. 49 in the world! This is higher than:

Warwick (9th for economics, 124 in the world).
    Kent (6th for economics, yet not even in the top 400 list!).
    Dundee (7th for economics, 201-225 section in the world).
    Surrey (joint 7th for economics, 351-400 in the world).
    Herriot-Watt (10th for economics, but also not in the top 400 in the world).

Very reliable. I wish I had listened to you and gone to a top 10...

Oh wait, York's 103 in the world! Above all that list.
    I don't know what hilarious rankings you are using for Economics, but Kent, Dundee and Surrey are not top 10 institutions for economics? So your plan is to go to a university that is poorly ranked for your subject, but better ranked on an international scale? Sounds like you don't care about your subject, just the uni!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what hilarious rankings you are using for Economics, but Kent, Dundee and Surrey are not top 10 institutions for economics? So your plan is to go to a university that is poorly ranked for your subject, but better ranked on an international scale? Sounds like you don't care about your subject, just the uni!
    This is what I was using. http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...uide-economics

And so you have just proved my point - university rankings don't mean anything. Dundee, Kent etc were top ten here, yet you're disagreeing (from knowledge of other rankings). Therefore making your original point of my uni not being high enough on the league tables moot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turty)
    This is what I was using. http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...uide-economics

And so you have just proved my point - university rankings don't mean anything. Dundee, Kent etc were top ten here, yet you're disagreeing (from knowledge of other rankings). Therefore making your original point of my uni not being high enough on the league tables moot.
    This guide is hilarious. Cambridge 5th? UCL 10th? I suppose it's because I'm focused on the reputation of the course at the university, and the graduate expectations, that's all. But this guide is seriously ridiculous, show it to anyone on the Economics thread and they'll laugh.

ReputationRep:
    This guide is hilarious. Cambridge 5th? UCL 10th? I suppose it's because I'm focused on the reputation of the course at the university, and the graduate expectations, that's all. But this guide is seriously ridiculous, show it to anyone on the Economics thread and they'll laugh.
    Finally we agree on something haha! My original point was about Russell Group unis, and you were the one chatting about league tables. :rolleyes:

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.