Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Big v. small government Watch

• View Poll Results: Big v. small government
    Big
    14.29%
    Small
    85.71%

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, what is more beneficial for social relations and the economy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    The bigger the government the :

more waste (G4S scandal)
    more corruption and misuse of public funds (i.e expenses scandal)
    Higher taxes
    lower sustainable growth
    Higher national debt
    less free the citizens in the country (think nazi Germany or USSR)
    Less free the press

Remember absolute power corrupts

ReputationRep:
    Complete no brainer....

ReputationRep:
    Westminster is packed at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, I would say that big government would be beneficial for social relations (such as spending on education, health, welfare etc.) whereas small government would be beneficial for the economy (such as lower taxes, less regulation etc.).

So if we're looking for a government which is beneficial for social relations and the economy, a medium sized government would probably be the best. In my opinion of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    In my opinion, I would say that big government would be beneficial for social relations (such as spending on education, health, welfare etc.) whereas small government would be beneficial for the economy (such as lower taxes, less regulation etc.).

So if we're looking for a government which is beneficial for social relations and the economy, a medium sized government would probably be the best. In my opinion of course.
    Big government failed Nazi Germany and the USSR in every way loool

ReputationRep:
    Big/small is subjective

Also can we stop using "government" as a synonym for "public sector"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Westminster is packed at the moment.
    Can't get shifted at the moment. Just got to look at primeministers questions... Like a cattle market.

ReputationRep:
    Why are we using Nazi Germany and USSR as examples of failed 'large governments' - how long ago was that? The world is a different place now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    Big/small is subjective

Also can we stop using "government" as a synonym for "public sector"
    no....

ReputationRep:
    The government should be the size needed to adequately fulfill the functions required of it at an expense proportional to the benefits. Where this is is a matter of debate and whilst I have my own opinions about it I don't understand why people select a rate whilst having insufficient knowledge to justify their conviction...

ReputationRep:
    I hate all government, the smaller the better. They have too much power and just wish to control our lives, a smaller government therefore, generally speaking, would have less control.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.