Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have a bit of a dilemma!

I work full-time and a couple of months ago I saw my boss kissing a colleague, my colleague spoke to me about what happened (it happened whilst she was at work so it wasn't a drunk office party scenario) and said it was a stupid mistake and it wouldn't happen again etc, she sounded really genuine and she's a nice person so I kept my mouth shut. A couple of weeks ago I was informed by my boss that a senior person was leaving and I was being considered for a promotion to her job, I was really happy, I've worked here for a while and have quite a lot of experience so I thought I would have a good chance, but I found out that the girl he kissed has got the job, she's only worked here for 9 months and this is her first ever job, a lot of my other colleagues have said they're surprised.

So, I can't help but think that there's something fishy going on, should I say something? I really wanted this job but I'm worried that it'll look like I'm bitter or making it up out of spite, the only proof I have is an email she sent me thanking me for not saying anything about what happened (but not actually saying what happened).

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely say something. Most larger companies have policies about these sorts of things - managers are usually prohibited from managing anyone they are in a romantic or familial relationship with. That usually extends to anyone they view as a "favourite". Managers are meant to be impartial. You can bring it up with your manager's line manager or higher if you're scared about the anonymity situation.

ReputationRep:
    If you're working for a large enough company, there should be a whistle-blowing procedure, make sure you use it. This sort of behaviour is unacceptable and the manager in question could face disciplinary hearings from the board.

ReputationRep:
    just for the record getting off once is unlikely to have factored into it much..

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely say something. It does sound like something fishy is up, and that you have been denied an opportunity because this girl kissed him.

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to your manager? I would recommend that you have a meeting with him just to hear his point of view on why you didn't get the promotion. Anyone in your situation would be annoyed at being passed over so I'm sure he'd be more than happy to explain. If after this meeting you don't think his reasoning was adequate, then take it higher. (Don't talk about the kiss in the meeting, just say you wanted feedback or something)

Everyone has so far told you to straight away go higher, but this could have a detrimental effect on both your colleagues and just turn out to be a situation where your boss just genuinely decided you weren't suitable to the position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, thanks for all your help.

I'm going to speak with my boss tomorrow about this, the main reason why I'm surprised I didn't get the promotion is because I would sometimes 'cover' for the senior person when she was away or off sick, and she'd always joke about how I was basically doing her job for less pay, my last performance review also said that I was clearly capable of taking on more responsibility, I nearly always meet my targets etc. The girl who was promoted joined when she was 19 with no previous experience and has been here less than a year whereas I've been here for nearly 4, but I'm going to try and keep a balanced view.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.