Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Anyone volunteer at a home/rescue/shelter? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's something I'm considering as I grow more and more interested in animal rights, and was wondering if anyone had any experience of volunteering with animals?

Is it a problem that I have virtually no experience with animals? The ones near me seem to be mostly dog's homes. I wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable or scared around dogs, I just haven't had any real exposure to them. I'm fine with smaller dogs, bigger dogs I would have to grow accustomed to. This is something I thought about doing in the gap between college and (hopefully) university. I've volunteered in a charity shop if any of the skills are transferable? (just kidding )

Like I said, I've been reading a lot on animal welfare. I don't want to be the guy that sits at home writing letters to his MP which probably go largely ignored. Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    It's something I'm considering as I grow more and more interested in animal rights, and was wondering if anyone had any experience of volunteering with animals?

Is it a problem that I have virtually no experience with animals? The ones near me seem to be mostly dog's homes. I wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable or scared around dogs, I just haven't had any real exposure to them. I'm fine with smaller dogs, bigger dogs I would have to grow accustomed to. This is something I thought about doing in the gap between college and (hopefully) university. I've volunteered in a charity shop if any of the skills are transferable? (just kidding )

Like I said, I've been reading a lot on animal welfare. I don't want to be the guy that sits at home writing letters to his MP which probably go largely ignored. Any insight would be helpful, thanks!
    Whilst I don't work in any of the above mentioned places, I have grown up around animals.

It's perfectly normal to be a bit apprehensive about certain animals, but it's a good idea get a little more accustomed to these big dogs. You can't really afford to show any bias to the animals you need to care for.

Most of the animals coming through the voluntary places are likely to have had crappy upbringings and could come with some aggressive behavioural issues. As long as you don't write them off due to their issues, you should be all right.

If jobs with animals weren't so horribly paid (barring things like Vets and Zoo study etc), I certainly would be working with them right now.

It's always good to show respect to animals and fight for their rights, just don't go off the end of the scale and become an aggressive do gooder. Animals need support they don't need another petrol bombing thug.

ReputationRep:
    As I wanted to be a vet, I did work experience in an animal shelter when I was 14-16 years old.

Depending on what they're like with rules, you might not be allowed in the cages with bigger dogs. I wasn't allowed to walk the dogs until I was 16.

There's a limit to what you can do; actual contact with animals is limited and you will spend most of the time cleaning out gross cages, but don't let this put you off as it's still a good learning experience as it gives you the opportunity to ask tons of questions about animal welfare etc.

They might let you do some admin work once you've been there longer and do stuff like greeting people who bring in strays and showing people around.

Anyway, good luck! At times it was tiring and some days I just hated it, but ultimately it was a rewarding experience and I really enjoyed it. It will definitely look good on your CV

If you can't find an animal shelter btw, then try out farms. Trust me, farmers won't give a darn if you don't have any experience as long as you don't mind getting stuck in and work hard. I've worked at various farms, but my favourite was definitely dairy farming. It's great fun and I had some interesting chats about the welfare of farm animals. If you have one of these near you also try a therapy type farm; I went to a mixed animal one where I helped disabled people do their jobs, which was great fun

ReputationRep:
    A caution about farms.

They may consider you for Pig Husbandry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    It's perfectly normal to be a bit apprehensive about certain animals, but it's a good idea get a little more accustomed to these big dogs. You can't really afford to show any bias to the animals you need to care for
    Totally agree, I can't just ask to sit around with puppies all day long. This is why I'm wondering whether a lack of any experience would hold me back, most of their volunteers are most likely people that have raised dogs all their life, then I come in and don't know anything.

It's always good to show respect to animals and fight for their rights, just don't go off the end of the scale and become an aggressive do gooder. Animals need support they don't need another petrol bombing thug.
    Don't worry, I wasn't planning any attacks with the PETA crowd. I just feel disillusioned with many ways of protesting - writing letters, getting petitions etc. I think it's great that people do it, don't get me wrong.

Can you clarify what you mean by pig husbandry'? I'm trying to figure it out now but don't fully understand it.

Cheers for the information mate, I'll keep thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    Can you clarify what you mean by pig husbandry'? I'm trying to figure it out now but don't fully understand it.
    I was being a little broad, but I meant more to do with the 'assisting' of pigs and their 'tools'.

I wouldn't think this is something they would get you doing as volunteer however.

Pig Husbandry in general is the daily care of pigs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    I was being a little broad, but I meant more to do with the 'assisting' of pigs and their 'tools'.

I wouldn't think this is something they would get you doing as volunteer however.

Pig Husbandry in general is the daily care of pigs
    Did you caution me about it because it's not a particularly nice job?

(Original post by battycatlady)
    If you can't find an animal shelter btw, then try out farms. Trust me, farmers won't give a darn if you don't have any experience as long as you don't mind getting stuck in and work hard. I've worked at various farms, but my favourite was definitely dairy farming. It's great fun and I had some interesting chats about the welfare of farm animals. If you have one of these near you also try a therapy type farm; I went to a mixed animal one where I helped disabled people do their jobs, which was great fun
    Thanks, I'll look into it. Maybe I'd be more help at a farm than caring for dogs, which I have zero experience or knowledge on. Is it best to simply try and find one and ask somebody there? I haven't found any websites like you do for shelters.

ReputationRep:
    Did you caution me about it because it's not a particularly nice job?

Thanks, I'll look into it. Maybe I'd be more help at a farm than caring for dogs, which I have zero experience or knowledge on. Is it best to simply try and find one and ask somebody there? I haven't found any websites like you do for shelters.
    Yeah farms don't really have websites. Just ring up or turn up; turning up is probably your best bet as it shows more interest

Try out lambing. It's honestly an amazing experience and it's veeeery hands-on! You'll learn a lot!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.