Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I applied for a course at Heriot-Watt for September 2013 entry, and now have an offer.

I have a few general questions about the university and it's surroundings.

• What is nightlife like?

• Is it easy to get back and forth to the city of Edinburgh? (And do people go to Edinburgh itself for nightlife?)

• Does public transport from the university run 24/7?
    • (Or alternatively, is it possible to use a bike to go from the uni into Edinburgh?)

• Is there really a huge amount of guys compared to girls?

Basic stuff, but I do want a good university experience and so want to know as much as I can before I firm it.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Nightlife in Edinburgh is pretty good, although not the cheapest place in the world, although most student nights do like £1.50 drinks and there's a student night most days of the week! Most people travel out from campus into the city centre for a night out, theres regular buses (the 25 and 34) to get you in (£1.40 for a single) and there is also an N25 and N34 to get you back to campus at night for £3. Night bus usually only takes about 20 minutes, daytime buses vary depending on the time of day though. If you wanted to cycle into the city, there is a cycle route that runs straight from campus to the city centre, so that is an option, but buses are 24/7. The ratio of guys to girls does have more guys but you really wouldn't notice it at all, there seems to be just as many girls walking about as guys and the ratio is getting closer to 50/50. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you (I'm just about to finish my 3rd year at Heriot-Watt!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gnomers92)
    Nightlife in Edinburgh is pretty good, although not the cheapest place in the world, although most student nights do like £1.50 drinks and there's a student night most days of the week! Most people travel out from campus into the city centre for a night out, theres regular buses (the 25 and 34) to get you in (£1.40 for a single) and there is also an N25 and N34 to get you back to campus at night for £3. Night bus usually only takes about 20 minutes, daytime buses vary depending on the time of day though. If you wanted to cycle into the city, there is a cycle route that runs straight from campus to the city centre, so that is an option, but buses are 24/7. The ratio of guys to girls does have more guys but you really wouldn't notice it at all, there seems to be just as many girls walking about as guys and the ratio is getting closer to 50/50. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you (I'm just about to finish my 3rd year at Heriot-Watt!)

Thanks a lot for the answers!

Are you enjoying your time at HW?

For nightlife, do people mainly go to bars/pubs, or are there clubs as well?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, its been amazing, genuinely met friends for life, and been able to do so many things I would never have done before coming here!

Usually people will pre-drink at a flat/halls then sometimes go to a few bars/pub crawl but most of the time you'll end up in a club. Theres loads of them, and some of them do free entry on certain days of the week and most of them you can get guest list for cheaper entry if its not free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gnomers92)
    yeah, its been amazing, genuinely met friends for life, and been able to do so many things I would never have done before coming here!

Usually people will pre-drink at a flat/halls then sometimes go to a few bars/pub crawl but most of the time you'll end up in a club. Theres loads of them, and some of them do free entry on certain days of the week and most of them you can get guest list for cheaper entry if its not free
    Is the student union good?

Are there usually many part-time jobs available for freshmen, either on campus, or in the city?

Thanks again for the help!

ReputationRep:
    it's good to go get food or grab a drink with your mates but for a night your more likely to head into the city.

Most of the jobs on campus become available towards the end of the second semester, when the final year students are beginning to leave. Theres usually plenty of jobs going in the city centre though

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.