Indefinite Leave to Remain & Fee Status (some answers)

Watch
Jussterr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This thread is for reference. I have recently had a few prospective international students from China ask me whether fee status can be altered during course of study if they gain ILR. The simple answer is 'no'.

Please read this link from the mouth of the people who have the answers.

In other words, if you are given a place on a university course as an international student but obtain your ILR (green card/permanent residence permit) during the course of your studies, you will STILL be subject to the international tuition fees. The only way that you can get your tuition status altered is if you can prove that you have actually held ILR at the time of acceptance (that is, before you begin your first academic year.) This usually doesn't happen because you ordinarily must be 18 to hold ILR anyway.

Gaining ILR is NOT the same thing as becoming a citizen of the UK or EU. It simply means you are a foreign national who has settled permanently in the UK. 12 months after gaining ILR, you are allowed to apply for naturalisation. You will only become a citizen of the UK/EU if you are naturalised. This means you have been granted a British passport. (Congratulations you.) If you met the 3 year residence requirement BEFORE the first day of your first academic year and subsequently become a UK citizen during your studies, then you can be considered to be a home student. If you're fast enough that means you get your 3rd (and 4th) years on 'home fee status' because of the 12 month gap between ILR and naturalisation.

If you gain ILR you can of course contact your university's registry and see if they will show you the courtesy of altering your fee status but they are by no means obligated to do so.

If you know you will not gain ILR until sometime during your first year of study (usually the case as you must be 18) my advice is to apply for deferred entry as a home student or take a gap year before applying.

Hopefully no one takes offence to my starting an entire thread about this issue. I really hope some people caught in this predicament can find some answers here.
kkdawa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Jussterr)
This thread is for reference. I have recently had a few prospective international students from China ask me whether fee status can be altered during course of study if they gain ILR. The simple answer is 'no'.

Please read this link from the mouth of the people who have the answers.

In other words, if you are given a place on a university course as an international student but obtain your ILR (green card/permanent residence permit) during the course of your studies, you will STILL be subject to the international tuition fees. The only way that you can get your tuition status altered is if you can prove that you have actually held ILR at the time of acceptance (that is, before you begin your first academic year.) This usually doesn't happen because you ordinarily must be 18 to hold ILR anyway.

Gaining ILR is NOT the same thing as becoming a citizen of the UK or EU. It simply means you are a foreign national who has settled permanently in the UK. 12 months after gaining ILR, you are allowed to apply for naturalisation. You will only become a citizen of the UK/EU if you are naturalised. This means you have been granted a British passport. (Congratulations you.) If you met the 3 year residence requirement BEFORE the first day of your first academic year and subsequently become a UK citizen during your studies, then you can be considered to be a home student. If you're fast enough that means you get your 3rd (and 4th) years on 'home fee status' because of the 12 month gap between ILR and naturalisation.

If you gain ILR you can of course contact your university's registry and see if they will show you the courtesy of altering your fee status but they are by no means obligated to do so.

If you know you will not gain ILR until sometime during your first year of study (usually the case as you must be 18) my advice is to apply for deferred entry as a home student or take a gap year before applying.

Hopefully no one takes offence to my starting an entire thread about this issue. I really hope some people caught in this predicament can find some answers here.
Hi thanks for taking the time to explain this. Mine is a little be tricky. I have been working in the U.K. for 4 years now as a tier 2 ( work permit) visa holder. I will be qualified for ILR by June next year and certain to have it latest by July. I am hoping to get admitted into graduate entry medicine same year August/September. My question is, would I be qualified as home student? Is there a better way I can explain this while completing my UK application or to the university? Would this alone affect my chance with the universities?
Weraasings
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I have kind of a similar situation but I’m not sure what to do. I have lived in the uk for 13 years and in 2019 after completing my GCSEs I returned back to Poland, my home country, I’ve lived here for over a year already and in 2022 I plan on going back to the uk to study in uni. Is there anyway that I would pay home fees and be eligible for the uk student loan? I have indefinite leave to remain in the uk and I’m planning on applying for British citizenship will that help?
Seema Mazhar
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I could see that this is from 7 years ago. Is it still the same?
Tani87
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Seema Mazhar)
I could see that this is from 7 years ago. Is it still the same?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Theres been a lot of changes to the Immigration system
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (201)
43.79%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.35%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.24%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.88%

Watched Threads