Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong to place money on whether someone will die either a famous person or a friend? and if you won money doing so would you feel guilty?

Personally I think it is and I'd feel guilty taking the money.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly wouldn't want anyone to bet on my death, so doing it to someone else is out of the question for me. I would feel extremely guilty making the bet in the first place, let alone taking the money.

ReputationRep:
    What reason would you have for feeling guilty? By betting, you're not influencing when they'll die, you're just becoming the benefactor.

I'm sure they would have wanted you to win the money. *Nodnodnod*

ReputationRep:
    I could see alot of people doing it though. Stuff like us presidents, Maggy Thatcher ext.

I'd be very surprised for it to be common that people bet on their friends death... thats pretty awful.

Edit**

I don't think i'd care if someone bet I was going to die.

ReputationRep:
    the principle of gaining from someones loss is immoral. Therefore, I would not gamble on someones life! so disrespectful.

ReputationRep:
    I think anyone who would consider it is lacking even an elementary grasp of morality. Personally I wouldn't do it and I would feel terrible if I thought I stood to gain anything from someone else's misfortune, especially their death.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I guess this makes me the odd one out!

You're not gaining from the dead guy's loss, they were going to die anyway. The only loser is the person you're betting against. However, I understand the main principle of morality here: it's a bet and gambling is, according to our culture, a sin. Should you gain from a will, I bet (pun not intended) that you wouldn't feel bad about anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    Anything that could encourage unscrupulous people to attempt to hasten the death of someone, or a group of people, in the hope of winning a bet (as this could to someone with the opportunity) should be illegal, never mind just immoral.

Of course life insurance policies can have the same effect but the difference is that it would far more easy to trace a course to family members and other benefactors and put 2 and 2 together if something appears suspicious about the death.

To not only wish for a bad health outcome for someone but to be made monetarily better off as a result is indecency - a kind of blood money- really.

And I'm afraid that what you wish for others can often be visited upon yourself. Not usually in the same way but I believe that a kind of karma does exist, even if it mostly psychologically visited by someone on themselves because we cannot easily erase memories, cannot easily erase guilt. It would be increasingly difficult for someone who had made such a bet, even as some kind of morbid curiousity that they regard as relatively innocent , to properly identify with the struggles of others or wish to remedy them unless there was some incentive to them to do so. They'd become more like a calculating machine and, even if they live a relatively long life themselves, it would be a more dehumanised, less truly pleasurable or sensuous, life that they lived.

If only for their own selfish reasons, I wouldn't encourage anyone to spend even a second seriously thinking about doing it at all if they want to remain, or have any future hope of being, identifiably a member of the human race, a gift that, though they might not have accessed it at the moment, could be worth all the money in the world in future when they cannot erase guilt or the sense that they are terrible voyeurs in this world, not loved, hoping people, however ordinary they may feel, from their mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    Is it wrong to place money
    Yup
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    No, not ethically wrong, though perhaps it is crass to attempt to profit over such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-flutter.html

This is apparently a real life problem in Taiwan. I'm pretty sure doctors betting on patients death counts as a vested interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phantasmagorical)
    What reason would you have for feeling guilty? By betting, you're not influencing when they'll die, you're just becoming the benefactor.

I'm sure they would have wanted you to win the money. *Nodnodnod*

My thoughts exactly, However if you influence their death then that's where it becomes a fix, and i hate unfair odds.

ReputationRep:
    At my work the head chef and the handyman have a bet on who will die first. head chef is 15-20years older, but the handyman is a chronic smoker and heavy drinker as well as having a poor diet. £10 to the winner (although whether they'll claim the money is a different question but hands were shook on the bet)

It's all done in jest and it provides good banter around the work place though.

ReputationRep:
    If I didn't know them then I would have no qualms about it, the person in question would die either way and you would be making money from guessing a date in time where an action that doesn't affect you happens. However if it was someone I knew I would see it as bad taste.

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard of someone betting on someone else's death and personally I would think it disgusting.

How could you sit there and place money on the time of someone's death whether you know them personally or not? If I did that I don't think I would be able to sleep at night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know which bookie has the best odds for Mandela making it to 2015?

ReputationRep:
    Betting companies (William Hill, at least) have a policy that they won't take "morbid" bets. If even William Hill considers it to be immoral, that's really saying something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    Yup
    Not really.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.