Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Rude Cashiers. WTF Are Wrong With Them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    As someone who works as a cashier, I know what it's like to deal with grumpy customers and they can grate on you. However every customer is new and you should always put on a happy act, it makes the whole experience nicer for you and the customer (short hand answer: cashier was in wrong)
    Thank you.

I'm a cashier myself at an off license and I treat all customers with manners.

My boss tells me off if I don't. I think thats why our business is successful to some extent.

We treat customers with respect even if they are rude to some extent.

However, I'm shocked to see that in today's society that people lack manners, especially some cashiers in this sense.

I think its not fair that someone like her should work there. A good friend of mine who is a cashier at a petrol station with TEN YEARS OF EXPERIENCE got rejected by Sainsburys and I am dead serious. The reason? Apparently, his qualifications weren't good as hes from a different country. Thing is, I used to work with this guy at the petrol station and most of the customers love him. They would often go to him and I learnt manners from him.

I am just as pissed of as him when he got rejected, especially when I was treated like this today. I couldn't do much other than report her, but I feel its people like her who ruin retail. It makes me think why people can shoplift or do bad things. For example, two weeks back, some youths were in a similar situation as me and nicked a few extra chocolate bars. They bought a lot and were given the same treatment as me so they slyly lied to the cashier and told her that they took 15 bars when in fact they took 25! How do I know? When I was going back to my car they happened to see me and told me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clubber)
    Thank you.

I'm a cashier myself at an off license and I treat all customers with manners.

My boss tells me off if I don't. I think thats why our business is successful to some extent.

We treat customers with respect even if they are rude to some extent.

However, I'm shocked to see that in today's society that people lack manners, especially some cashiers in this sense.

I think its not fair that someone like her should work there. A good friend of mine who is a cashier at a petrol station with TEN YEARS OF EXPERIENCE got rejected by Sainsburys and I am dead serious. The reason? Apparently, his qualifications weren't good as hes from a different country. Thing is, I used to work with this guy at the petrol station and most of the customers love him. They would often go to him and I learnt manners from him.

I am just as pissed of as him when he got rejected, especially when I was treated like this today. I couldn't do much other than report her, but I feel its people like her who ruin retail. It makes me think why people can shoplift or do bad things. For example, two weeks back, some youths were in a similar situation as me and nicked a few extra chocolate bars. They bought a lot and were given the same treatment as me so they slyly lied to the cashier and told her that they took 15 bars when in fact they took 25! How do I know? When I was going back to my car they happened to see me and told me.
    It's true, part of our job is to make the customers experience as pleasurable as possible, I don't see why some people can't even do that - and like you said People such as your friend who actually do have basic manners miss out on these jobs occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    I don't know about that, obviously from what OP has told us it just seems like she was pissed off for whatever reason, which is obviously unprofessional - but I guess we have only heard half the story!
    Its ok to get rude to customers when working in retail and make use of double standards. Treat one customer different to another customer?

Personally, her attitude stinks and she must have fluked it to get the job. Judging by her attitude and character I would say shes in her late 20's and clearly is uneducated. Its very childish of her to try and have an argument with me.

I'm a reasonable bloke and when I'm in the wrong I admit it. I was eventually going to tell her that I knew the person or maybe just told her that we are doing separate shopping, but when she decided to run her mouth, I destroyed her.

People who have had arguments in the past, have often lost something. For example, I know someone who lost about £1K because they tried to deceive me by installing some dodgy 'Sony' CCTV cameras in my house. They lost the argument so bad, that they never ever came back to my house to collect my money I owed them or to fix the cameras.

ReputationRep:
    Why does the matter? Why do you care? The coke were on offer BOGOF. Wouldn't you buy some if they were BOGOF?

I bought Coke for my party. She bought Coke for home use.
    You sound like a 9 year old :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    You sound like a 9 year old :sigh:
    Ok troll. If you say so

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I went to Sainsburys today to do some shopping. Bought a lot of Coke since they were on offer and also the fact that I had a party planned for the weekend. I went with my aunt and she too bought some coke.

We abviously went to the same cashier but she was in front of me and I was behind. The cashier served my aunt quite well and then she said to my aunt that she only bought 6 coke. Basically the cashier thought my trolley was my aunts as well (yes the cashiers retarded, I put the divider thing to indicate that my shopping was separate.)

I told the cashier that I never knew the person in front and that I came to do my own shopping. She then had the cheek to ask why my aunt was waiting. I said that I didn't know. Thats not it. This cashier even asked her colleagues if she was allowed to sell 6 bottles of coke even though she served my aunt without fault. After I paid she didn't say thank you or anything like that. I told her she lacked manners.

Who's at fault? I think the cashier. I clearly put a divider on the bay thingy to indicate that my shopping was separate. I also had my own trolley and so on. In addition to this, why should she care if I knew the person in front or not. I told her that I never knew the person in front, in case she did something stupid. I work in retail and always say please and thank you to any customers whether they are aggresive or not. It doesn't matter. A customer is still a customer, and I am very shocked to see that people like her are working there.

Funny thing is, a lot of my family members work there and she obviously doesn't know. I don't blame the Sainsburys branch, I blame the cashier. So rude.

What do you think? Was I at fault or was the cashier?
    Third world problems :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)
    Third world problems :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the cashier was at fault.

I'm not sure what you meant by the cashier telling your aunt she "only bought 6 coke" but based on what happened afterwards it sounds like the cashier thought the other coke bottles were also your aunt's because she was stood there waiting rather than leaving as a normal customer would. She therefore checked with your aunt that the others weren't also her's.

Not noticing the divider doesn't make the cashier 'retarded'. I've never worked as a cashier but I'm sure not noticing one of those dividers is an easy mistake to make and at this point it seems she was only asking a simple question.

If she knew you were shopping together then you lying about it is going to raise suspicion. What reason do you have to lie? Most normal customers in such a situation would just say "we're paying seperately" rather than deny knowing the person they're shopping with.

Again I've never been a cashier but the first thing that comes to my mind is that there might be a limit on the amount of a product that can be sold because of a promotion. It is therefore perfectly reasonable to check this. She's already sold it to your aunt so can't really do anything about that but she can stop herself from making the same mistake twice if it turns out there was a limit she hadn't been told about. If the limit was 6 she could also stop you from purchasing more than 6 if they have a rule that they can't serve more than 6 to people together in seperate transactions. It could have even been a way of letting her colleagues know she had suspicions in general so an eye could be kept on you in case you were trying to do something.

I think rudeness can be very subjective and what you thought was rude might not have actually been her being rude towards you. I know from jobs I have worked in that staff have sometimes been accused of being rude when I've seen & heard the interaction and the staff member was not being rude, just telling them something they didn't want to hear (eg that they couldn't be served). Forgetting to say "thank you" to a customer when you're focusing on why they lied/what they're planning doesn't necessarily make a cashier a bad one, providing it's not intentional and they don't do it often.

I'm confused as to why you think she'd "do something stupid" if you admitted you were with your aunt though? What exactly did you think she was going to do?

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter that I lied. Come on, its business. Why would you care if I bought a lot of items? Wouldn't you like to earn some cash LOL.

Furthermore, is she the manager or owner of the business? No.

I could understand if she was.
    Why do you keep saying this? Even if she's just a mere cashier, there are still rules to how many of the same item you can sell, and she can get in trouble if she breaks these rules - so yes it does have an effect on her despite her not owning the whole of Sainsburys!
    Also, your post was quite unclear so I don't really understand what happened in regards to the barrier. But it must be quite easy to remove the barrier in the routine tedium of being a checkout worker.
    You were in the wrong. There's no need to tell her she has no manners when she was just checking if you were together to stick to the company's rules about item limits, and you then lied about it when it was clearly obvious, which would understandably cause annoyance.

ReputationRep:
    When did Sainsburys start selling coke? :confused: I'm not surprised the cashier had to ask a colleague whether she could sell it.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Why should she care? Is she the manager? Is the owner of the business?

Also, companies should give respect to customers. Personally, I work in retail. My family work in retail. My aunt used to work in sainsburys and now my cousins work there.

I have never had problems at Sainsburys until today. I may have lied, but why does that matter? Wouldn't you want to make some extra money?
    It is not up to the cashier to make extra money, her job is to act as required based on company policy which quite often states a maximum amount one party or person can buy of a certain product which is on offer to give everyone a chance to purchase that without people buying for resale. However policies like this are unclear which is why she questioned the scenario plus the fact that the situation would change if the maximum amount was based on 'per party' rather than 'per person'

Yh I know.

In this case, I wasn't buying alcohol. I was buying Coke and clearly theres no age restriction.

I go to that Sainsburys branch on a weekly basis and have never had a problem. This cashiers very rude and she has no right to know what my aunt was doing. She not the owner or manager of the business.

If I ever do become a branch manager the first thing I will teach staff is manners. The nation lacks manners and I feel that manners are very very important in business. You are spending some hard earned cash and as a result you should be treated with manners. Is it that hard to say 'Thank You' LOL
    You missed the point, it is not about age-restriction but about buying with or without other people in the party i.e. in the sale of alcohol, say your Aunt was buying it but you weren't of legal age, the cashier could have again questioned if you were with your aunt as in which case she might not have sold that alcohol to you.

I hope I cleared that up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Why does it matter whose Coke is whose? I mean, yeah, maybe the cashier was having a bad day but seriously why does she need to check if she can sell a certain amount of cola to a person? :lolwut: and why did she need to ask why your aunt was waiting?
    Because shop owners come into supermarkets and buy trolley full of one product to then later resell, this means other customers dont get the chance to buy the product on offer.

(Original post by Gnome :))
    Why did she ask if she was allowed to sell you that much coke?
    Because sometimes there are restrictions on the number of items you can buy if they are included in an offer.

Fair enough, she could have been more polite, but honestly, after up to 10 hours sitting on a checkout, dealing with complaints which are usually out of your control (I've been shouted at because someone got a parking fine before, in a car park which doesn't belong to the supermarket...) you do get tired and grumpy. Little things, such as customers lying, can really tick you off when you're in that frame of mind.
    This ^

Also OP dont moan, seriously most of your posts are just moaning when you dont know the full story behind something. Yes the cashier was a bit rude but your making it into some big deal, just understand sometimes and ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Coke was on offer. I have bought a lot of booze from the same branch before and never had problems. I even asked the manager if I was allowed to buy that much Coke today and he said yes, he didnt see a problem.

Only the dumb cashier did

BTW THANKS FOR NEGGING ME. HIDE BEHIND YOUR COMPUTER SCREENS AND NEG ME. HATERS GONNA HATE, PUSSYS SCARED TO SAY **** TO MY FACE.

WHY THE **** AM I GETTING NEGGED? **** KNOWS. THATS THE PROBLEM ON THIS FORUM. TROLLS LIKE YOU NEG FOR NO ****ING REASON. IF YOU GONNA NEG AT LEAST BE BRAVE ENOUGH TO SAY WHY.

SINCE WHEN WERE CASHIERS ALWAYS RIGHT? I GUESS THAT DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF HAVING A MANAGER. THE WAY THE POST IS BEING NEGGED SUGGESTS THAT ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO DON'T LIKE BEING BOSSED AND LIKE DOING YOUR OWN THINGS. TOUGH. IF THE MANAGER SAYS I CAN TAKE AS MANY AS I LIKE, I CAN. CASHIERS CAN'T DO **** ALL. MAYBE IF THEY STUDIED AND GREW A PAIR OF BRAINS JUST LIKE YOU NEGGERS THEY WOULD BE GETTING SOMEWHERE IN LIFE.
    Wooww...ok... I'm only speaking from the point of view of someone who has worked in that position (and I had a degree doing it) so presumably I have "brains". Very confused by this whole thing :s

ReputationRep:
    OP.

You made something as simple as grocery shopping, into a confusing and awkward scenario.

How could it be anyone else's fault apart from yours?

You - "Sorry, that's my coke not my aunts".

Cashier - "Ok fair enough".

Are you simple?

ReputationRep:
    It's times like this that prove: The customer is not always right.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I went to Sainsburys today to do some shopping. Bought a lot of Coke since they were on offer and also the fact that I had a party planned for the weekend. I went with my aunt and she too bought some coke.

We abviously went to the same cashier but she was in front of me and I was behind. The cashier served my aunt quite well and then she said to my aunt that she only bought 6 coke. Basically the cashier thought my trolley was my aunts as well (yes the cashiers retarded, I put the divider thing to indicate that my shopping was separate.)

I told the cashier that I never knew the person in front and that I came to do my own shopping. She then had the cheek to ask why my aunt was waiting. I said that I didn't know. Thats not it. This cashier even asked her colleagues if she was allowed to sell 6 bottles of coke even though she served my aunt without fault. After I paid she didn't say thank you or anything like that. I told her she lacked manners.

Who's at fault? I think the cashier. I clearly put a divider on the bay thingy to indicate that my shopping was separate. I also had my own trolley and so on. In addition to this, why should she care if I knew the person in front or not. I told her that I never knew the person in front, in case she did something stupid. I work in retail and always say please and thank you to any customers whether they are aggresive or not. It doesn't matter. A customer is still a customer, and I am very shocked to see that people like her are working there.

Funny thing is, a lot of my family members work there and she obviously doesn't know. I don't blame the Sainsburys branch, I blame the cashier. So rude.

It's what I would have asked...I would have seen you together, I would have seen your aunt waiting, and rather than saying "That's mine" you said "i don't know that person" - if that ain't a blatant lie I don't know. You see a person in a Manchester jersey but they say they're not a fan, most people would ask why you are wearing it.

So yea, you lied to her, you were probably rude about it, too, by the sounds of it. Definitely your fault.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm still confused by the bold bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    It's what I would have asked...I would have seen you together, I would have seen your aunt waiting, and rather than saying "That's mine" you said "i don't know that person" - if that ain't a blatant lie I don't know. You see a person in a Manchester jersey but they say they're not a fan, most people would ask why you are wearing it.

So yea, you lied to her, you were probably rude about it, too, by the sounds of it. Definitely your fault.
    Whatever.

Why should she care if I lied or not. What is she the police, boss or manager. No.

When it comes to business its all about the money. Nothing else. If you think that lying is bad in business and such a big deal, then you don't understand business or you will not be successful in business.

How do I know? I used to run my own business that I sold on to a family friend.

Money comes first. Its none of the *****es business whether I lied or not. Besides I have more money than her LOL, in another 10 years I might be a millionaire, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    "Why do you care"
    Because you posted a thread on it basically asking for our opinion

"Wouldn't you buy some if they were BOGOF?"
    Yes, but I wouldn't get someone to help me nor would I like about it.
    But I never got anyone to help me. Can't you read. Did I state anywhere that I got someone to help me?

Don't say **** without reading my posts properly.

In business, money comes first - no ****. For a business to be successful and stand on its feet it needs money, money are more money.

I may have lied, so what! Don't they want to make some money. It's not like all the Coca Cola will go out of stock. Even the manager admitted to me when I asked him if I could take a lot. He said he had too much in stock and that people would rather buy 'healthy' drinks instead of Coca Cola.

What pissed me off is that the cashier tried to act smart. Like as if she was the manager or something. Thats a big No No in business.

Its people like her who ruin retail. I don't want to hear lame excuses like 'oh she might have had a bad day'. Well she works in an environment where shes protected, as there are security guards. I'm not scared of them, I even argued with them once and told them to call the police, they weren't so bad ass after all. I work in an off license where its a one man job. Every thing is done by me. Stock replenishment, dealing with customers, guarding the store. Does a simple smile and some basic manners hurt? Manners has nothing to do with salary or mood, its a must in business. I think this person is going to have a hard time at work, especially when I go there next time and get served by her.

ReputationRep:
    Why were the Cola's on offer? Maybe expiry date coming up or something dodgy.

I did the business a huge favour by buying a large quantity of them. It wasn't like someone else was going to buy it as well, even the manager admitted to me that customers at that branch usually don't buy a lot.

The manager approved me buying a lot of cola's before hand as I asked him before going to the checkout tills. I should of just went to the self checkout, but the main checkouts were empty so I went there, only to have a ***** treat me like this.

In all honestly, its people like her who wont get far in life. Let them have this kind of job. They will never be successful in life as they clearly don't think that the manager has more power than them in the workplace.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.