Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Should the government stop benefits to make people self-sufficient? Watch

ReputationRep:
    'I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation' - Margaret Thatcher - 1987

Never have I heard a truer word. Would the government be kinder by withdrawing benefits rather than willingly handing them out to people?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry... there is 'no such thing as society'? That is a bold statement to make.

Why should I pay my taxes if rugged individualism is what's going to solve all our problems? Especially in the wake of an economic collapse.

Could you propose some specific changes? I see bold rhetoric but no solutions or suggestions for progress.

ReputationRep:
    No, just no
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chadya)
    'I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation' - Margaret Thatcher

Never have I heard a truer word. Would the government be kinder by withdrawing benefits rather than willingly handing them out to people?
    If the government withdrew all benefits tomorrow the economy would be absolutely up **** creek due to a collapse in consumer confidence

Obviously you have the problem of all those people in receipt of benefits (which remember isn't just the unemployed) would promptly stop spending them, sucking large amounts of cash out of the economy.

Also, everyone would suddenly take up saving like their lives depended on it, as you never know when you may get fired, and thus also stop spending.

Pretty quickly you'd have serious deflation as businesses desperately try to provoke consumer spending, which isn't going to come because people either no longer have the money or are busily stashing it.

If you're going to do it, you can't just turn the taps off all of a sudden.

ReputationRep:
    OP, were people self-sufficient when no benefits existed?

ReputationRep:
    For those who can work but are unwilling, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    For those who can work but are unwilling, yes.
    This.

And also for families that earn over £25000. They don't need any benefit of any kind.

ReputationRep:
    Ok but remove anything that pushes costs up for people such as car insurance for example.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.