Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 studying biology, psychology, sociology and english literature. My passion is in biology and I am very much interested in studying biology at university however, I am unsure of what well paid jobs there are with a biology degree.
    I was thinking something along the lines of neuroscience/neurobiology??
    I would very much appreciate it if anyone could give me any information on well paid jobs related to bio and therefore what degree is needed
    Thanks guys!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Research based jobs are not well paid so I wouldn't go into it for the money, irrespective of what area of biology you're in. If you are going to study biology I would either pick an area that interests you or study something like biochemistry/mol. cell biol/biology to develop your interests. People with biology degrees can also go into things like finance which are much better paid.

ReputationRep:
    You can basically do anything with a Biology degree, research isn't particularly well paid though unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 212575)
    I was thinking something along the lines of neuroscience/neurobiology??
    What field of biology doesn't matter in terms of being well-paid or not, rather it depends on the *kind* of job it is. As others have mentioned, from a salary point of view scientific research is far from being well-paid (the bulk of grants and such go to research expenses, not the scientists' pockets). Jobs in the biotech industry would provide a higher salary if that's what you're looking for. Not surprisingly, these are highly competitive to get into...but then again what isn't competitive in science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Research based jobs are not well paid so I wouldn't go into it for the money, irrespective of what area of biology you're in. If you are going to study biology I would either pick an area that interests you or study something like biochemistry/mol. cell biol/biology to develop your interests. People with biology degrees can also go into things like finance which are much better paid.
    Thanks for that, im thinking about just doing a degree in biology because I enjoy it and then perhaps become a chartered accountant as I also have an intrest in accountancy and business and it only requires a 2:1 degree in whatever you want

ReputationRep:
    Also thanks everyone for the help really appreciate it! another quick questions what are the best unis for just a bio degree..ive researched and come across Sheffield, Durham, Lancaster, Nottingham etc...would you agree?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.