The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature - Love Through The Ages EXAM JUNE 2013

Not looking forward to this exam. I got a B overall at AS and I got an A (according to teacher) in this coursework, so a C in the exam will be enough to secure my B overall.

Just wondering if anyone has started preparing? I've started putting WR together, but gonna log it all in one over the Easter break.

I'm struggling with how to structure the exam, and worried about misinterpreting or not fulfilling the AOs. Anyone got any advice? Cheers.

My wider reading is basically:-

Novels:-
Notes On A Scandal
The Color Purple
Enduring Love
On Chesil Beach
Pride & Prejudice
Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time
Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit

Drama:-
A Doll's House
Romeo and Juliet
Much Ado About Nothing
Bent
A Streetcar Named Desire

Poems:-
John Donne, Carol Ann Duffy etc...
Shakespeare sonnets

Plan to read over Easter:-
Importance of Being Earnest
The Great Gatsby
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof

Gonna call it a day with wider reading after that apart from poems. I think that's enough.
If it helps anyone I have posted an analysis of The Flea by John Donne on youtube if anyone is studying it. My youtube channel is poetryhelp101 :smile:
Reply 2
how soon do you compare the two texts? I normally start and talk a long time about the first text but I feel like I should be getting the second in earlier.
Reply 3
Hi, I'm doing my English Language and Literature AS and A2 exams together very soon and I've found to compare two or three texts you can either use the anchor method or the integrated method.

Anchor Method:

Choose which text you are going to start with and make notes on what you are going to say about it. The use your notes on the first text to help you find comparisons with the other texts. Firstly, you begin writing about your anchor text and pick out relevant comparisons from the other that has meaningful similarities or differences and draw them into your piece. You need to use comparative words to help make it flow obviously but just remember to have a three point structure for each key comparison as this will make it a critical analysis.

Integrated method:

For this method you need to decide upon the ways you can compare the texts (lexis, syntax, cohesion, grammar) and use a logical order to compare the audience purpose and mode. I find that the audience, purpose and mode is best off being mentioned in the introduction and kept short and sweet to save on time. Then pick out examples of lexical and grammatical comparisons, stylistic features, cohesive issues and graphological patterns. Then just use key comparison words again and remember to integrate comments about attitudes, feelings and ideas of the narrative voices in the texts.

Personally I find that I use the integrated method alot more as I can section lexical, syntax/grammar, style and graphological features more, because with the other you find that you're talking about one text alot more than the other and this is a major factor in losing marks and you need to talk about them evenly.

Really hope this helps. Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 4
I begin with a basic, but deep description of the message each text is trying to convey - mentioning the period each was written in, and how this affects the differing in depiction of message.

I then try to do a paragraph on Language, comparing the ways the two use Lang to convey their meanings. I also fit in at the end a piece of wider reading similar/different to the texts, and discuss the use of their language. I also then explain that piece's period and its significance.

I then do the same with form...

And then structure...

And then finally, if I have time, I write a conclusion deciding my final analysis of the two texts, and reiterate the meanings they are trying to convey. I also try to mention my wider reading and how that's different/similar.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest