Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Confessing to my straight friend, advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasmyn)
    well i dont have enough life experience i guess since am only 14 but that doesnt make judgement fabricated because in what way have a generated an end? i used the information she gave to predict and ending just as you did but in my case because the end was negative (or not appealing/right according to you) that is why it is proving to be a problem.

but i am always open to criticsms and am happy accept your opinion. but as for now, i have nothing further to say execpt this girl should do as she sees fit.
    You're contradicting yourself buddy. You downed me for 'predicting' yet go on to say you were only predicting.

No disrespect to you, but I'm not gona sit here and argue with a 14 year lol. We'll agree to disagree.

Anyway OP, like mentioned above! Keep us informed And good luck man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    You're contradicting yourself buddy. You downed me for 'predicting' yet go on to say you were only predicting.

No disrespect to you, but I'm not gona sit here and argue with a 14 year lol. We'll agree to disagree.

am not condradicting myself. you said i was fabricating stuff but you were doning the same.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, anyone telling you that your homosexuality is wrong for religious reasons needs to be discounted. Sexuality is not as simple as a 'choice', and it is not a 'sin'. Anyone who would look down on you due to your sexuality has been taught to hate the concept, ironically by a church that labels itself 'loving' and 'community driven'.

I personally think that you need to gauge what her reaction would be before telling her. If it's likely that things will be weird between you afterwards, it might not be the right call. But, if you don't think it would weird her out, then you owe it to her to let her understand how you feel.

All I would say is that you need to know how much your friendship means to the pair of you and how it would change if you told her. I have to admit that if one of my male friends informed me that he was gay and that he had feelings for me, I would be slightly uncomfortable around him. Having said that, maybe she should take it as a compliment

ReputationRep:
    Worst thing that could happen is you get nothing, best thing is you get stinky fingers.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience (I was the friend who was confessed to) I would suggest that you tell her. Otherwise it will probably annoy you even after you have lost contact with her (if that ever happens). Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eponym)
    From my experience (I was the friend who was confessed to) I would suggest that you tell her. Otherwise it will probably annoy you even after you have lost contact with her (if that ever happens). Good luck.
    Was the friend who confessed to you of the same gender and how did you feel about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)
    Was the friend who confessed to you of the same gender and how did you feel about it?
    Yes they were. I knew they liked me for a year before they said anything. I just waited patiently for them to say something (we were best friends). I didn't mind at all, I treated them exactly the same way. However, there is more to the story but I don't think that's necessary here. Hopefully she will be open minded enough to understand your feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Either way op, telling her will result in you being able to move on. It may take a while, but you will.

I had to tell a friend of mine (albeit, she was a girl, but in a relationship), that I still liked her after a very long period of time (she knew I did previously before a relationship but didn't realise I still did). It didn't kill our friendship, and I've been able to move on, and my feelings are finally passing on.

If shes as good as a friend as you say, she may take a while to get to grips with it, and she may act funny for a while, but you wouldn't change how you react with her, and be with her, so she will get used to that fact over time.

You need to move on though for your own sanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)
    X
    You're approaching it all wrong. Simply ask her out for a drink. If she says yes, go for it. Go for another, all goes well, tell her you like her. If she doesn't reciprocate... well, you won't have made it into this big "confession", which makes it feel more unusual.

ReputationRep:
    i disagree with your homosexual feelings but am not here to judge you.
    How can you "disagree with homosexual feelings"?

I'm just curious about the mechanics of that, it's a bit like disagreeing with left-handedness.

ReputationRep:
    this is a totally unrealistic way of looking at this situation. just because you dont agree with what am saying doesnt mean its not good advice. she has already admitted that there is a possibilty that her friend will longer treat her the same so why ignore this fact?

you should rather give her the worst case scenario and then try and justify it, rather than assuming and hoping for the best when in heinz sight that possiblity that everything will be the way it is after a few weeks is not that likely.

live your life, yes ofcourse but always keep the feelings of others close at hand.
    Erm, the word is hindsight. I just needed to point that out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the advice and support guys! :3

(Original post by RemiMarcelle)

Tell us what happens afterwards, I want to follow his thread

(Original post by pmc:producer)
    Aha, I'll post here how it goes if it doesn't explode in my face ^^;

ReputationRep:
    I promise you will be alright I go to an all girls school and I'm bi, so it's difficult since I get crushes on people and I can never tell them and it's hell. Don't put yourself through that with what you're feeling. Tell her - but make clear that you're not going to do anything about it (as long as she's definitely straight ) and that you still want her to be your friend, the same as she always was. You just want her to know. X

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.