The Student Room Group

Is Religious Studies a good option to pick for GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

I find it very boring, but relatively easy. It doesn't require too much work, but the content bores me. That may be more of a reflection on the teacher than the course, though.
Reply 21
Yes, it really makes you question things you wouldn't normally think about. Plus, it requires less work than other subjects :tongue:
Reply 22
Hmmm i'd have to say yeah but personally nope because i hate it, I'm not being racist or anything but yeaa... its a repeat of the same crap over n over
Reply 23
Original post by chichi98
Yes it's definitely a good option!
Full course Religious Studies is compulsory at my school (we're a Christian school), and we do the OCR B Philosophy and Applied Ethics course (our school starts us midway through Year 9, I'm now midway through year 10). It's really interesting, and relevant today. I'm not a believer myself but it's widened my views as although the course mainly focusses on Christianity (well ours does anyway) our teacher always covers the same topic but from the viewpoint of another religion. And you get to mention your own viewpoints to access higher marks as well. I would definitely not say it's a free A*/A to whoever said that, because you have to work goddamn hard to get those grades, as boundaries are high. It's a lot of hard work but we were told it will look good in the future as it shows you can argue your points (OCR e) questions require this in essence) and keep a lot of points compacted into a *relatively* short answer. (As in, you have to make sure you back up all your points and don't write too much.) It also adds breadth to your subjects. I think it's a great option, because if it hadn't been compulsory for me I probably wouldn't have picked it as the image of Religious Studies isn't great in the minds of today's young people (including myself) but I'm learning a lot which I wouldn't have gained otherwise. My view of Religious Studies has changed dramatically since January 2012 when I started the course. Pick it, go for it, if you don't like it then just try your best and at the end you'll be able to say you have a GCSE in Religious Studies which is great.

I did it 7 years ago and it's only easy if you have exam skills (ours was no coursework). Really interesting.

Although people still were lazy and got low marks and still to this day find Hindus,Sikhs and Jews weird and consider Muslims as terrorists so they should make it a full course :/
Reply 24
Full course Religious Studies is compulsory at my school (we're a Christian school), and we do the OCR B Philosophy and Applied Ethics course (our school starts us midway through Year 9, I'm now midway through year 10). It's really interesting, and relevant today. I'm not a believer myself but it's widened my views as although the course mainly focusses on Christianity (well ours does anyway) our teacher always covers the same topic but from the viewpoint of another religion. And you get to mention your own viewpoints to access higher marks as well. I would definitely not say it's a free A*/A to whoever said that, because you have to work goddamn hard to get those grades, as boundaries are high. It's a lot of hard work but we were told it will look good in the future as it shows you can argue your points (OCR e) questions require this in essence) and keep a lot of points compacted into a *relatively* short answer. (As in, you have to make sure you back up all your points and don't write too much.) It also adds breadth to your subjects. I think it's a great option, because if it hadn't been compulsory for me I probably wouldn't have picked it as the image of Religious Studies isn't great in the minds of today's young people (including myself) but I'm learning a lot which I wouldn't have gained otherwise. My view of Religious Studies has changed dramatically since January 2012 when I started the course. Pick it, go for it, if you don't like it then just try your best and at the end you'll be able to say you have a GCSE in Religious Studies which is great.

Thank you so much! Great answer. :smile:
Original post by MusicMaestro97
Well thanks for that.
Drama was my 'easy' GCSE but triple science plus 3 languages and additional Maths, also all subjects at higher tier, doesn't really add up to photography/media studies. All I was saying was that it involves work as there is a hell of a lot on the course

Posted from TSR Mobile

fair enough then. to be honest I only had to do the short RE course so... haha
:redface: how can you say RE was not an easy subject if you did triple science!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I find RS so boring, it's unbelievable

I'm a Christian, but I can't stand the subject, even though as someone said above it could look good on your cv as it shows you can argue points etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile e
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Thank you everyone for your answers. :smile:
I've done GCSE RE. Wasn't hard. If you know how to write well and revise all the terms/definitions/principles, I don't see why you shouldn't get an A*.
I'm at a Catholic school, so they made me take it. It's dull, repetative, and really boring. If I were you, I would stay clear of it!
Reply 30

This - R.S is not easy at all, don't listen to whoever that fool is saying that. Fyi I do triple science and am on As/A*s and am a B in RS at the moment. I don't know what "R.E" is but that's easy i've heard but R.S is not, especially if you do OCR B.
Reply 31
Yes i would totally reccomend a gcse in Re im doing edexcel and its all opinion based learning with quotes to back up your evidence i thoroughly enjoy i got an A* 93/100 on my first unit im hoping to get the same in june this summer but really its your own choice but like i said i would highly reccomend it. Re gcse shows that your able to provide evidence to both sides of an arguements it shows how ethically intelligent you are and basically good at waffling on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by sneakbo2
This - R.S is not easy at all, don't listen to whoever that fool is saying that. Fyi I do triple science and am on As/A*s and am a B in RS at the moment. I don't know what "R.E" is but that's easy i've heard but R.S is not, especially if you do OCR B.

Re= religious education
Rs=religious studies
They are both the same thing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had to do it for GCSE. It was only worth half a GCSE, but I came out with a B through having no interest in it and doing no work in lesson, so it's very easy.
If you're interested in it then you should do it as you'll probably get an A/A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most schools have RE as a compulsory GCSE, however I would consider RE as an average. Subjects like History, Geography or Languages , are considered better, but it's considered better than Media or soft subjects like that. I found RE easy, as it's mainly simple essay skills. Giving points for and against, for a single religion.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
What ways would be be the best to revise this course ? My short course is with edexvel and on the 13th may....its.on Islam, if I learnt from the book about the chapters would the knowledge be specific ? Thanks
Reply 36
Original post by Midnight1811
What ways would be be the best to revise this course ? My short course is with edexvel and on the 13th may....its.on Islam, if I learnt from the book about the chapters would the knowledge be specific ? Thanks

Stick to the specification learn ALL keywords and atleast a quote for each topic to back up your evidence you need to be able to have well structured answers that give a clear percpective on your point of view for the 8 MARK QUESTION atleast give four good reasons or two well developed reasons or two reasons and one very cleverly developed reason for the 6 MARK QUESTION remember to give three simple reason or two fully developed reasons and same with the other side do atleast a couple of past papers atleast a week before the exam so you know what exam style questions your expectingif you need any more help please feel free to ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also surprised it's not compulsory. In my school, everyone had to do RE GCSE, and some were chosen to do an AS level a year early. (Saying that, I attended a Catholic school, I'm now in 6th Form).

I did the AS but I'm given to understand that topic-wise the 2 are very similar. For a lot of our classes we just argued scenarios, e.g. "A train is coming, there is a drunken hobo on one track and a newborn baby on the other, you have the power to change who it hits, it's on track to hit the baby - what do you do?"

Interesting topic, and you can surprise yourself with what you think you'd do in the Situation Ethics / Utilitarianism topics.
Reply 38
Original post by sneakbo2

I'm pretty sure I didn't say it was easy -.- I'm also on A* A* A for triple science at the moment, so there... I do OCR B as well, and am on an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
I'm pretty sure I didn't say it was easy -.- I'm also on A* A* A for triple science at the moment, so there... I do OCR B as well, and am on an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lool I agreed with your post, that's why I said "This" as in that is my opinion too. You have to work hard for RS but another user was posting as if it is the easiest subject in the world but it really isn't

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending