The Student Room Group

Summer out

Hii,

Not sure if I've posted this in the right place but I'm sure someone will be able to help me. I started work straight after I finished high school (middle of the summer holidays) and not had a probably break where I got to see friends and family. I was just wondering how badly it would affect me in getting a job if I took a few months (July & August) to see friends and family before they start going to University or jobs when we'll all see each other less? I know the current climate we're in with unemployment wouldn't be advisable but I've not had the chance to spend time with people that mean a lot and while I'm only young I need to make the most of it.

Any suggestions?
Reply 1
Personally id look for part time work and use the free days to see them and possibly try book in a few holidays in that time. Would not recommend having the whole two months off though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Personally I think you'll be fine as you still have plenty of experience and if you'd prefer having the time free over the extra money then go for it. I did pretty much the same thing last year, leaving my job I'd had since before college in May so that I had the weeks leading up to exams free and then the summer off to go on a family holiday, spend time with friends before uni etc. It didn't stop me getting a job in my uni city and I can't see it being a problem when I apply for jobs after uni either. If you're asked about the gap then just say you were seeking employment.

Edit: Part-time work is a good idea if you want to just apply for those roles for now, though you may have trouble with places thinking you're only applying for the role as a stop-gap until you get full-time work.

Also forgot to add you should of course be prepared for the fact that you may not find work again as soon as you start looking, though even if you started looking now you may not have found anything by September either. Also I've assumed you're not in a job or you're in a temp job ending before July. If you're quitting to spend a couple of months with friends then that sounds like a big risk.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending