Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mickk;[url="tel:55375429")
    55375429[/url]]Hi guys,

I'm a final year student in Finance at Strathclyde.

Happy to answer any questions, particularly about the business school or the more academic side of things. i.e rankings, lecturer quality, industry links, employment etc.
    @Mickk whats the employment scene over there? is it difficult for an international student to get a job after post graduation over there? and also tell ne about the blackfriars accomodation for students!
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mavi1801)
    Hello I am a peruvian student and I hold an offer for strathclyde master in finance program, I hold other offers too like bristol, leeds, leicsester, queens university belfast and surrey. I would like to study in a very good university with a high reputation in finance I found strathclyde in the financial times worl ranking for master in finance programs but besides of that raking I didn not find much information of this university and I have read sone bad comments about its reputation sayin that is bad and last choise university. Which is the real reputation? How are the job prospects for postgrad graduates? Which university will you recoment for finance?
    Hi there, I never studied finance and these are very specific questions. Everyone's opinions are subjective. If you think you would enjoy going to Strathclyde then go. It is one of the best business schools. It's right in the heart of Glasgow with lots to do. I don't know anything about those other universities so I wouldn't be able to comment. Additionally I only did my undergrad at university so not sure about post grad employment. I think this depends more on the person that what university you go to. You're going to have to put in hard work no matter what university you go to. You will need to do lots of extra curricular and work experience. You would have to do this no matter where you go. No one is going to offer you a job simply because you went to a certain university.

If you have any questions about the uni let me know,

Gemma

ReputationRep:
    lyrical_lie can you tell me about the blackfriars accomodation near strathclyde! can you give me a review
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helloadi1212)
    lyrical_lie can you tell me about the blackfriars accomodation near strathclyde! can you give me a review
    Hi there,

My boyfriend stayed there in his second year. It's private accommodation and for the most part it's pretty nice. Next door to an Aldi and a fantastic chip shop!

The rooms are fairly small, but you have a large desk, a bed and en suit bathroom. The flats are usually four people to a flat who share the kitchen and little living area. Also because it's private they won't put on any events for you etc.

They are also quite expensive for what you get. Tbh if you're not going to stay in uni halls I would recommend looking for a flat share instead. Most Strathclyders live around Alexandra parade or dennistoun where rent is about £250pm if you share with another person.

ReputationRep:
    have you heard of the clyde house? i want something with a private kitchen ! what would you recommend
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    have you heard of the clyde house? i want something with a private kitchen ! what would you recommend
    Never heard of it sorry. For your own kitchen maybe look for a one bedroom flat?

ReputationRep:
    hi
    i have been selected for sep 2015 session. want to know about the accommodation.
    are there any theater related activities going on?? will love to participate

ReputationRep:
    hi!i'm offered an unconditional place in Strathclyde University and i've applied for a studio in Clyde house. A friend of mine who already studies in Glasgow says that the area around there is ok but doesn't know about the Clyde house. Anyway we 'll see then

ReputationRep:
    hey @nikool123 even i have booked a stuido in clyde house! which course have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    hey @nikool123 even i have booked a stuido in clyde house! which course have you applied for?
    Meng Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering! What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikool123)
    Meng Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering! What about you?
    ive taken international management! where are you from?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dipesh_p)
    hi
    i have been selected for sep 2015 session. want to know about the accommodation.
    are there any theater related activities going on?? will love to participate
    I know there's definitely a drama soc, that do big plays throughout the year! You'll be able to find them at Fresher's fair!

And for accommodation: http://www.strath.ac.uk/accommodation/

That's pretty much everything here. If you read back through the thread you'll find more in depth conversation about the halls.

ReputationRep:
    Are there a lot of international students at strathclyde? I have heard from Brunel students that there were at Brunel, I'm just wondering if there are at strathclyde, and approximately the percentage overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Hi there,

I'm a third year law student, heavily involved in the uni, clubs, societies, the union etc. So if you have any questions bring them here and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know I'll find out for you. :awesome:

Oh and quote me or I might not see it
    For OP or anyone else who thinks they can help

I am considering Law as a third subject for starting this September. My primary subject is Politics and was going to do History as well.

How is workload for that first year with Legal Methods/Public Law? I am trying to find a balance between interest, workload and existing commitments (mature student with kids).

When I say the subjects to most friends they tell me its perfect for me. When I mention it to actual students I get sharp intakes of breath and comments on how much work it is.

Not afraid of hard work, I have gotten this far. I just don't want to kill myself IYSWIM?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilBlueBug)
    For OP or anyone else who thinks they can help

I am considering Law as a third subject for starting this September. My primary subject is Politics and was going to do History as well.

How is workload for that first year with Legal Methods/Public Law? I am trying to find a balance between interest, workload and existing commitments (mature student with kids).

When I say the subjects to most friends they tell me its perfect for me. When I mention it to actual students I get sharp intakes of breath and comments on how much work it is.

Not afraid of hard work, I have gotten this far. I just don't want to kill myself IYSWIM?
    If law is your third subject I would assume that you're doing a BA rather than the LLB. The BA students are in with the LLB students. So bear in mind that will all know each other as they will all have classes together every day. Personally as Law graduate legal methods was useful to us as it was all about the rule of law and the court system and how to find cases online etc. Personally I think unless you are extremely keen on law and want to go into legal based work it's probably not that relevant. Public law isn't particularly hard and if they haven't changed the layout back when I did it many moons ago it was 2 essays rather than an exam. Again don't know how useful it would be if you weren't going into law.

Let me know anything else and I'll see if I can do some digging as I actually graduated last year.

ReputationRep:
    If law is your third subject I would assume that you're doing a BA rather than the LLB. The BA students are in with the LLB students. So bear in mind that will all know each other as they will all have classes together every day. Personally as Law graduate legal methods was useful to us as it was all about the rule of law and the court system and how to find cases online etc. Personally I think unless you are extremely keen on law and want to go into legal based work it's probably not that relevant. Public law isn't particularly hard and if they haven't changed the layout back when I did it many moons ago it was 2 essays rather than an exam. Again don't know how useful it would be if you weren't going into law.

Let me know anything else and I'll see if I can do some digging as I actually graduated last year.
    Yes I am the BA. The legal methods and public law are the two classes given for BA students on the hand book. Just had the email through confirming this for curriculum submission.
    I don't have an end plan with this degree. I've spent about 2 decades trying to work out what I want to do when I grow up and I am still now closer now than I was when I was 16.
    So my aim is to choose subjects that interest me...and it was really the public law that caught my eye.

Thank you for your feedback on this btw I really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm a third year law student, heavily involved in the uni, clubs, societies, the union etc. So if you have any questions bring them here and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know I'll find out for you. :awesome:

Edit: I've now actually left strathclyde however I still have a huge amount of knowledge about glasgow and strath so I'm sure I'll be able to help find out the answer with you
    Hi there, did you know any psychology students and, if so, what they thought of their course, tutors, support, etc.? And I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer this as I don't know if other degrees there follow a similar system, but do many psych students have to stop at the end of year 3 (with a BA) rather than doing year 4 and ending up with MA? On the website it says numbers are limited for access to Honours. I'd be applying for second year entry (I do A Levels) but I'm not sure how that'll work if I can't progress onto year 4, as I would've only done 2 years.

I get the sense Glasgow is a great place to be a student, would you say that's right?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Edit: I've now actually left strathclyde however I still have a huge amount of knowledge about glasgow and strath so I'm sure I'll be able to help find out the answer with you
    I'm about to start my Law degree at Strathclyde (LLB), just wondering how much I can expect to be in classes each week in first year and how much reading/other work is needed. Also if you are no longer at Strathclyde have you graduated? If so what work are you now doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mogwai98)
    Hi there, did you know any psychology students and, if so, what they thought of their course, tutors, support, etc.? And I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer this as I don't know if other degrees there follow a similar system, but do many psych students have to stop at the end of year 3 (with a BA) rather than doing year 4 and ending up with MA? On the website it says numbers are limited for access to Honours. I'd be applying for second year entry (I do A Levels) but I'm not sure how that'll work if I can't progress onto year 4, as I would've only done 2 years.

I get the sense Glasgow is a great place to be a student, would you say that's right?
    I did love being a student in Glasgow, great nightlife, shopping, restaurants, parks, museums and all the jazz! Also everything is pretty close together which is good. I think what that usually means is that you have to get a certain grade to be allowed to continue onto the hons degree. However with law it was never set amount of numbers (as far as I'm aware) you just had to be at a high enough level. Also Masters is 5 years not 4 years. So the BA(hons) is 4 years, It's different to England.

I don't have any friends that studied psychology sadly. Most people I know are Lawyers and Engineers.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sewell98)
    I'm about to start my Law degree at Strathclyde (LLB), just wondering how much I can expect to be in classes each week in first year and how much reading/other work is needed. Also if you are no longer at Strathclyde have you graduated? If so what work are you now doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there, I graduated 2014 with a 2:1 in LLB (hons) tbh I could have put more work in and get a higher grade or at least a higher 2:1. Quite a few people actually came away with a 1st. To be honest it's quite lack in contact hours (this was something we complained about) there could be weeks I would be in between 4-6hours. However when you hit assignments and exams everyone pretty much lives in the library. Then in 4th year everyone is back in the library. Your final grade is completely dependent on 4th year. The lower years are about getting into the honours classes you want, then obviously you need to get at least 40% to progress through the years.

I actually decided I didn't want to go into to law. I now work in higher education, however with a 2:1 from a good law school it's put my in good stead to go into really any career I want.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.