Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about the final project. Is it like a presentation or is it like a dissertation? I have been accepted for the MSc in International Management and I was just wondering what to expect. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by egg face)
    I have a genuine question regarding student safety in Glasgow. I have an offer from both Aberdeen, and Strathclyde. My favorite from the 2 is Strathclyde. I've read that Glasgow is a very vibrant and exciting city to study in.. That said, I have also read it can have its elements of violence and crime. I appreciate no city can ever be 100% crime free and care should be taken wherever you go. However, my friends keep reinforcing my concerns telling me that as a male student I'm highly likely to be mugged, slashed, or worse.......stabbed !!!! I know their thoughts may be somewhat outdated and stereotypical., but it is seriously making me think twice about firming my offer. I want to have fun meeting new people, and experiencing a city I've never lived in before, but I don't want to be too afraid to venture out without constantly looking over my shoulder for fear of attack. I would greatly appreciate any feedback negative or positive from anyone who has experienced the city. I hope im not offending anyone, that's certainly not my intention. I look forward to any honest, and unbiased replies. Thank you in advance.
    I've studied here for two years now, and I have never been harmed nor heard of anyone being harmed. As you say, it's very difficult to have a city that is crime free, but you never hear of anything like stabbing/mugging/slashing going on especially in city center as the police are very responsive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStevenWilson)
    I've studied here for two years now, and I have never been harmed nor heard of anyone being harmed. As you say, it's very difficult to have a city that is crime free, but you never hear of anything like stabbing/mugging/slashing going on especially in city center as the police are very responsive.
    Thanks for the reply. That information is all very reassuring. I actually firmed my offer yesterday, and now all my freinds who had been putting me off have suddenly become quite pro Glasgow. Probably hankering for an invite. Lol. I'm really looking forward to it now. Roll on September. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by egg face)
    Thanks for the reply. That information is all very reassuring. I actually firmed my offer yesterday, and now all my freinds who had been putting me off have suddenly become quite pro Glasgow. Probably hankering for an invite. Lol. I'm really looking forward to it now. Roll on September. Thanks again
    I'm a 2nd year student at Strathclyde. I'm sure you'll love it here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go to strathclyde next year for IBML and I have to live at home during my first year but I'm really worried that me living at home would make my social life suffer. I heard from an IB student at strath that there's like a social devide between people who live in halls/flats and people who live at home because apparantly the people who live in halls/flats don't reallt make much of an effort to get to know the home people. do any other strathy students agree that this is true?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I'm coming to Strathclyde this September. Because of where I am from I will be in the High Flyer MCHEM program, as my secondary school qualifications allow me to. (so starting in year 2). What's the best student accomodation? And anything interesting about Glasgow..never been

ReputationRep:
    updated photos of chancellors halls anyone?? also what's James Young like?

ReputationRep:
    can you apply for halls if there is enough space when you live only 4 miles from the university?

ReputationRep:
    How big are postgrad classes for Strathclyde Business School?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys ! I am a french student and I have to choose very soon if I go to Strathclyde to study Business Administration ! Do you know anyone with who I could talk about it ? Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graham UWS)
    UWS?

Good luck. If I was you I'd try to get more details about uws as you might not fit in. Do you like to use your brain?

If all you want is a degree, a piece of paper to hang on the wall then this place is ideal for you. You won't bother at all, group work is a joke, lecturers are socially awkward, you WILL experience hostility if you try to engage with lecturers outside classroom, like if you knock on their office's door or ask a question related with your course when you meet any of them in the corridors. An absolute joke this uni. The relevance of the materials offered is as low as newspaper articles from the Scottish Sun and the Daily Record (these are Scottish tabloids by the way). As a matter of fact these are common references on the "lectures". A lecture is a powerpoint slideshow where the lecturer reads through about nothing or about potatoes and facebook and celebrities. All what 90% of the students want when they attend a lecture is to sign the register as attendance is basically the only criteria for you to get your degree. :eek:

Intellectual stimulus and challenging attitudes? If this is you or if you are looking for this, then look elsewhere. This uni is a perfect business model on how to make money from fees from idiots like me and thousands that fall for the fantastic corporate marketing policies they have. You WILL feel deceived if you come here. All these people want is to make money from thousands of undergraduate (remember £1820 per head per year given to this place by SAAS not to mention the RUK and the International students who pay 5 times more - from their own pockets) and postgradute students.

If you want to learn skills to survive outside after graduating go elsewhere. You have been warned. Good luck
    Are you talking about Strathclyde or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackswan91)
    Are you talking about Strathclyde or?
    No, he's talking about uws (University of the West of Scotland).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my third year in Business and have picked a minor subject as well as my major subjects. I have tutorials for all of my major subjects but I wondered if there are tutorials for the minor subjects as well?

ReputationRep:
    I totally disagree. I am the most experienced student of Strathclyde university, I know how things work at McCance, Faculty of Engineering, appeals etc.. I know it all and how rigged it is.
    (Original post by Lucia92)
    I'm a 2nd year student at Strathclyde. I'm sure you'll love it here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noblenab)
    I totally disagree. I am the most experienced student of Strathclyde university, I know how things work at McCance, Faculty of Engineering, appeals etc.. I know it all and how rigged it is.
    So do you like studying at Strathclyde or...? Rigged ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    R u kidding me,,here faculty care less to teach so no question surfaces about learning.

They are just rigging intl. students now they are even accepting people who failed ielts.

Worst dept. are biomedical, humanity, and business school.

(Original post by RossB1702)
    So do you like studying at Strathclyde or...? Rigged ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you like cats.!!! I want to get a cute one , can you help me out.
    (Original post by Lucia92)
    No, he's talking about uws (University of the West of Scotland).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Hi there,

I'm a third year law student, heavily involved in the uni, clubs, societies, the union etc. So if you have any questions bring them here and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know I'll find out for you. :awesome:

Oh and quote me or I might not see it

Edit: I've now actually left strathclyde however I still have a huge amount of knowledge about glasgow and strath so I'm sure I'll be able to help find out the answer with you
    Hi there mate, was wondering if you could give me a heads up on what there is nature-wise to offer around the uni? I'm a big fan of the great outdoors; hiking, climbing, walking, cycling, seeing impressive landscapes etc, and plus I love coastal areas especially. Any thoughts on those sorts of things and if Glasgow and the nearby surrounding area are any good for them? Obviously, being Glasgow, it's a big city, which I'm fine with, but I'd like a city with a bit of both, if you can see where I am coming?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xavier617)
    Hi there mate, was wondering if you could give me a heads up on what there is nature-wise to offer around the uni? I'm a big fan of the great outdoors; hiking, climbing, walking, cycling, seeing impressive landscapes etc, and plus I love coastal areas especially. Any thoughts on those sorts of things and if Glasgow and the nearby surrounding area are any good for them? Obviously, being Glasgow, it's a big city, which I'm fine with, but I'd like a city with a bit of both, if you can see where I am coming?
    I'm not the guy you asked but I live in Glasgow. If you're happy travelling (not enormously far) then there's great places to go nearby like Loch Lomond and the Trossachs national park around 40 mins - 1 hour away.

If you want to go a bit further then the Cairngorms are around 1.5-2 hours away up north. These are two of the most popular nature places to go in Scotland/UK.

Coastal areas, Glasgow is pretty close to the coast. Basically, if you're happy to travel 1 hour max you can get to anything you want from Glasgow. Scotland is great for that kind of thing and Glasgow isn't far away at all

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys Are there any mature students (or anyone else) in this thread who can tell me how long SQA highers are considered valid for entry to undergraduate degrees? I gained my highers 6 years ago and they are above the requirements for my preferred course but I am concerned that they may be considered 'expired'.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.