Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconhawkkk)
    Hi! Going to study English and History, but I have a few questions. Are you still able to 'go' to Freshers Week if you're 17? How does it work with regards to getting into places? And what kind of nights out or whatever or there?
    Also, would it be harder to make friends if you're living at home and under age? I'm scared of people regarding me as too young
    Thanks!
    I was 17 when I started. You can get into the union fine, you just can't buy alcohol (but you'll be pre-drinking mostly and if you're confident enough you can still just go up and ask tbh, I did!). Getting into clubs is basically impossible unless you borrow a friends ID (again, I did this). I'd recommend staying at the union during freshers if you're 17, just encourage your friends to do so too! Living at home, obviously it will be harder to meet people but as long as you can go to the uni during freshers it'll be cool. Being 17 never stopped me at all ahaha

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be 17 during freshers week as my birthday is not till the end of December. Will I be limited with anything at all or will I get access to every event or will there be exceptions? ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ewanex)
    I'm going to be 17 during freshers week as my birthday is not till the end of December. Will I be limited with anything at all or will I get access to every event or will there be exceptions? ?
    Read my above post, it should answer your questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollieeilloh)
    Read my above post, it should answer your questions!
    Yeah thanks lol! Maybe should look next time haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ewanex)
    Yeah thanks lol! Maybe should look next time haha
    Haha no don't worry about it, hopefully that helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollieeilloh)
    I was 17 when I started. You can get into the union fine, you just can't buy alcohol (but you'll be pre-drinking mostly and if you're confident enough you can still just go up and ask tbh, I did!). Getting into clubs is basically impossible unless you borrow a friends ID (again, I did this). I'd recommend staying at the union during freshers if you're 17, just encourage your friends to do so too! Living at home, obviously it will be harder to meet people but as long as you can go to the uni during freshers it'll be cool. Being 17 never stopped me at all ahaha
    Thank you so much! Puts my mind at ease, haha. The events during Freshers, like the bands playing and stuff, where will they be? Does the union have a building or will you be able to get in with a student card? Sorry for all the questions I'm just not sure how this works haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconhawkkk)
    Thank you so much! Puts my mind at ease, haha. The events during Freshers, like the bands playing and stuff, where will they be? Does the union have a building or will you be able to get in with a student card? Sorry for all the questions I'm just not sure how this works haha
    Aw no problem haha I was exactly like you! basically the union has 9 floors. The best ones are 2 (barony - it's like a big bar basically, the events there can be like DJs and stuff), 3 (the yard, just been renovated, lots of pool tables and TVs, more a chill out area) then 8 I think (which is vertigo, the most club like area)!
    You need your student card or a freshers pass to get in, if you wanna go out before you get your student card and haven't bought a pass (which was me) just print off your acceptance email from UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether it is worth getting the NUS Card or if I will get plenty of discounts with my regular student ID

Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RionS)
    I was just wondering whether it is worth getting the NUS Card or if I will get plenty of discounts with my regular student ID

Thanks for the help!
    Personally I've got an NUS Extra card (got it free from my bank) and never actually used it! Your normal student ID is pretty sufficient really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mirame)
    Yay, I'm glad to see ur post!
    So, I wanna know it all about the UFC... I have never played it before, but I have friends in the US who did and they got me totally hooked on that sport, now I really wanna try it for myself

I have a few questions regarding it.
    First of all, what about the age ratio? Is it only or mostly teenagers, 20+ or mature students perhaps? Just curious
    Also, how many total newbies do you get each year? (Well, I will be one of them )
    What about the membership/club costs?
    Lastly, are you guys all Scots in there or are there any Internationals among you?

Thx for taking the time to go through all my questions
    Hey! I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now, I haven't been on TSR much (at all) these holidays!
    Absolutely come along and join in if you're coming to Strathclyde! Sure we'd love to have you.
    We have players of all ages! Mostly people around early twenties, but there are a few in the late twenties there are other Ultimate clubs in Glasgow too, some people playing who are in their 30s, so it's a large age range! It's for everyone really

It's hard to say how many newbies we get. Usually in the first couple of weeks we have ~40 people trying it out for the first time. This is the same with most sports clubs, but after the first few weeks it dies down when people decide it's not for them or if they'd rather do other things. I reckon 20 people decide to stay, on average, but I can't be sure, I've only played a couple years myself :P

Club membership varies, I think it's £5, or £10 if you want to get a disc too. Gym membership for the year is around £90, which is worth getting if you go regularly to training, it saves money in the long run. There are also tournament fees on top of this if you decide to play in any!

And lastly, no, we're not all Scots! Admittedly, the majority of us are, but we have players from Ireland, England, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Greece, and so on :P

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    if you haven't picked up your student card and cant get it until monday, is it okay to get into the union with your acceptance letter and ID?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alaska.)
    Heeey

If anybody has any questions concerning the Business School, IBML (French, Spanish, Economics and Management Science in particular) quote me and I will answer you as soon as possible.

I also think that the University Gym is very well equipped and has enough machines so that people do not need to wait until their preferred machines are free.

Anybody wanting more info about Business, IBML and languages just quote me I am happy to help! xxx

Hey
    I'll be starting Psychology, French and Spanish(Introduction) this year (so excited )
    I was wondering about the book list that I found on pegasus.
    A lot of the books are an older edition. Like the grammar book for Spanish is an edition from 1996, although there is a newer version from 2012 available. I plan to buy most of my books second hand on amazon, since it's way cheaper and i wonder if the edition makes such a big difference...?
    Do you use the books mostly at home, or at uni as well?

And also about the uni gym: Can you just go there and work out? is there a fee to pay and is there anybody to introduce you to the machines... ?

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alaska.)
    Heeey

I am a first year IBML student, so I get teaching within the Business School and the HASS department as I currently study 4 business subjects and two languages

If anybody has any questions concerning the Business School, IBML (French, Spanish, Economics and Management Science in particular) quote me and I will answer you as soon as possible.

I also live in halls (Thomas Campbell Court to be precise) and can give some advice on that too.

I feel obliged to complain about Strathclyde's sh***y Wi-fi. Eduroam is almost never working in our halls, so everybody is using their ethernet cable and the Eduroam in the Library is very funky and kinda decides when it is going to work or not. I grew very accustomed to using library computers now, as they have a bigger screen and are all connected via ethernet cables, so they are all pretty fast. Opening times can be annoying, but the last VP of Education has informed us that if people are going to make good use of the 24 hours opening times in the May/ June Exam diet, it will be most likely implemented for the upcoming years. Normally the Vice Presidents and Class Reps contribute a lot to make your experience better and solve any major issues.
    I almost live in the library, it doesn't have many windows, but I think that is alright, they have great group discussion facilities (including soundproof rooms with big screens).

I also think that the University Gym is very well equipped and has enough machines so that people do not need to wait until their preferred machines are free.

Overall, I absolutely love studying at Strathclyde. The support within the Business School is amazing and lecturers&tutors listen and help you as well as they can!

Anybody wanting more info about Business, IBML and languages just quote me I am happy to help! xxx
    Hey!
    Can you please tell me about the Accounting & finance course at Strathclyde(BA hons.) ? How is the Strathclyde ranking and reputation all over the world? Is it reputed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Hi there,

I'm a third year law student, heavily involved in the uni, clubs, societies, the union etc. So if you have any questions bring them here and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know I'll find out for you. :awesome:

Oh and quote me or I might not see it
    Hi, thanks so much for this I think it’s a great idea I’m still not even sure if I’ll be applying to uni at all so there’s quite a mix of questions here :L sorry in advance :P
    I know Strathclyde has a High Flyers Programme for advanced (year 2) entry to sciences. Does this apply to biomedical engineering?
    I also read on the website that along with a physics (MPhys) and most other science degrees, you can study “electives” in years 1 & 2. What exactly does this mean and do you know if maths is a required elective for those doing a physics degree?
    The entry requirements for Journalism, Creative Writing & Education state that you need at least 2 “essay-based” highers one of which must be English. I got 5 As in my higher (including English) but I don’t think I have any other essay based subjects. Do you know what these might be? (this year I’m doing advanced higher maths, chemistry, physics and biology)
    thank you soooo soo much, don’t feel you have to answer all the questions btw :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevelee)
    Hey am a 4th year Forensic & Analytical Chemistry student and have done a one year placement in France. If you have questions give me a shout!
    Hi, thanks so much for this I think it’s a great idea I’m still not even sure if I’ll be applying to uni at all so there’s quite a mix of questions here :L sorry in advance :P
    I know Strathclyde has a High Flyers Programme for advanced (year 2) entry to sciences. Does this apply to biomedical engineering?
    I also read on the website that along with a chemistry (MChem) and most other science degrees, you can study “electives” in years 1 & 2. What exactly does this mean and do you know if maths is a required elective for those doing a physics or chemistry degree?

thank you soo much, you don't have to answer all questions btw :L
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah4p)
    I also read on the website that along with a physics (MPhys) and most other science degrees, you can study “electives” in years 1 & 2. What exactly does this mean and do you know if maths is a required elective for those doing a physics degree?
    The entry requirements for Journalism, Creative Writing & Education state that you need at least 2 “essay-based” highers one of which must be English. I got 5 As in my higher (including English) but I don’t think I have any other essay based subjects. Do you know what these might be? (this year I’m doing advanced higher maths, chemistry, physics and biology)
    thank you soooo soo much, don’t feel you have to answer all the questions btw :L
    Hey tbh they are very course specific questions electives usually mean specific classes you can pick, for example in law we could pick intellectual property or criminology things like that so I would assume it's the same for physics but obv physics based ones. No idea about the high flyers I studied law so wasn't really involved in science at all, best bet is to give admissions a call. Also with essay subjects I was in the same boat with my highers in S5 they were all science based except English so in S6 I did crash advance higher modern studies crash higher history and crash higher business so if you can do something similar it might help you out. But if you have all science highers and are looking at science courses and arts ones I would suggest sticking to one section as you can't do a personal statement for both and it will make it even more difficult for you to decide what you want to study. Hope my rambles helped a bit

ReputationRep:
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swan stardust)
    Hello :hello:
    it's so kind of you, that you're helping so many people
    I have some questions but i think they may be too many
    If you don't know to answer them, it's totally fine, whatever you may know would help me a lot
    So here i go hehe

1) Would you consider the university artsy?
    Artsy in what way? Like Art subjects? Not really to be honest there is a very heavy emphasis on STEM subjects, which was something I slightly disliked due to the fact that I studied law. If you mean art as in actual art then I would have to say no not really however they do have music and drama societies if that's what you're interested in that I believe are highly attended. Drama has their own theatre that they use.
    2) How is living in Glasgow like?

I really liked living in Glasgow as I've grown up there. As a city it's got a lot of variety. You have plenty of clubs and bars. From the very heavy get really drunk ones to the more chilled out hang with your friends with a couple of drinks. There are geeky cafes with gaming and board games. Lots of museums (which might be where you can get your art fix) A big library (with fiction not just the uni one) in the centre of town (near george sq). Lots of nice restaurants ,they have things like the Christmas fair with an ice rink in George Sq and a world food market in St Enoch's Centre at Christmas which is always go to go. The biggest cineworld in the UK so always plenty of showings, might be worth getting a cineworld card if you go a lot. The uni has loads of sports, as I said previously in the thread I was an archer and they have your general rugby, hockey, football, badminton etc.
    3) What do you know about the degrees ( BA ) in English, Spanish, Italian and French? Are students satisfied with the courses?
    Unfortunately not and I don't even have any friends that studied it. Like I said it's a very STEM uni.
    4) Are art-related events organised and are drama/film/literature etc societies active in the Student Union?
    Some, I know drama is active as I had friends in it and they had at least 2 plays a semester. My boyfriend tells me the concert bad had a least 100 folk in it and was really popular. I know there is a student newspaper, but how active it is I~'m not sure. I think fairly though as you always see copies of it around the uni. Also if there are any societies you wished were there but aren't then you could always start one. I know I would joined a film one if there was one!!
    Thank you so much for all of your help,i dearly appreciate it! Whatever you may need, please don't hesitate to ask me!

All the best :hugs:
    Heeey answers in bold! Sorry I couldn't answer some of them, but genuinely any follow up questions you can get me on here and I'll do my best to answer. I have left the uni now but I still have plenty of friends there so I can always try and find an answer for you.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Meh I have wanted to go to Strath for about 5 years but know its so hard to get into even more so for a mature student.

I wonder if you know about other student ids, I asked them before and they said its ok for students from other establishments i.e college to come in to non special events which were for the Strath students only just wanted to confirm.

If I got into it, it would of been so much easier.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.