Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Irish citizenship through descent - how does it work? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My biological grandparents (deceased) were Irish and born in the Republic of Ireland, however, my mother was born in England and adopted there at the age of 3. Can I still register for Irish citizenship by the descent from Irish grandparents rule, given that my grandparents were not my mother's legal guardians?
    Or would my adoptive grandparents be considered my real grandparents in the eye of the law?
    My mother never claimed her citizenship.

Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    Are you, by any chance, a decent soccer or rugby player? In fact even a semi-decent athlete in any code? We'll sort ya out

ReputationRep:
    On a more serious note... Have you tried here?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...h_citizenship/

ReputationRep:
    I believe if you are either 1st or 2nd Generation you can apply for Irish Citizenship. I'm eligible (I think) via my fiancee once we marry as her dad is Northern Irish (but if you are born in NI you can apply for a UK and an Eire passport) but she has to apply before me for citizenship. Not a lot of point as we both have UK passports and an Eire passport wouldn't get us in anywhere else Visa free anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Without reading that website, if you're part Irish biologically then I don't see why not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    Without reading that website, if you're part Irish biologically then I don't see why not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I'd be fairly confident he's entitled to it.

OP- Do you know/remember the footballer Tony Cascarino? He qualified for the Republic through his maternal grandfather being Irish even though his mother was adopted and therefore not of Irish descent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DK_Tipp)
    On a more serious note... Have you tried here?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...h_citizenship/
    Yes, I was just looking at that. It's quite useful but doesn't say much about adoption so I thought I'd ask around. Thanks everyone for the input, it seems like I could apply by registering as a foreign birth. (Presumably I can have dual UK/Eire citizenship?)
    Interesting about Tony Cascarino. So his adoptive grandfather was Irish?
    I'm female, by the way. I dance if that's any help?

ReputationRep:
    Utterly ridiculous. I'm descended from the Normans. Am I therefore French?

ReputationRep:
    im curious why youd like to take up the citizenship as it offers no perks over British citizenship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepbeeprichie)
    lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic works)
    Yes, I was just looking at that. It's quite useful but doesn't say much about adoption so I thought I'd ask around. Thanks everyone for the input, it seems like I could apply by registering as a foreign birth. (Presumably I can have dual UK/Eire citizenship?)
    Interesting about Tony Cascarino. So his adoptive grandfather was Irish?
    I'm female, by the way. I dance if that's any help?
    Dancing? Sure thing. Just join Riverdance = passport guaranteed.

I imagine once you produce evidence of your Irish heritage you'll be able to get one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    im curious why youd like to take up the citizenship as it offers no perks over British citizenship?
    I don't know anything about OP so I can't comment about her situation but I'm fairly sure having an Irish passport entitles you to free fees in Scotland because of some EU loophole that means the Scots can charge other UK students but have to offer equal terms to EU students as Scottish students.
    Certainly that story was widely reported and there was some stat about the number of English and Welsh students taking up Irish passports going up when that was brought in.

Also it probably entitles you to apply for financial support if you study in the Republic

ReputationRep:
    The Normans were not French. They were a Nordic people, descendents of earlier Viking raiders who conquered and eventually settled in the Normandy region.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    wondering this as well tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Cat)
    wondering this as well tbh
    If I decide to reside in the Republic permanently I imagine it would make things much simpler. Not to mention the extortionate cost of overseas tuition for a qualification I am interested in pursuing at Trinity in a few years' time if I decide not to register. But aside from that, I do like Ireland and I'm interested in my heritage, though I admit that certain elements of the law of descent are a stretch. I had no idea until recently that I might be entitled to citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic works)
    If I decide to reside in the Republic permanently I imagine it would make things much simpler. Not to mention the extortionate cost of overseas tuition for a qualification I am interested in pursuing at Trinity in a few years' time if I decide not to register. But aside from that, I do like Ireland and I'm interested in my heritage, though I admit that certain elements of the law of descent are a stretch. I had no idea until recently that I might be entitled to citizenship.
    You know that your British nationality entitles you to pay EU fees at Trinity and not International ones? Although Irish nationality might entitle you to more support- not sure.

Aside from that... it might be safer travelling on an Irish passports in certain extreme situations because of neutrality. That is too far fetched a reason to switch allegiance but I suppose having a second passport is always handy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    The Normans were not French. They were a Nordic people, descendents of earlier Viking raiders who conquered and eventually settled in the Normandy region.
    Well, they were the descendants of the Vikings and Franks. The Franks are what we would loosely call the French today.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they were the descendants of the Vikings and Franks. The Franks are what we would loosely call the French today.
    The Franks were Germanic though.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.