Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Feminism - does it still have a place? Watch

• View Poll Results: Does feminism still have a place in our society?
    Yes!
    58.33%
    No!
    41.67%
    I don't have an opinion (for you fence-sitters).
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that the Studentroom has been spammed with feminist-related threads of late, most of them negative.

Let's get it down to simple figures and allow some room in the forums for more interesting topics.

Do you believe feminism to be an ideology that still has place within this decade - serving as a way to protect and advance the rights of the 'fairer sex'?

Or do you believe feminism to be outdated and extinguished of its purpose, now a variable smorgasbord of over-offense and outdated rhetoric?

It's down to you! In case anyone cares, I'm personally pro-feminist.
    (Now, let this be the last time that a generic feminist-related thread is posted on the forums for a while.)
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Feminism in its defined sense is definitely a positive - gender equality is important for the establishment of a pleasant and fair society, and we're not quite there yet.

ReputationRep:
    oh joy another feminism thread

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a feminist but I really don't like the labeling for everything. We're just causing more conflicts with each other. Sorry off-topic.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    oh joy another feminism thread
    I set this up to give the community a sort of easily-accessible conclusion on this issue. I'm as sick of the threads as you are. Call this closure!

ReputationRep:
    Its purpose hasn't been extinguished, there are still areas where women are at a disadvantage compared to men. However, those disadvantages are comparable to those experienced by men in other areas, so no rational person is really going to feel passionately about such disadvantages because it isn't a men vs women thing.

That then leaves the irrational feminists being the most vocal, the most passionate, and these are the ones who don't trust men not to rape them, think politicians are screwing women over just because they're men and so on. These are the ones who 'give feminism a bad name', but actually, the 'good' feminists aren't doing much to kick them out, either because they can't or they won't. I'd say to the rational feminists who are left to move on and if they really want to promote equality, to do so from under an untainted banner, if a banner at all.

ReputationRep:
    There is so much stigma around feminism nowdays, media images are portraying feminists as man-hating and dirty, where all feminism is, is the belief in gender equality.

Lawfully, feminism is getting there. However in society, I do not think we are at equality yet. Examples of this would be slut-shaming and pressure on women's appearance.

I would elaborate, but I don't want to take up a page! Feel free to disagree with me if you wish!

So yeah, I do think feminism still has a place

ReputationRep:
    The media aren't portraying feminists badly,people have seen it for the fraud that is.

ReputationRep:
    I am starting to think that it should just be labelled gender equality instead. I know this is what feminism essentially is, but too many people are hang up on the fact that it has a "feminine" connotation to the word. Even the OP described it as the "fairer sex" which I don't particularly understand.

ReputationRep:
    This again?

ReputationRep:
    I have the utmost respect for the women to have fought for equality and although there is still a little way to go; women are not yet treated equally.

Whether this is desirable is a different story. Women fundamentally are not the same as men, this does not undermine their status but they cannot be treated equally. Women are child bearing, men are not. Therefore in the workplace, family life etc the roles will be different.

I don't believe true equality can or ever will be achieved. I understand women who support womens rights, but I think feminism has become too militant.

I consider myself peoplist, despite the above I dislike the mindset that "men are the evil race" or "women are weaker" blah blah blah. We need each other, the world would be an awful place without either sex, but for militant feminists to have such an issue with men and essentially hate us because we have a penis does not bode well with me.

And such a mindset is dated. I think we should move towards humanity, treating people fairly rather than pushing for equal treatment; because women are all too happy to receive the benefits this creates but when it comes to chivalry (opening doors, buying her a drink, being polite, helping women) they complain this has disappeared. If treatment is to be truly equal, then should you not pay for my dinner on a date?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nattywilliams)
    There is so much stigma around feminism nowdays, media images are portraying feminists as man-hating and dirty, where all feminism is, is the belief in gender equality.

Lawfully, feminism is getting there. However in society, I do not think we are at equality yet. Examples of this would be slut-shaming and pressure on women's appearance.

I would elaborate, but I don't want to take up a page! Feel free to disagree with me if you wish!

So yeah, I do think feminism still has a place
    You make a valid point, but at university I've met many feminists who are man hating. Usually the spark, the initiator which makes a woman feminist is because she has been treated poorly by men, be it in a relationship etc.

And besides, lets not pretend men don't have the same stigmas applied to us. We're expected to be "men and not cry", we are under equal pressure to look good nowadays, have a six pack, muscles and perfect skin which essentially may be more hard for us to attain as we don't have the benefit of makeup.

So both sexes suffer from pressures from society, lets not pretend its a female exclusive problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman_123)
    I have the utmost respect for the women to have fought for equality and although there is still a little way to go; women are not yet treated equally.

Whether this is desirable is a different story. Women fundamentally are not the same as men, this does not undermine their status but they cannot be treated equally. Women are child bearing, men are not. Therefore in the workplace, family life etc the roles will be different.

I don't believe true equality can or ever will be achieved. I understand women who support womens rights, but I think feminism has become too militant.

I consider myself peoplist, despite the above I dislike the mindset that "men are the evil race" or "women are weaker" blah blah blah. We need each other, the world would be an awful place without either sex, but for militant feminists to have such an issue with men and essentially hate us because we have a penis does not bode well with me.

And such a mindset is dated. I think we should move towards humanity, treating people fairly rather than pushing for equal treatment; because women are all too happy to receive the benefits this creates but when it comes to chivalry (opening doors, buying her a drink, being polite, helping women) they complain this has disappeared. If treatment is to be truly equal, then should you not pay for my dinner on a date?
    In a nutshell. Pushing for total equality, between that which is different, is futile. Men and women aren't equal, and never will be; equal worth, sure, but not EQUAL. It's like following dogs and cats about, and nitpicking any differences between the behaviour of the two. When it comes down to it, men like feminine women, and women like masculine men, ON AVERAGE; and all the better for it, I feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truffle_girl)
    In a nutshell. Pushing for total equality, between that which is different, is futile. Men and women aren't equal, and never will be; equal worth, sure, but not EQUAL. It's like following dogs and cats about, and nitpicking any differences between the behaviour of the two. When it comes down to it, men like feminine women, and women like masculine men, ON AVERAGE; and all the better for it, I feel.
    Perfectly said

ReputationRep:
    not really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman_123)
    Perfectly said
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how you define feminism. If you define it as simply another word for gender egalitarianism then yes feminism has a place. If you define it by what has actually been done in the name of feminism then absolutely not.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.