Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vian)
    Although off-topic, you do realise all of modern medicine is based on research done into Biology, Chemistry and Physics don't you?
    I think he may be trolling?

ReputationRep:
    University courses aren't all about training someone for a particular job. They are primarily for interest and also provide transferable skills.

What we should be doing is reducing the expectation that people will go to university and the need for them to have a degree when learning on the job or similar will do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I am not wishing to be nasty to you, but I would be critical about this in a 17 year old. In a 27 year old, it is indefensible. Spend time putting together a career plan (or a couple bearing in mind the first one may not work out) and then implement it.
    I'm not sure a career plan is necessary.

I left a low paid job to go to uni without knowing what I wanted to do after. I certainly didn't think "I will do uni and do X"; I thought "Well whatever happens it can't be as bad as this". In short, it was a risk I was willing to take.

I never planned to go into law- only in my final year did I really think about it. And yet here I go... Many of my friends at law school are the same. Maybe we all managed to convince recruiters it was out driving goal? Maybe not..

Maybe I'll turn up in your office in September and we'll see

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    I'm not sure a career plan is necessary.

I left a low paid job to go to uni without knowing what I wanted to do after. I certainly didn't think "I will do uni and do X"; I thought "Well whatever happens it can't be as bad as this". In short, it was a risk I was willing to take.

I never planned to go into law- only in my final year did I really think about it. And yet here I go... Many of my friends at law school are the same. Maybe we all managed to convince recruiters it was out driving goal? Maybe not..

Maybe I'll turn up in your office in September and we'll see

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do as I say, not do as I do.

Okay, I wasn't then a mature student but I was invited to do Oxbridge entrance by my VIth form. I couldn't make head nor tail of the tripos system in the Cambridge prospectus so Oxford it was (though as I always backed the dark blues in the boat race there might have been a bit of wish fulfilment).

Of my A level subjects I hadn't done enough maths to read it; I had been put off geography by poor human geography and mad physical geography teachers and I would have had to do philosophy, in which I had no interest, and politics, which I wouldn't have minded, in order to read economics. Theology didn't require A level RE but did need Greek which I didn't have. That left jurisprudence.

Virtually as I arrived through the door for my first term, I was told to apply to the College of Law for Law Society Finals before the places ran out (obviously some other universities had had several weeks' head start).

30 years later...

ReputationRep:
    In reality we should consider the opposite of the OP

University degrees should be for the furthering of academic knowledge

Science degrees are pointless ... they are vocational degrees and students should learn their trade on the job

[looking closely will reveal the devil that I act as advocate for}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vian)
    Although off-topic, you do realise all of modern medicine is based on research done into Biology, Chemistry and Physics don't you?
    yes, but that has nothing to do with employment prospects

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.