Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

I'm the opposite of the blunt, saying it, as it is, type of people. Watch

ReputationRep:
    You know when someone says 'not a lot of people like me as I'm a blunt, tell it how it is and don't take any ****' ?

Well, I'm the opposite of that. I say yes when I don't mean it/want too, I'm scared of upsetting people, a people pleaser, even when I was at the barber today I let him do the style of haircut he wanted to do, rather than what I wanted. That says it, and explains it all. I'm ashamed of myself, I'm meant to be a man. I've let you down manhood.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Did you want to keep your grey hairs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Lol'd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Lol'd

ReputationRep:
    I don't think It's something to be ashamed of nor do I think It's a 'manly' thing to be blunt. You're just being a bit too nice, from what I gather. Maybe still be nice-but say the truth in a tactful way in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarmouse)
    I don't think It's something to be ashamed of nor do I think It's a 'manly' thing to be blunt. You're just being a bit too nice, from what I gather. Maybe still be nice-but say the truth in a tactful way in future.
    Yeah, hopefully I'll get the guts to do that from now on, they might respect a bit more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack the hat)
    :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're alone to be honest. A lot of people go around saying "yeah, I'm so blunt. I say what I think." In reality, they're nothing of the sort and won't even send a meal back in a restaurant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I don't think you're alone to be honest. A lot of people go around saying "yeah, I'm so blunt. I say what I think." In reality, they're nothing of the sort and won't even send a meal back in a restaurant.
    It would be nice to think that they were deep down like that, as you said, it would mean I'm not alone.

ReputationRep:
    You know when someone says 'not a lot of people like me as I'm a blunt, tell it how it is and don't take any ****' ?

Well, I'm the opposite of that. I say yes when I don't mean it/want too, I'm scared of upsetting people, a people pleaser, even when I was at the barber today I let him do the style of haircut he wanted to do, rather than what I wanted. That says it, and explains it all. I'm ashamed of myself, I'm meant to be a man. I've let you down manhood.
    Grow a pair.

ReputationRep:
    It would be nice to think that they were deep down like that, as you said, it would mean I'm not alone.
    You don't even have to look 'deep down'. Being opinionated on the internet or as a show of bravado to your friends doesn't really constitute being 'blunt'. In reality there are very few people I know who have absolutely no filter on what they say. Like I said, put most people who claim to be blunt in an unfamiliar situation or with people they don't know, e.g. in a job interview, and you'll soon notice that it's all a show, and only when it suits them.

Besides, being blunt isn't something to strive for. In reality, it shows you have little/no regard for the feelings of others and that isn't a good thing. Be confident and don't take any crap, yes, but blunt - to the point where you upset people - no.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, hopefully I'll get the guts to do that from now on, they might respect a bit more?
    Don't try to change who you are though. I try to be honest with people but I'd always consider the best way to put things so that I'm not being nasty..Unless I've good reason to be!
    One reason I fell for my man is he was like me in this respect. Being blunt isn't the same as being mean, but a lot of people could do with being a bit more tactful, IMO.
    I.E my Mum -I recently sent her pictures of me and some other people,me in a new dress on a day out, she rang me later and told me she thought I looked 'haggared'.
    Now, if that was me-I'd have maybe said something like 'I'm not sure about those picture, I've seen you look better!'
    Or something. Not lying not pretending to think something you don't think-but not being nasty either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    You don't even have to look 'deep down'. Being opinionated on the internet or as a show of bravado to your friends doesn't really constitute being 'blunt'. In reality there are very few people I know who have absolutely no filter on what they say. Like I said, put most people who claim to be blunt in an unfamiliar situation or with people they don't know, e.g. in a job interview, and you'll soon notice that it's all a show, and only when it suits them.

Besides, being blunt isn't something to strive for. In reality, it shows you have little/no regard for the feelings of others and that isn't a good thing. Be confident and don't take any crap, yes, but blunt - to the point where you upset people - no.
    (Original post by sugarmouse)
    Don't try to change who you are though. I try to be honest with people but I'd always consider the best way to put things so that I'm not being nasty..Unless I've good reason to be!
    One reason I fell for my man is he was like me in this respect. Being blunt isn't the same as being mean, but a lot of people could do with being a bit more tactful, IMO.
    I.E my Mum -I recently sent her pictures of me and some other people,me in a new dress on a day out, she rang me later and told me she thought I looked 'haggared'.
    Now, if that was me-I'd have maybe said something like 'I'm not sure about those picture, I've seen you look better!'
    Or something. Not lying not pretending to think something you don't think-but not being nasty either.
    Yeah, I see where you both are coming. Be able to say no and say what you want to say, just put it in a way that won't make you look horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Grab your barber on the balls and say you're a man, demand what you want!

ReputationRep:
    In formal purely social situations it's no bad thing to be mostly polite and inoffensive so dont beat yourself up.

On the other hand if you're paying for something you're entitled to have it the way you want it.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.