Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

What is 'chemistry' and how important is it to you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently had a first date with a guy I met at a party, I thought it went ok, we talked throughout about everything and anything, no weird silences.

I was undecided about him but I thought a quick coffee wasn't really fair to write him off so I thought of organising a second date just to see how I felt about him.

He texted me that night saying 'you're a really lovely girl but I felt there was no chemistry and feel a second date won't change anything'

Just wondering how key first date chemistry is to people...Does it instantly happen or does it take a few dates for it to develop?

ReputationRep:
    I've never been on a date however for me I think that chemistry is something that is almost instant. It's like you either have chemistry or you don't, you can't force it.

ReputationRep:
    So relieved. Read the title and thought you were wanting help with a personal statement.
    Chemistry is.......... hard to explain

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry like love is hard to explain, it just 'is' and you know it when you feel it.

Think back to all your relationships, flings, flirtations and such where you felt a connection, like you guys clicked, where it seemed good and you were on the same wavelength.

I'd say chemistry is strong sexual attraction and personalities that compliment each other some-how.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience it's when you can just 'click' with someone for an indescribable reason. I'm usually quite shy but when I met my ex-boyfriend we just clicked immediately and I could just relax and open up to him straight away. It made no sense because he was the usual personality that I found intimidating and we didn't have that much in common but there was something there. It sounds so cliché but it was like I had known him my whole life.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've had conversations with girls who were stupid, ignorant (or were intelligent but shared very different interests or views to me) and there was low 'chemistry', regardless of their attractiveness. Conversely, I've had conversations with girls who shared my views and interests and there was high chemistry regardless of attractiveness, and I wanted to spend time with them. So I actually think that chemistry isn't so much physical as it is intellectual/emotional. I mean, I don't necessarily see a difference between having chemistry with a friend, and having chemistry with a possible partner. In effect:

Chemistry = Intellectual and emotional similarily because

No 'chemistry' with a person with no physical attractiveness = person I dislike
    'Chemistry' with a person with no physical attractiveness = friends
    No 'chemistry' with a person with physical attractiveness = sex object
    'Chemistry' with a person with physical attractiveness = potential partner

ReputationRep:
    Was more important to me in the GCSE days, when I was doing dual science.

ReputationRep:
    I saw the title and thought it would be an awesome science thread :emo:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's a very interesting subject and pretty important to me as I finish off my masters degree in it.

:troll:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think chemistry has to be instantaneous, but if its been 5 dates and you're still not feeling it, chances are, you never will.

I remember after my first date with my ex, I wasn't feeling particularly excited by her. Hell, i think i even thought that i wouldn't see her again. However, a few days later i organized another date, and it was simply amazing. We had a great time, both just free and laughing all the time, just easy going. It was a contrast from the first date...perhaps due to nerves the first time round.

Unless there is a blindingly obvious reason (i.e. they are completely off-putting or not your type at all), i actually believe a 2nd date is a must, just to give each other time to relax and know each other better.

You cant always judge things so quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, a branch of physical science, is the study of the composition, properties and behavior of matter. Chemistry is concerned with atoms and their interactions with other atoms, and particularly with the properties of chemical bonds. Chemistry is also concerned with the interactions between atoms (or groups of atoms) and various forms of energy (e.g. photochemical reactions, changes in phases of matter, separation of mixtures, properties of polymers, etc.).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.