Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Adultery be Illegal? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It won't do anything and frankly if anyone does have this problem, laws should have nothing to do with it, it's more of a personal matter.

A law is way too strict for something which doesn't affect anyone in the public excluding the people involved.

ReputationRep:
    Lol'd

Britons are so much more dishonest than in 2000 that extramarital antics, drink-driving, underage sex and lying are seen by many as reasonable behaviour.

Some 70 per cent claimed having an affair was never justified at the turn of the century but this dropped to 50 per cent last year.

But we are less tolerant of benefit cheats, with 78 per cent condemning them in 2000 and 85 per cent in 2011.

The findings of an ‘integrity’ study are based on the extent to which participants justified acts such as dodging fares on public transport and keeping money found in the street.

Younger people are more likely to condone such behaviour and women have more integrity than men, the University of Essex found.

‘If people are suspicious and don’t work together, those communities will be less happy and less economically developed,’ said Prof Paul Whiteley, who led the study.

http://metro.co.uk/2012/01/25/brits-...cheats-296702/

(Original post by yellowcopter)
    A law is way too strict for something which doesn't affect anyone in the public excluding the people involved.
    Yes, because emotional trauma, family break downs, child sufferings are ineffective right....?

ReputationRep:
    What century are you living in?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    That would be progress.
    Next you'll be saying going back to burning witches would be progress. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What if the other partner is okay with it?

Besides, I'm pretty sure the effects to the children would be much greater if one parent goes to jail...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    Next you'll be saying going back to burning witches would be progress. :rolleyes:
    Not really, but people who try to sell potions saying they will "cure your life problems", giving a false sense of hope or those pretending like they can see someone's future, making money through deceptive methods; then I have no quarrels with their demise.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, but people who try to sell potions saying they will "cure your life problems", giving a false sense of hope or those pretending like they can see someone's future, making money through deceptive methods; then I have no quarrels with their demise.
    Yeah, those people are ********s... not sure I want them dead though.

ReputationRep:
    Prisons would be too overcrowded if it was.

Also there is the touchy issue of males have been genetically programmed through evolution to try to mate with as many different females as possible in order to maximize their chances of creating offspring (I learnt this in A-level psychology, not just talking out my ass). So essentially, you're making one of a male's natural instincts illegal. That is kind of like making it illegal for a girl to have a period, or for someone to breathe.

But yeah that is a touchy issue and I don't condone cheating, just to be clear on that.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Actions of a conseunsual nature, no matter how unethical they're considered to be, provided they harm none cannot be reasonably justified to be enforced by law. It ought not to be the law that people act morally, merely that they don't transgress upon others' rights, and that they act in ways society deems necessary in order to mitigate legitimate harm.

Besides, such a law would be ineffectual, costly and impractical to uphold.
    But if a married man sleeps with a random women, without saying that he is married, does that count as "consensual" sex? Does she consent to sex with a male who happens to have his DNA, or does she consent to having sex with the guy who he had told her he was? Is this "fraudulent" (used loosely) behaviour transgressing upon an others rights? Should we not attempt to mitigate the harm that may happen to this woman, and indeed the harm to the spouse?

ReputationRep:
    It definitely shouldn't be a crime. However it would make some sense if it was illegal under civil law. After all a marriage is a contract, and monogamy could be considered part of that contract. So breaking it would mean your spouse could sue you, but it's not like the police would come and arrest you, and if your spouse doesn't mind then you would not be punished.

Although, does any legal expert know if that's the case already? Presumably adultery is grounds for divorce, so does that mean it already is illegal in this sense?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaliack)
    But if a married man sleeps with a random women, without saying that he is married, does that count as "consensual" sex? Does she consent to sex with a male who happens to have his DNA, or does she consent to having sex with the guy who he had told her he was? Is this "fraudulent" (used loosely) behaviour transgressing upon an others rights?
    I think 'consent' refers to the act itself, whether or not someone has omitted truths to get there. She consents to have sex with that person in that moment (regardless of misconceptions or ignorance about his life).

(Original post by zaliack)
    Should we not attempt to mitigate the harm that may happen to this woman, and indeed the harm to the spouse?
    I don't think it's worth the attempt - I can't see a way in which it could be reasonably enforced, even if it was decided to be suitable in principle. I don't know how a system would work where we would force people to tell the truth to each other in order to make sex consensual - my guess is that there would be a lot of 'unconsensual' sex going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Nothing to do with religion or morality as such - but I've often wondered, given the misery that horrendous damage that adultery inevitably causes, whether it should in fact be considered a crime?
    Hell no. Making it illegal and a criminal offence would be a very bad idea. Plus I would argue that it might be considered somewhat oppressive and wholly unnecessary.

That would be progress.
    And then what, stoning them to death too?

ReputationRep:
    At the very least it's a breach of contract, those vows said in front of witnesses to have no others etc.

ReputationRep:
    That sums up some religions pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because emotional trauma, family break downs, child sufferings are ineffective right....?
    Yep, society would be even more ****ed even people went to prison for having sex with someone who's married.

ReputationRep:
    you should try to change peoples opinion about relationships and sex that lead to such idiocy rather make something illegal and greatly improbable to cover in today's society

ReputationRep:
    The only legal thing about marriage is that you can't have multiple ones. There is no law that dictates who you can or can't sleep with, even after signing a marriage contract.

The only jurisdiction here is the partner you've cheated on. Who knows, maybe people like open relationships.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.