Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So I'll start off I'm from the US and recently was accepted to Newcastle University and Manchester. I've been grappling with making a decision but as I have almost no objective sources I thought I'd turn to the TSR community!

If anyone has an opinions one way or the other, it would be great to hear them.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is big and very wet. I have never met a student who was not happy at Newcastle and I know quite a few. I know someone who was at the RNCM in Manchester. Loved it but the rain got her down a bit.
    Newcastle is marginally cheaper and IMO more friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    Manchester is big and very wet. I have never met a student who was not happy at Newcastle and I know quite a few. I know someone who was at the RNCM in Manchester. Loved it but the rain got her down a bit.
    Newcastle is marginally cheaper and IMO more friendly.
    Thanks, I kind of was getting that impression - I mean it seems as if Newcastle is constantly e-mailing to tell you about different opportunities/where to start, whereas Manchester didn't even send an acceptance e-mail?

But what I was worried about was how well a degree from Newcastle would transfer over/be recognized outside of the UK compared to Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    I have friends with degrees from both. They seem more or less identical in terms of status. That being said, departments have reputations as well and I do not know enough about the relative status of the Newcastle and Machester departments to comment. I assume you are comparing Newcastle University with Manchester University and not talking about Manchester Met or Northumbria. In Manchester, there is UMIST which has a good reputation I believe. I do not know if it is a separate institution or part of the main University but you can soon google that for yourself.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.