The Student Room Group

MSc Mechanical Engineering

So I'll start off I'm from the US and recently was accepted to Newcastle University and Manchester. I've been grappling with making a decision but as I have almost no objective sources I thought I'd turn to the TSR community!

If anyone has an opinions one way or the other, it would be great to hear them.

Thanks
Reply 1
Manchester is big and very wet. I have never met a student who was not happy at Newcastle and I know quite a few. I know someone who was at the RNCM in Manchester. Loved it but the rain got her down a bit.
Newcastle is marginally cheaper and IMO more friendly.
Reply 2
Original post by nerak99
Manchester is big and very wet. I have never met a student who was not happy at Newcastle and I know quite a few. I know someone who was at the RNCM in Manchester. Loved it but the rain got her down a bit.
Newcastle is marginally cheaper and IMO more friendly.

Thanks, I kind of was getting that impression - I mean it seems as if Newcastle is constantly e-mailing to tell you about different opportunities/where to start, whereas Manchester didn't even send an acceptance e-mail?

But what I was worried about was how well a degree from Newcastle would transfer over/be recognized outside of the UK compared to Manchester?
Reply 3
I have friends with degrees from both. They seem more or less identical in terms of status. That being said, departments have reputations as well and I do not know enough about the relative status of the Newcastle and Machester departments to comment. I assume you are comparing Newcastle University with Manchester University and not talking about Manchester Met or Northumbria. In Manchester, there is UMIST which has a good reputation I believe. I do not know if it is a separate institution or part of the main University but you can soon google that for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending