Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Science of the "location" of thought/mental imagery. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't want this to be necessarily philosophical, as I do want it to be a questioning of science.

Simply put, "where" is the image I have in my mind of my old summer house?

Basically, right now I am thinking (in images) of my old summer house by the coast. "Where" is this thought?

Similarly, I am now imagining a series of images (i.e. mental film) of an imaginary army of 500 million soldiers advancing towards an imaginary continent situated on an imaginary planet which houses 200 billion humans. "Where" is this mental film? What is its location?

I have just thought in images the words "I have just thought in images" - I have mentally written it in my head and I look upon it in my mind's eye as I would look upon it on paper. "Where" are these mentally written words?

In short, "where" are our thoughts? "Where" are these mental images? "Where" is our "mind's eye"?

ReputationRep:
    You kind of answered your own question: in yourself, in your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean what area of the brain? Or in what state the image is in?

The 'image' isnt really located anywhere, there information of the image is spread across a network of neurons.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts are not themselves physical, but rather they are the consequence of what is physical. Neuroscience is not sufficiently advanced enough to pinpoint neural activity and determine their relationship to specific thoughts (though we can identify areas of thought, such as sexual thoughts, as being associated with different regions of the brain) - the answer to your first question is currently unknown.

Mental images are not themselves anywhere because they are only a product of activity - they are an experience and it makes no sense to talk about the locations of experiences. All we may talk about is where that experience occurred, or where was the location of the thing that caused it. The answer to this is in neural activity, for which again the specifics remain unknown.

The "mind's eye" is a metaphor. We must analyse what we mean by it in order to make sense of the question of where it is. Wikipedia says that it "refers to the human ability for visualization, i.e., for the experiencing of visual mental imagery; in other words, one's ability to "see" things with the mind." It goes on to state, "The biological foundation of the mind's eye is not fully understood. fMRI studies have shown that the lateral geniculate nucleus and the V1 area of the visual cortex are activated during mental imagery tasks."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viriol)
    You kind of answered your own question: in yourself, in your mind.
    The "mind"? So, you mean the brain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Do you mean what area of the brain? Or in what state the image is in?

The 'image' isnt really located anywhere, there information of the image is spread across a network of neurons.
    Rather, "where" is the actual image that I am thinking? Sure, analysis of the brain can pinpoint what part of the brain lights up when I think up the image, but "where" is the image, much like you would see it on a camera screen or a projector or whatnot.

You talk of information of the image - and this gives rise to the thought of the image? And yet, on what plane (of existence? of reality?) is this image?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Thoughts are not themselves physical, but rather they are the consequence of what is physical. Neuroscience is not sufficiently advanced enough to pinpoint neural activity and determine their relationship to specific thoughts (though we can identify areas of thought, such as sexual thoughts, as being associated with different regions of the brain) - the answer to your first question is currently unknown.

Mental images are not themselves anywhere because they are only a product of activity - they are an experience and it makes no sense to talk about the locations of experiences. All we may talk about is where that experience occurred, or where was the location of the thing that caused it. The answer to this is in neural activity, for which again the specifics remain unknown.

The "mind's eye" is a metaphor. We must analyse what we mean by it in order to make sense of the question of where it is. Wikipedia says that it "refers to the human ability for visualization, i.e., for the experiencing of visual mental imagery; in other words, one's ability to "see" things with the mind." It goes on to state, "The biological foundation of the mind's eye is not fully understood. fMRI studies have shown that the lateral geniculate nucleus and the V1 area of the visual cortex are activated during mental imagery tasks."
    Thankyou.

Whilst I fully understand that neuroscience is not yet sufficiently advanced, issues still remain.

In short, what follows on from what you've just said is that thought is in another dimension, no? Another plane of existence/reality? If it was just the product of information/activity, then it would necessarily be that a computer could "see" images/words?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Thankyou.

Whilst I fully understand that neuroscience is not yet sufficiently advanced, issues still remain.

In short, what follows on from what you've just said is that thought is in another dimension, no? Another plane of existence/reality? If it was just the product of information/activity, then it would necessarily be that a computer could "see" images/words?
    No, thoughts do not occupy any dimensional space; thoughts are experienced. Consider another kind of experience: happiness. Happiness does not exist physically, it is merely the label we give to a sensation that we feel. What does exist physically are the neurochemicals serotonin and dopamine that evoke that sensation from us.

ReputationRep:
    Rather, "where" is the actual image that I am thinking? Sure, analysis of the brain can pinpoint what part of the brain lights up when I think up the image, but "where" is the image, much like you would see it on a camera screen or a projector or whatnot.

You talk of information of the image - and this gives rise to the thought of the image? And yet, on what plane (of existence? of reality?) is this image?
    The image doesn't actually exist, so there is no where for it to exist.

We are not 'seeing' an picture with our minds eye. Instead our mind is undergoing a similar experience as to when we see something physical, it's a sensation that we interpret as a physical image. But the image doesnt exist at all, we think it does.

The information itself does exist on this plane of existence, but it is non localized. The information is not a physical object, but is the pattern of the physical.

ReputationRep:
    The "mind"? So, you mean the brain?
    In a way.

The mind is to the brain as the OS is to the computer.

Where is my powerpoint?
    It's in my windows. In way, also in my computer - the thing is that it can just as well be in a cd.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.