The Student Room Group

deVere Group

Hi

Been invited to a presentation in London about the deVere graduate program. I was just wondering if any one has worked for deVere before and what its like?

Is it commission based only or do you get a basic wage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
International wealth manager aimed at expats for the most part. All IFAs etc. Role will be a resourcer to senior IFA's most likely. There can be a minimum salary, if abroad enough to cover 1 months rent usually and the rest will be commission based on the clients who take up products.

Original post by ukstudent1989
Hi

Been invited to a presentation in London about the deVere graduate program. I was just wondering if any one has worked for deVere before and what its like?

Is it commission based only or do you get a basic wage?
Original post by perpetual
International wealth manager aimed at expats for the most part. All IFAs etc. Role will be a resourcer to senior IFA's most likely. There can be a minimum salary, if abroad enough to cover 1 months rent usually and the rest will be commission based on the clients who take up products.

Have you been on the deVere graduate program?
Reply 3
No but I have a few friends who made the mistake. Although for most of them they got to travel and spend a couple of months in interesting locations before the money dried up - getting commission which relies on others rather than just yourself is hard.

I get to meet the consultants when they try to sell me products, and they are very aggressive.

If you get to pick the country where you go, then use it to network and try and get a normal job there. That's what most people I know did.

Just as an example look at this review from someone who worked there...my friends told me the same sort of things.

devere-group.pissedconsumer.com/devere-group-scam-i-went-on-the-rip-off-course-20120726334829.html

Most IFA firms are the same to be honest, some make it, most don't. If you can bring in clients, it can be rewarding. But you need to make the most of it, as there is no real security. For the majority it's hand to mouth.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for your help. I don't think I'm going to bother going. I have heard so many bad things about the company.
Anyone going to the graduate meeting in Birmingham this Wednesday?
Original post by EdenProject91
Anyone going to the graduate meeting in Birmingham this Wednesday?

Nope but Bristol tomorrow! Do you know what the conference is going to entail?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by BristolGabbi
Nope but Bristol tomorrow! Do you know what the conference is going to entail?

Have you researched the company much on the internet?

I've also been invited to the meeting in Bristol tomorrow but i'm unsure whether to go after what I have read about them.

There is a lot of negative comments about the company online and how, after the training in Malta, you are left to find your own clients, sort your own visas and have to pay office expenses (including toilet roll!!). This would all be acceptable if you had a salary but the thought of living abroad, on my own, with little chance of receiving commission for a long time really puts me off.
Original post by Charbm

I've also been invited to the meeting in Bristol tomorrow but i'm unsure whether to go after what I have read about them.

There is a lot of negative comments about the company online and how, after the training in Malta, you are left to find your own clients, sort your own visas and have to pay office expenses (including toilet roll!!). This would all be acceptable if you had a salary but the thought of living abroad, on my own, with little chance of receiving commission for a long time really puts me off.

I was invited to the London presentation last week but I did not attend after reading the horrific stories as you mentioned above.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I am going to the meeting today... a little nervous as I've also read bad things about this company. It's only 2 hours and I live like 10 minutes away so its not a problem for me haha

will let you guys know how it goes though!
Original post by Charbm

So did you go in the end?
Reply 11
I am going to the meeting today... a little nervous as I've also read bad things about this company. It's only 2 hours and I live like 10 minutes away so its not a problem for me haha

Hey, I'm going to that meeting today, see you there hopefully.
I'm a little worried too as I've heard all of the negative feedback on various forums.

No harm in checking it out though I guess, see if everything is true.
Reply 12
Did it sound ok? I'm going to the one today and just hoping it's not a massive waste of time!

Hi

Did you attend the presentation? Please could you tell us how it was and any information relevant about the job involved? Also did they mention anything about pay (is there a basic or is it commission?), what about the training? Office locations Etc...

Thanks!

Reply 14
I'm going to their graduate meeting later today in London too. Very, very sceptical about it all considering what I've read about them.

If anyone's around, let me know if you wanna discuss this over a coffee or something before/after the meeting. Gonna try and get there early.
Original post by manij14
I'm going to their graduate meeting later today in London too. Very, very sceptical about it all considering what I've read about them.

If anyone's around, let me know if you wanna discuss this over a coffee or something before/after the meeting. Gonna try and get there early.

If you could let us know how it goes that would be great!

Reply 16
Original post by ukstudent1989
If you could let us know how it goes that would be great!

Hey sorry for the late reply!

I came into the presentation with a really negative, sceptical mindset after reading the horror stories about the deVere Group on blogs, websites, forums etc.

And tbh the presentation just confirmed my original thoughts. They had hired a public speaker to talk about the company and while he was a nice guy, he wasn't even part of the company (only hired earlier in the year for these talks). He seemed to focus on the benefits of working in international offices. Which is all good and exciting but in terms of the actual job, he didn't mention much. I didn't really find out more that I did from reading their website.

Even the real employees (who were sat at the back looking slightly bored) didn't seem that interested or motivated in answering our questions.

For me, this company is an awful fit so I'm not gonna go ahead and interview with them.
Original post by manij14

I came into the presentation with a really negative, sceptical mindset after reading the horror stories about the deVere Group on blogs, websites, forums etc.

And tbh the presentation just confirmed my original thoughts. They had hired a public speaker to talk about the company and while he was a nice guy, he wasn't even part of the company (only hired earlier in the year for these talks). He seemed to focus on the benefits of working in international offices. Which is all good and exciting but in terms of the actual job, he didn't mention much. I didn't really find out more that I did from reading their website.

Even the real employees (who were sat at the back looking slightly bored) didn't seem that interested or motivated in answering our questions.

For me, this company is an awful fit so I'm not gonna go ahead and interview with them.

Were there at least snacks or drinks?
Original post by perpetual
No but I have a few friends who made the mistake. Although for most of them they got to travel and spend a couple of months in interesting locations before the money dried up - getting commission which relies on others rather than just yourself is hard.

I get to meet the consultants when they try to sell me products, and they are very aggressive.

If you get to pick the country where you go, then use it to network and try and get a normal job there. That's what most people I know did.

Just as an example look at this review from someone who worked there...my friends told me the same sort of things.

devere-group.pissedconsumer.com/devere-group-scam-i-went-on-the-rip-off-course-20120726334829.html

Most IFA firms are the same to be honest, some make it, most don't. If you can bring in clients, it can be rewarding. But you need to make the most of it, as there is no real security. For the majority it's hand to mouth.

Thanks for the heads up!! Do you know if they at least pay for/arrange your visa and living expenses during the training process? Could be a good networking/travel opportunity. WRT getting other jobs abroad.
Original post by manij14

Thanks for the heads up! how many people were there? Also was there any mention of whether they pay for your travel and living expenses while abroad on training?

Quick Reply

Latest