Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brownbear92)
    So realistically after you complete the academy in Malta, what can you expect to be earning?

Also how much help is there in setting yourself up in a the new country you travel to?
    Where are you planning on going?

Depending on how much effort you put in and who you work for anything between £25-£35k realistically in your first year.

They'll put you up in a hotel for a week and in that time you can find yourself a rental (normally a share with 4-5 other people).

What other help are you looking for? Any questions just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millz24)
    You speak from first hand experience of working for DeVere then?
    My guess is your unemployed and will be for a long time - waiting for a company which has no negative comments what so ever from disgruntled staff? WAKE UP.
    I've no first hand experience of the Swat Valley, but I wouldn't fancy living there.

Unemployed? Try a student with an internship on 30k p.a over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    You speak from first hand experience of working for DeVere then?
    My guess is your unemployed and will be for a long time - waiting for a company which has no negative comments what so ever from disgruntled staff? WAKE UP.
    A good company is one where there is a department responsible for media relations. Not a lone keyboard warrior adding wood to the fire.

ReputationRep:
    Dodgy countries? That just shows the amount of knowledge you have.
    You are just like the dozen of other people who read the first piece of bad press and take it as the complete truth.
    It isn't just one piece of bad press, there's been an absolute ton of negative articles from both ex-employees and clients. Where there's smoke there's fire and if you can't see that, I think the investment industry really isn't for you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is any doubt money can be made in the role, that's not the issue, it's the ethics behind the company, the vehicles the "advisors" are made to use by the company as well as the terrible, non legislated advice given.

i interview a guy once for a position as a financial advisor within a retail bank, he boasted about how much he earned working for Devere which wasn't near as much as my guys made, but when he told me they had guys cold calling to find leads, and sometimes took to trawling facebook for 'new expat prey' I pretty much showed him the door.

ReputationRep:
    Its a scam dont bother. Glorified sales job, you work on commission.

ReputationRep:
    I've just come across this strand re De Vere Group.

I'm going across to Manchester tomorrow (4th April) to attend one of these meetings.

I'm wanting to work abroad but wanting the back up. Australia working ultimately for Acuma owned by De Vere is their new office.

ReputationRep:
    Reading these negative comments make me laugh.

I currently work for Devere and have grown up around this company for the past few years.

Those slating obviously have had bad experiences, not made it in short.

The company is a machine: You'll either make it along small fortune or it'll spit you out and roll onto the next person.

The potential you have is ridiculous, figures of £850k aren't going to be made by the rookie in his first year of joining, but yes people do earn that much after a long graft of working there way up - it doesn't just happen over night.

Those willing to put something on the line and take the jump are those who will make it, where as those on the other hand who sit in there bed room and slate a company after probably not even stepping out the front door are naive of the real world and should open there eyes a little bit more.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I'll happily tell you the truth from a current employee.

I am am going to attend a meeting. I have had 20+ years in financial services but been out of it for 3 years. I talked with Acuma who although owned by De Vere are separate and opening in Australia. I've always wanted to go back there. I am deeply concerned about all the negatives on here. Can you expand please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markjennings)
    I am am going to attend a meeting. I have had 20+ years in financial services but been out of it for 3 years. I talked with Acuma who although owned by De Vere are separate and opening in Australia. I've always wanted to go back there. I am deeply concerned about all the negatives on here. Can you expand please?
    If they are owned by devere, then you will get the exact same sales pitch to join them like everyone else, earnings potential, travel, work anywhere, you don't need to be regulated etc etc

in short, any company that requires you to fund your own travel to their overseas training centre, isn't a company, it's a scam. The reason they do this is because the no of folk dropping out once they understand the full package and how they work is huge. They just hope that because you have got that far you won't back out.

they use extremely underhand tactics, illegal methods of obtaining leads and they punt unregulated products. Which means if you work for them in say......Thailand trying to scam expats, then upon returning to a fully regulated environment such as the uk, you will never get a job in the same capacity ever again.

Australia has a fully regulated financial services system in place, so you would need to be fully diploma qualified, and above that, financial advisor is not on the skills list, so I would be astounded if they could even organise a visa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gillybop)
    If they are owned by devere, then you will get the exact same sales pitch to join them like everyone else, earnings potential, travel, work anywhere, you don't need to be regulated etc etc

in short, any company that requires you to fund your own travel to their overseas training centre, isn't a company, it's a scam. The reason they do this is because the no of folk dropping out once they understand the full package and how they work is huge. They just hope that because you have got that far you won't back out.

they use extremely underhand tactics, illegal methods of obtaining leads and they punt unregulated products. Which means if you work for them in say......Thailand trying to scam expats, then upon returning to a fully regulated environment such as the uk, you will never get a job in the same capacity ever again.

Australia has a fully regulated financial services system in place, so you would need to be fully diploma qualified, and above that, financial advisor is not on the skills list, so I would be astounded if they could even organise a visa.
    Actually even boiler rooms always pay for the employees flights. So that makes devere even worse really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have worked for DeVere in the Middle East, so i will tell you my story.

Firstly at the presentation in London they sell it to you very well, make it look amazing and that you will earn loads of money.

However when you get there completely different story, your visa is delayed for around 3 months on purpose so you don't get paid anything for the first 3 months, so when they tell you around £3000 is enough to bring with you to cover your expenses i am telling you that is an absolute lie, you need at least £10,000.

The reason for this is that you have to pay for your accommodation in either 2 payments or 1 full payment for the year as this is how landlords work in the middle east, then you need to cover your travel expenses, food costs, furnishings etc. You are expected to go into work and find your place in the first week without any help. Also as you do not have a visa in your first 3 months you have to do a visa run each month by paying the driver taking you to the border and then paying money at the border aswell.

Oh yeh and this standard wage of around £1000 you are promised you will get which is supposed to be given to you by UAE Law is taken back off you once you receive commissions and your visa payment is also deducted, also the company are obliged to provide you with medical insurance but surprise surprise you have to pay for it lol.

If you have any more questions please just feel free to ask. Top of my head there are two many things cant remember all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brownbear92)
    So realistically after you complete the academy in Malta, what can you expect to be earning?

Also how much help is there in setting yourself up in a the new country you travel to?
    This comment is based on working in UAE

In your first year you probably wont make much at all unless you have money behind you already and are willing to get yourself out every night going to network and be in the office at 8 in the morning cold calling till 6 in the evening, basically its a 24 hour job with no help what so ever.

You have to sort most things out yourself and your visa will be delayed for about 3 months finding it hard to open a bank account and getting a place to live etc.

The DeVere Group does have a very high staff turnover rate as you either make it or it breaks you into pieces and gets you into financial difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    Reading these negative comments make me laugh.

I currently work for Devere and have grown up around this company for the past few years.

Those slating obviously have had bad experiences, not made it in short.

The company is a machine: You'll either make it along small fortune or it'll spit you out and roll onto the next person.

The potential you have is ridiculous, figures of £850k aren't going to be made by the rookie in his first year of joining, but yes people do earn that much after a long graft of working there way up - it doesn't just happen over night.

Those willing to put something on the line and take the jump are those who will make it, where as those on the other hand who sit in there bed room and slate a company after probably not even stepping out the front door are naive of the real world and should open there eyes a little bit more.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I'll happily tell you the truth from a current employee.
    Firstly I have worked for DeVere and stepped into the front door so i am not just another person sat there making comments, and as you say its not for the people who sit around and expect deals to come through, however for a new rookie joining there is no support at all, you are just chucked in on your own expenses for around the first 3 months while your visa is delayed on purpose as it should only take maximum 4 weeks most companies do it all within 2 weeks.

So if a companies policies and processes are so slow and you get lied to then obviously it is going to demotivate certain individuals and send them to breaking point and then they are going to leave and be on the war path and post comments.

This potential of earning £850k like you said does not happen overnight, it takes years of grafting and a bit of luck on your side as that amount was made by 1 person in Abu Dhabi, not everyone is going to make that. There are are too many Financial Advisors now in UAE so it is very competitive and the PIC DeVere name has built up such a bad name that most people you call do not even give you the time of day so anyone thinking you going to make that figure in this day can dream on. Everyone networks in the same places and they most people advisors just go out to these Brunches and get drunk which potrays a bad image of the Devere group.

With Devere in the UAE you are restricted to the City you are based in which makes it a lot harder to get clients as you got like over 70 advisors from Devere running round Abu Dhabi trying to network clients in the same places.

I have seen the truth so all my questions have been answered, thanks for the offer though. Maybe you should invest in feedback surveys once employees leave and try and find out where you going wrong and try and rectify the problems and avoid people coming and leaving.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mate

Any update? I have been called to attend the presentation on Friday and all these postings make me think that is a waste of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alannun)
    Hi Mate

Any update? I have been called to attend the presentation on Friday and all these postings make me think that is a waste of time
    You will leave the presentation with a raging boner thinking about what you're going to spend all you're easily earned dough on.

I would buy an R8, a super hot prostitute to put in the passenger seat, at least 5lb of blow, a lion, a gorilla (to fight the lion), I would also hire little people with trays on there heads to walk around with me in nightclubs so I always have somewhere to put my drink.

oh wait.......it's all complete balls, you will work every hour possible, cold calling very well educated and wealthy expats, who do not need the two bob service these guys offer, and, due to the companies reputation, they inevitably put the phone down. They obviously trap the odd thick one and clean him out, but that's just natural selection for you.

dont go mate, it will save you money, let's say a tenner to get there, fiver for lunch, maybe a pint afterwards to think about buying a gorilla, so that's near £20 gone. Then you have the ten grand you need to pay for flights and accommodation for several months as you won't earn enough to have a roof over your head and eat food.

so that's me just saved you £10,020.........which is better than any de'vere advisor has done for anyone.

No no need to thank me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gillybop)
    You will leave the presentation with a raging boner thinking about what you're going to spend all you're easily earned dough on.

I would buy an R8, a super hot prostitute to put in the passenger seat, at least 5lb of blow, a lion, a gorilla (to fight the lion), I would also hire little people with trays on there heads to walk around with me in nightclubs so I always have somewhere to put my drink.

oh wait.......it's all complete balls, you will work every hour possible, cold calling very well educated and wealthy expats, who do not need the two bob service these guys offer, and, due to the companies reputation, they inevitably put the phone down. They obviously trap the odd thick one and clean him out, but that's just natural selection for you.

dont go mate, it will save you money, let's say a tenner to get there, fiver for lunch, maybe a pint afterwards to think about buying a gorilla, so that's near £20 gone. Then you have the ten grand you need to pay for flights and accommodation for several months as you won't earn enough to have a roof over your head and eat food.

so that's me just saved you £10,020.........which is better than any de'vere advisor has done for anyone.

No no need to thank me.
    Has devere got any subsidiaries? With a reputation like this they should have created different companies under the same umbrella, just to avoid saying devere

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    Has devere got any subsidiaries? With a reputation like this they should have created different companies under the same umbrella, just to avoid saying devere

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They do change their name now and then, they have been very good at what they do, $10 billion of assets under management is their claim, and if it vanished overnight, not a cent would they get back.

Just google them and read through some of the stories around them getting fined, jailed, operating without licenses, selling investments with an insurance license, and miss-selling as if there is no tomorrow.

Its a great place to work if you don't have the brains to become a fully FCA accredited adviser in a fully regulated financial setting.

ReputationRep:
    i am supposed to be going tomorrow- im a bit concerned with the negative remarks. i understand that it takes time and effort, but wont the effort be worth it- living the fast life?

its a dog-eat-dog world- and if people are fooled into accepting such advice from 'glorified salesmen', then i for one wouldnt be put off. if i was to invest my hard earned money, i would conduct rigorous research into what company i choose.

its there money- they do what they choose, who am i or anyone else for that matter to tell them not to do something- if i benefit... GREAT!! being successful requires more than just academic credentials- you need drive, which is why they come away with massive salaries (doing what was previously mentioned).

The thing that has put me off the most is the bad press that is increasingly coming to light, how can you sell a product on behalf of a company with a rapidly decreasing reputation.

im not saying what they do is right- but i feel the money has already been earnt, with every tom **** and harry becoming a 'financial adviser'

whats everyone elses thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, jus out of curiosity. Dd you need to prep for the final stage- assessment day? What was it like? They didnt really give you much to go on in regards to prepping for the final assessment.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys im new to this and i have been advised to go to the presentation on Friday in London. I am fully aware of the negatives and there are positives to the company as well (Which everyone seems to be forgetting),i emailed them today about the issues that have been raised and they had very good reasons as to why there are negatives. So i plan to ask the CEO the very same questions in a different way to see what he has to say. Always best to get both sides of the story. I have done my research in a lot of detail, and look forward to see what he has to say. Plus every company has bad points and you will always here those bad points and never any good.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.