Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Mid life crisis - at 19. Watch

I turned 19 today. I have very good friends and am close to my family. So why do I feel so stressed and anxious 24/7. I don't know what is.

I was dreading my birthday this year - I don't even know why. I've turned 19 and honestly don't feel older than 13. I've got insomnia and there's just this constant feeling of dread that will not go away. It's starting to affect my health - I feel drained, depressed, slightly out of breath and just feel like crying all the time.

I don't know what to do. I feel trapped, I don't feel like talking to anyone. I've got a lot of birthday wishes I need to reply to but I just don't want to read them anymore or reply to them.

I feel like my personality is changing. I can't be myself. It's like this miserable cover has permanently taken over and I have to force myself to act happy and cheerful but it's exhausting.

ReputationRep:
    Insomnia is horrific. Your symptoms are from sleep deprivation. I've suffered from insomnia most of my life and it can make your waking world a nightmare. What you need to do is deal with your sleeping problems and that will massively help the others. I would advise going and talking to your doctor. They may prescribe sleeping pills to help with it on a short term basis but ideally you need a long term fix. CBT can help in some cases as there will be an underlying cause as to why you aren't sleeping, do you have any idea what it might be? Is there anytime where you are able to sleep such as in the daytime? I find that sometime I can nap in the day which helps or sometime just lie in. Do you have problems staying asleep and waking up or mainly with falling asleep in the first place? Sometimes listening to an audiobook can help.

Hope some of this helps a bit. I understand where you are coming from and its a really horrible situation but don't give up hope. x

ReputationRep:
    It's called a quarter-life crisis.

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit like that a 19. My biggest regret was not talking to anyone about it. I suggest going to a GP and a counsellor before your feelings get worse, also talking to friends may help too.

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.