Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

I am starting a job with an investment bank over the summer and they will perform a background check on me...

Everything is fine with the information I have provided so I am not worried about this.

What I am worried about is that I had one more job for around 10-12 days out of which I've worked only 5 because it was a shifts job, which I did not list on my application. The work experience is in a different country and it has nothing to do with banking, so a completely different animal.

So I was wondering if they will only verify what I've added to the application in terms of work experience. It is completely reasonable for people to be checked for more than they've admitted in terms of criminal records but what about jobs? Would someone claim he had worked less ?

From reading other threads I believe Kroll will be doing the background check if that matters to my case.

Let me answer the questions "Why haven't you listed the job in the first place?" or "Why don't you tell them about the job now"?

Basically, I spent my time walking forwards and backwards and sleeping on the night shifts and after my last shift I told them I won't be coming anymore as I have found a better place. The job was **** basically, but if those people get contacted I don't think they will say good thing about me so I rather not disclose this unless it is really necessary!

I appreciate your help and sorry for the long post!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivan_Georgiev)
    Dear all,

I am starting a job with an investment bank over the summer and they will perform a background check on me...

Everything is fine with the information I have provided so I am not worried about this.

What I am worried about is that I had one more job for around 10-12 days out of which I've worked only 5 because it was a shifts job, which I did not list on my application. The work experience is in a different country and it has nothing to do with banking, so a completely different animal.

So I was wondering if they will only verify what I've added to the application in terms of work experience. It is completely reasonable for people to be checked for more than they've admitted in terms of criminal records but what about jobs? Would someone claim he had worked less ?

From reading other threads I believe Kroll will be doing the background check if that matters to my case.

Let me answer the questions "Why haven't you listed the job in the first place?" or "Why don't you tell them about the job now"?

Basically, I spent my time walking forwards and backwards and sleeping on the night shifts and after my last shift I told them I won't be coming anymore as I have found a better place. The job was **** basically, but if those people get contacted I don't think they will say good thing about me so I rather not disclose this unless it is really necessary!

I appreciate your help and sorry for the long post!

Thank you!
    Yup, there is enough funding to check with ALL the firms in the northern hemisphere if you have worked for them. They will contact numerous governments to see if you appear on their systems....

Cmon mate, think this through...

ReputationRep:
    Unless you've put someone from this job down as a reference, then no they won't find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    Yup, there is enough funding to check with ALL the firms in the northern hemisphere if you have worked for them. They will contact numerous governments to see if you appear on their systems....

Cmon mate, think this through...
    Haha, they are not going to contact all the firms of course but if they can simply get access to the national work register or something like national insurance payment they can see that I've worked on more places.

I am not familiar with the reach of these companies, what stuff they have access to and what they don't.

ReputationRep:
    No wonder investment bankers helped the world's economy go tits up if this is the calibre of person they are hiring, I thought logic and reasoning would be a prerequisite.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, they are not going to contact all the firms of course but if they can simply get access to the national work register or something like national insurance payment they can see that I've worked on more places.

I am not familiar with the reach of these companies, what stuff they have access to and what they don't.
    Wouldnt they have to do that for every single country then? As you said it wasnt in the UK. You are not worth the cost...... 10 weeks..... not MD yet.

ReputationRep:
    Alright I get it.. They won't find out.. I am getting paranoid.

Thanks a lot ! although this could have gone without the sarcasm haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    Wouldnt they have to do that for every single country then? As you said it wasnt in the UK. You are not worth the cost...... 10 weeks..... not MD yet.
    It's EU though...

ReputationRep:
    All this paranoia came from the people in this forums... I though background checks are lame... and just some basic stuff...

I read few threads about the depth of everything, how they dig up your entire past and so on.. and that's what got me worried ! and that was for Summer Interns, not even grad jobs

ReputationRep:
    All this paranoia came from the people in this forums... I though background checks are lame... and just some basic stuff...

I read few threads about the depth of everything, how they dig up your entire past and so on.. and that's what got me worried ! and that was for Summer Interns, not even grad jobs
    Its full of BS. Only thing they really check is your course at uni, criminal record and if you are legal to work in the Uk. Rest of the information is not required but it would be nice to have. If you cant provide the additional info they just sign you off.

ReputationRep:

They're more likely to find out someone's background by doing a quick search on Google for people who use their real names on a forum.

ReputationRep:
    People think background checks are more sophisticated than they actually are, especially for internships.

Part of that is due to employers giving out the impression that they can find anything/everything, as a deterrent for people lying to get jobs.

It's also because with these extremely competitive jobs, so much is at stake so people are naturally afraid that something somewhere may come up which could lose them the opportunity. If you haven't lied you have nothing to worry about. But it doesn't help when the screening agencies are down right incompetent.

I'm going through mine right now and it's just the basic stuff, uni confirmation, address confirmation, credit history check, criminal record check, A-level verification etc.

Haven't been asked about work experience yet but I imagine that's yet to come, and even in that instance they'll just confirm the dates you worked there.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the replies! It's really a big relief!

(Original post by James82)
    They're more likely to find out someone's background by doing a quick search on Google for people who use their real names on a forum.
    Haha That's not my real name, I'm not that dumb

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine OP. They are only looking to plug the gaps in your CV. Imagine how long they would have to be if they included any and all jobs most people have had when it comes to things like working part time at retail shops and supermarkets.

When Kroll contact you, they rely on you really. You get a long document that asks you to fill out all your addresses (if you were always listed on electoral roll at parents house just use that to save you using every address unless you remember all the places you've stayed), and also to list all employment places, which includes requests for contact persons etc, so just use the long positions.

The checking can take 6 months and is undertaken while you are already in the role. Compliance/HR would get an email if there was a query - and then you would have a chance to explain. But unless you lied about qualifications or a high profile role or hid any criminal convictions. There is little to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Same situation here worked in hong kong 6 yrs ago at a resutrant. Don't know how to put these details in my background form. I have literally no idea How to get contact details. Although I did put it up in my CV as it was my first job. Only way i see is need to fly back to HK walk to the resturant and ask for it assuming the resturant is still open but that would be stupid. Just gonna talk to HR about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hangmanh)
    Same situation here worked in hong kong 6 yrs ago at a resutrant. Don't know how to put these details in my background form.
    Reading this I thought you're worrying for no reason, as one doesn't have to declare every small job they've ever done.

but then...

I have literally no idea How to get contact details. Although I did put it up in my CV as it was my first job.
    Poor mistake.

Always, always make sure you have contact details/reference at the ready for everything you put on your CV. It should not be put on if you can't verify it.

Before each application cycle contact all former employers/firms. Check that the contact details are still current, and also make them aware that there's a possibility somebody may contact them regarding my work.

If you can't get hold of them, you can verify it through other means such as pay slips, employment contract etc.

ReputationRep:
    What about address history? Some firms ask for 2-3 years.

Say my home address has always been my permanent address for 10 years and everything is registered there. Do I need to put my address from when I did a study abroad at UPenn?

I did a class when I was at Wharton that I put on my cv because its relevant so I assume they will want to cross check there was an address over there I had at the time?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, I have a quick question regarding background checks. I have an internship offer with an investment bank (conducted by Kroll) and I have been asked to verify gaps in my CV that are over 3 months.

I have a gap between Oct 2011 - Apr 2012, at which point I was self-studying research proposals for MSc applications. I can obtain a academic character reference from my tutor which relates to my undergraduate degree but not necessarily to this 6 month gap. I was wondering if this is substantial enough evidence to verify the 6 month gap?

I was also volunteering as a private tutor at that time, but that was only through family and friends so cannot obtain a professional character reference through this method. Can anyone advise me of what I should do? Thanks in advance!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.