The Student Room Group

Which A Levels will most benefit an English degree?

I would like to study English, preferably at a top university, and am currently making my A level choices. I have decided to study English (obviously!), History and German. For my fourth subject I am debating between Classical Civilisation and Government and Politics. Which is most beneficial/impressive? Would really appreciate any advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Whichever you choose, you will have a fantastic set of A-Levels for an English degree. Pick the one you'll do well in and enjoy the most.
Your first 3 chosen subjects are perfect for an English degree, so it doesn't really matter which one you choose now, you can just go with whichever one you prefer best. However i do Classical Civilisation, which is very much focused on ancient greek literature and would probably be more relevant than Government and Politics.
Either one of those will be fantastic, you have two essay based subjects and a language, so I shouldn't imagine you'll have much trouble getting a place! I second the poster above: pick the one you'll enjoy the most.
Reply 4
Thank you so much for the advice. I feel a lot better about my decisions now. Have spoken to my school about it and have chosen Classics. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think government and politics would offer more beneficial skills than classical civilisation and is generally more acknowledged- I did politics and enjoyed most of it, i did history and english too excpet i did english langauge instead of german. They don't offer classics at my school (do you go to a private school?) but I probably wouldn't have chosen it anyway. As i'm coming to the end of my AS levels now, my best advice would be to chose what you enjoy, it'll make things so much better and easier in the long run.
Reply 6
All are amazing for an English degree!

If it helps at the beginning I took English Lit, History, German and Classical Civilisations- but I swapped to Government and Politics, which I don't regret in the slightest and I am really enjoying the course :smile:
So I don't think it matter wither way, just pick something that you will enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending