Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Bristol where the cost of living is relatively high. Could anyone rank Bristol, York, Durham and London in terms of costs of living?

(Original post by starry)
    I'm from Bristol where the cost of living is relatively high. Could anyone rank Bristol, York, Durham and London in terms of costs of living?
    london obv at the top but the rest are pretty much level pegging, sorry. all relatively expensive towns, perhaps durham a tad lower but its 'posh newcastle' so rents will be high and if newcastle is needed for a good night out then travel/social will also be expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Could you quantify the costs of living?

Assume I want similar accomodation in say London, versus Durham. What figures am I expecting? I don't travel out of Bristol very much.

(Original post by starry)
    Could you quantify the costs of living?

Assume I want similar accomodation in say London, versus Durham. What figures am I expecting? I don't travel out of Bristol very much.
    from unofficial guides: (bracketed comments are mine)

Durham

University Owned
    Catered: £70-77 pw. (28 weeks)
    Self-catered: £40 - £50 pw. (28 weeks)

Private
    The average rent in the area is £50 (add a good £10, student rents gone mad this year)

UCL

University Owned
    UCL Catered: £77 - £103 pw. Term time only.
    UCL Self-catered: £51 - £126 pw. 38 weeks.
    Inter-collegiate: £56 - £184 pw. (£184 is an exception - most are not more than £90pw.)

Private
    No limit, but typically £260 to £320 per month, excluding bills. (£65-80, i find this very unlikely, again this should be higher if my friends are to be believed)

LSE

Catered - £66-90 per week.
    Self-catering - £63-90 per week.

Students may have to pay for heating and lighting, some rooms may have telephones as well.
    (bloody hell, paying for heating woah)

Private Accommodation in London varies enormously, and students can pay anything from £250 a month to upwards of £400 per month. Most students will pay around £290 and will have to pay bills on top.

hope this helps

similarly

Bristol

University Owned
    Catered: £59 - £84 pw. Term time only.
    Self-catered: £32 - £50 pw. 30 - 37 weeks.

Private
    Average rent: £50 per week, excluding bills

York (pretty cheap hmm)

University Owned
    Catered: £57 pw.
    Self-catering: £48 - £52 pw. (30 - 38 week contract)

Private
    Average rent in the local area is £50 pw.

ReputationRep:
    id say it'd go in this order from most expensive to least:
    London, Bristol, York and then Durham

ReputationRep:
    Phew! I applied to Durham and not to any London unis because I was put off my the accomodation costs. It's particularly worrying for people like me where the exchange rate is $3.2:1 pound! Hee...

(Original post by VoodooDoll)
    id say it'd go in this order from most expensive to least:
    London, Bristol, York and then Durham
    well from the stats above it appears to go london, durham, bristol, york..

ReputationRep:
    The stats on unofficial-guides.com are outdated and inaccurate. Check out the university websites for the most recent figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddock)
    The stats on unofficial-guides.com are outdated and inaccurate. Check out the university websites for the most recent figures.
    Thanx

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.