Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

What would be better for your 21st? A new laptop or a holiday? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I've been given the choice of either getting a brand spanking new laptop or a holiday to Reykjavik in June for my 21st since my papa has came into a little bit of money.

I've never been abroad before or even on a plane so at first I was inclined to go for the holiday but now my boyfriend has a top of the range new laptop and well, I'm wavering...slightly in jealousy lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Hi guys I've been given the choice of either getting a brand spanking new laptop or a holiday to Reykjavik in June for my 21st since my papa has came into a little bit of money.

I've never been abroad before or even on a plane so at first I was inclined to go for the holiday but now my boyfriend has a top of the range new laptop and well, I'm wavering...slightly in jealousy lol.
    In that instance I'd probably take the holiday. The laptop would be more practical but unless you're in dire need of a new one I'd take the holiday

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that knowing my luck, I'll go on the holiday and then as soon as the money is spent for it, the laptop I have atm (which works fine right now, but I'll prob jinx myself!) will end up breaking or something! My laptop is a Vaio and will be 3 yrs old in December, so that is a factor

But Iceland looks so beautiful and a holiday would be great after all my exams in May. Damn decisions! Lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that knowing my luck, I'll go on the holiday and then as soon as the money is spent for it, the laptop I have atm (which works fine right now, but I'll prob jinx myself!) will end up breaking or something! My laptop is a Vaio and will be 3 yrs old in December, so that is a factor

But Iceland looks so beautiful and a holiday would be great after all my exams in May. Damn decisions! Lol
    Well, I've had my laptop for 6 years now and I do need a new one but I'm waiting till summer, uni present I hope!

And your laptop is only just over 2 years old, I think it would be a waste buying a new one now in all honesty, it should last at least another 2 if not 3 years. Maybe save up yourself to buy a new one if that's what you'd want :-) but I think your laptop will survive for a good while yet.

I'd take the holiday. Especially as you've never been abroad, and Iceland does look very beautiful. I'd go for that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Laptops go out of fashion, holidays never do you'll always have the memories, experiences and photos of your holiday, whereas laptops don't last all that long and in 50 years time you won't remember having a particular laptop whereas you'll remember your holiday

ReputationRep:
    Holiday = memories = priceless.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to think the holiday is the best

ReputationRep:
    Its a hard one but as you have never been away before I would say the holiday, the experiences will be better remembered than a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    YAY

ReputationRep:
    :yep: I'd definitely go for the holiday and :birthday: in advance too! Have fun whatever the choice!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diiiii)
    :yep: I'd definitely go for the holiday and :birthday: in advance too! Have fun whatever the choice!

Aww thank you! :')

ReputationRep:
    Holiday if you ask me. I'll recommend you to go solo traveling, that way you'll understand the real you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Holiday is defo what you should look go for, but, I kinda feel sorry for the laptop cos no one has stuck up for it and it might be feeling left out.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you, what are you planning on doing after your exams? Do you still have Uni? I think best thing to do is insure your currently laptop and go on holiday! :yes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If it were up to me, I'd have both...muwhahahaha :P

If I go on holiday, I will save up and maybe get a new laptop for my following birthday. Not one as fancy as my boyfriend's, but something decent.

I'm at college atm doing my HNC/D in biomedical sciences so after the exams in May I will be off until September so that would be perfect time for a holiday :P

My papa got £3,000 in compensation lately and he got my mum a ring worth £800 back in the day for her 21st so he said I can either get a laptop or a holiday. The perks of being the only grandchild :P perks to my mum too for being the only kid as well lol.

Good idea about insuring my current laptop actually! The warranty has probably ran out and me and my boyfriend don't have home insurance on our flat which we probably should tbh, so I will look into that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack the hat)
    Holiday = memories = priceless.
    You sound like a mastercard advert

ReputationRep:
    If you've never been abroad before, then take the holiday. Memories are much better than objects, especially if you're going with family; sounds harsh but they won't be around forever, memories of holidays with family are all some people have of their family.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with my boyfriend if I go. None of my family like travelling :L I agree with what you said about memories being much better than objects. Very true

ReputationRep:
    Laptop.

You can always googlemaps a holiday

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally go with the laptop. It depends on how you use it and what you do on the laptop though. A laptop is more practical and longer lasting than a holiday.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.